Bumbles Bounce Don'tcha know.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found some races at O'Reilly this morning, so came home, got a fire going and then had some paperwork to do for church while it warmed up some.

Drove in New races and then started working on the studs. That turned into a process that took waaayyyy too long. I should have just went over to the barn and used the press, but I was victorious in the end. So packed the bearings and loaded the hubs, new seals and the slid the assembly back on the spindle. Had to break for a quick meeting at church, then when I got home I bolted the new calipers on and stepped back to admire my work.

20210207_190501.jpg

I still need to set the bearing preload and put the hub back together and then swap the brake lines over to the new assembly, but im pretty happy.

Lesson learned: I will press the studs back in on the other side and not fool with trying to use a lug nut to draw them in or try to use a drift to pound them in.

I'll post a before and after once I get the old caliper off, but here is the new one just before being bolted on.

20210207_185023.jpg

Need to get this knocked out so I can bed in the brakes and drive it some this week before we leave for FL on Friday.

Welp, it's amazing how things go when you use the proper tools. I used the press on the passenger side studs and basically I did in about 3 hours tonight what took me 2 days to do before.

I basically left the passenger side in the same spot I left the drivers side yesterday. The difference was I spent 2 days getting there and I spent 30-45 minutes finishing up the drivers side before moving to the other side.

Passenger side is in worse shape, but it will do until I can get the 60 finished and ready to go in.

Anyway, here is the old caliper. Piston seals were gone, inside pad was on the backing plate, basically these were in need of some tlc, or to be replaced.

20210208_190901.jpg

20210208_190907.jpg

I ended up reusing the brake lines. After 3 days of soaking it still wasn't come loose and it didn't want to fool with it tonight, so new banjo bolts and washers and we are in business.

So tomorrow I just need to set bearing load, install and bleed the new caliper and put the hub back together.

Then oil change and install my trans temp guage if I have time.

Getting close.

Did you use the old stick on the brake peddle method when you connected the brake hoses?

@TeddyBoy or one of his guardsmen showed me that trick at GSMTR a couple years ago. When Nick's rear 3rd member broke. Coolest thing I ever saw.

@FJCRAWLER I have not heard of this sorcery that you speak of. I just had to let the fluid run out on the floor while I was quickly trying to get the new banjo bolts on to the calipers.

Before you start opening hoses or lines just put a stick or something that will depress the brake and will keep it depressed. You want lose much fluid and it's easier to bleed the air out. Just disconnect battery so the brake lights don't drain it.

Well hot damn... Makes perfect sense.

I will try that on the passenger side tonight.

thank you sir

No pictures tonight. I was just ready to be done, but done I am. He's back on all 4's. New bearings, seals, rotors, pads and calipers up front. Ready for an oil change and to bed in the new rotors and pads. That will be tomorrow's project. Tonight I'm just glad I got it back together.

Last edited:
No pictures tonight. I was just ready to be done, but done I am. He's back on all 4's. New bearings, seals, rotors, pads and calipers up front. Ready for an oil change and to bed in the new rotors and pads. That will be tomorrow's project. Tonight I'm just glad I got it back together.
Looking good. I may have missed it, but what are you getting from FL - sounds like a parts truck?

Not sure you'll be up for it, but it does look like the GAssholes trip March 3-5 trip to AOP is solidifying.

Looking good. I may have missed it, but what are you getting from FL - sounds like a parts truck?

Not sure you'll be up for it, but it does look like the GAssholes trip March 3-5 trip to AOP is solidifying.

Yeah, I have to pick up the 3rd 55 that Erin got as a package deal back before Christmas. 2 got delivered and the 3rd is in storage in Fort Walton, so we have to go get it.

March 3-5 you say... We've been keeping tabs on a trip. I know we are headed to ATL one weekend, but if we are free, then we will probably come down for Saturday at least.

Oil Changed, set the brakes on fire last night, so should be ready to roll. I need to clean out the truck and make sure I have all my straps and other misc road trip essentials tomorrow when its not 32° outside.

425 miles and 7 hours here I come x2...

Didn't get the trans temp guage installed, so we'll just take it easy. Since I'm not pushed, I may go ahead and pick up the oil pressure and water temp guage and add all 3 at once

Last edited:
s*** happens... more tomorrow, it's 2 AM and I'm tired...

20210212_183929.jpg

20210212_183935.jpg

Well the story goes that we got left headed to FL to pick up an FJ55 yesterday afternoon. Just about the Alabama line I noticed the exhaust nite was getting a little louder. We droned on til the first gas stop north of Birmingham. I crawled under and found the above. Drivers header completely seperatedy and the passenger side only had 1 nut holding. The 3 bolts were still in that ine, but it was hanging by a wing and a prayer. Thankfully we found an advance auto about a half mile up the road, so we open headered it down the road, bought all the hardware and found a well lite parking lot and spent an hour or so putting all new hardware in the flanges. Apparently the "included hardware" did not include any lock washers. A tube of copper seal rtv and a $30 worth of nuts and bolts later and we were back on the road, not yelling at each other from 3' away.

Thankfully the rest of the trip went well.

Morale of the story. Check your nuts, even if you pay someone else to tighten them, double check them...

Last edited:
Morale of the story. Check your nuts, even if you pay someone else to tighten them, double check them...
hold up guys, I'll take this one. :p

definitely words of wisdom here. Always check your nuts but paying someone to do is a personal decision.

I'll be here all week folks.

hold up guys, I'll take this one. :p

definitely words of wisdom here. Always check your nuts but paying someone to do is a personal decision.

I'll be here all week folks.

So does paying some else to check your nuts put you at risk for arrest on a pandering charge?

I had no idea this was a thing, but I now have 6 on the way.
View attachment 2574926

It's a D-ring that drops into the stake pocket on the trailer
I had my friend make some like that for me. Also along same line of logic had two spare tire mounts that can be mounted using same approach. I look around the various trailer mfg. web sites to get ideas and check out what others are doing.

So does paying some else to check your nuts put you at risk for arrest on a pandering charge?
why do you wanna know Larry? I'd shoot for vegas if you're really determined? o_O

Lol, I'd expect nothing less from you gassholes! Why do you think I tee'd that up so perfectly for you.

400 miles loaded and what seemed like all up hill.
IMG_3703.jpg

Ran 60 +/- most if the way. Averged 6 miles per gallon. Trailer dropped at Andy's in Jasper because mid-TN got hammered on Sunday night and Monday and I wasn't willing to chance it. Which was a good call because we saw one guy poop his pants when he slid all over both lanes and then saw a 6 car pile-up just south of Murfreesboro. So no way I'da made it home with that load. Well go pick it up this weekend.

During the ride back, erin and I discussed the next steps for Bumble. A handful of things would have made the ride a little better.

• 33 gallon bronco tank for the rear to increase overall range so we're not stopping every 150 miles to fuel
  • Set of nitto ridge grapplers. The Mickey Thompson MTs are great, but not appropriate for a tow rig. (I'm learning and they will be rehomed to something else I'm sure)
  • Transmission cooler with a thermostat to keep the E4OD happy.
  • Sound deadening for floors and firewall to help quiet things down.
  • New door seals to kill some wind noise.
Seems like a lot, but these are mostly superficial. Truck pulled strong and im happy with it. Now just dialing it in

Last edited:
Got 33 gallon tank, pump and sending unit on order. We'll see when it will ship. I'll probably pull the bed for this and clean up the frame and put a little paint on it.

Probably see about getting tires next week.

Then start collecting bits for the interior deadening project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom