Burt's Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm a returning curmudgeon to the land of 80s after a brief sojourn into the land of Z3s. In September 2015 I purchased an LX450 off Craigslist knowing absolutely jack about cruisers. Burt was purchased with the intent to learn as I go as this thing was absolutely beat. No driver mirror, interior reeked like someone dumped an entire bottle of Axe on the carpet, one brake caliper out of four worked, the alignment was so bad it actively tried to kill you, it leaked every possible fluid, none of the shocks actually did anything, water was lubricating the birfs and differentials, and I had no clue where to begin. 246k with 7 previous owners having registered him in the four corners of the United States before I was unlucky enough to purchase this nightmare from a shady dude of Craigslist who wasn't even on the title. I was young, dumb, you know.
Over the past 6 years I have thoroughly enjoyed using Burt to rescue countless people from winter weather, drive places I thought were impossible, go vehicle camping in remote areas, effect general deforestation, and have one hell of a time driving and fixing this thing. I've had everything off up to the point of actually pulling the engine, though that was always the long term plan. Burt had other ideas however and sprang a slight coolant leak around the cylinder 6 area. Having moved up my timetable for a complete rebuild by about 5 years, I am now in need of the services of a reputable machine shop to do the headwork and any machine work the block/crank may need.
Thanks to the help of @FrackMacker , we've got the engine out and sitting on the stand awaiting teardown. If the hivemind has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

I live in Matthews, NC on the border of Indian Trail, and am working on converting the garage to something more Cruiser oriented so I can help locals with wrenching projects/repairs.

I'll throw up some pictures of what I've been up to in my absence from MUD. As well as a pic of my other rig doing the impossible.

Thanks in advance!

AWD doesn't mean AWStop.jpg

burt in snow.jpg

camp frostbite.jpg

hidey hole.jpg

wheelhorse.jpg

welcome, remember pulling in reverse is the weak link.

Burt sounds like a hell of a ride. The hive will chime in eventually. Most of us will tell you to do it yourself but we are gluttons for punishment/knowledge building.

Burt sounds like a hell of a ride. The hive will chime in eventually. Most of us will tell you to do it yourself but we are gluttons for punishment/knowledge building.
Man, if I had a full engine shop in my garage I'd be livin the dream.

I had the head on my 80 done at Quality Auto Machine in Monroe. I was pleased with their work.
Is that the one around the corner from that funky junction of roads? White building, nice old guy, been there 40 years?

Yes. His name is Mike Aldridge. I’ve never had him to do a complete rebuild on any of my engines, but I suspect he could do it. He’s an old school NASCAR guy. His brother, Doug raced in the 70’s and 80’s. Mike was Doug’s engine builder.

Yes. His name is Mike Aldridge. I’ve never had him to do a complete rebuild on any of my engines, but I suspect he could do it. He’s an old school NASCAR guy. His brother, Doug raced in the 70’s and 80’s. Mike was Doug’s engine builder.
Awesome man, that's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom