Built Some Window Screens for the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's pretty slick!

If I had the skillz I would make them to sell. :hillbilly:

...and I would by them.

I'd been meaning to ask whether you can still get the 2nd row ones, but these have the advantage of being able to easily and manually open/close the (3rd row) window from the inside.

Curtis

I've still got a pair or two left. :hillbilly:

I've also got the optional/OEM screens for the 3rd-row windows, but I would just try to make them if I were you. ;)

awesome idea, I need to make some, have you thought about the second row?

Mot just left to get a calculator with more digits. Heh.....

Actually (he says, regretting his abuse of Mot), I'd be interested in pics of the factory screens as well as the price. Literally this weekend I'll be sleeping in the back of the Cruiser.

Anyone ever figure out a way to black out the sleeping area easily? The sun comes up at like 4:30am here in the summer.

DougM

I'm selling the "ONLY PAIR" of the OEM 3rd-row window screens (USED) I have for $25, plus shipping.

Oooops, I forgot to put the "1" in front of "25". :hillbilly:

To be honest, I've kind have been saving them for myself. :p

But I would be happy to sell you either one of the two pairs of the 2nd-row window screens left for less. :rolleyes:

Did I mention I have radiator grille screens too? ;)

Hijack off! (I hope! Sorry S4Cruiser!)

Yes and I have one, its in the first pic of my thread :cheers:

I thought I just had the one for the "TOYOTA" grille left after your order, but stumbled across another pair ("TOYOTA" and "sombrero") a couple of days ago. You can tell how organized my place is! :doh:

MOT has some JDM sets. I ALMOST got them but figured I'd try another route. MOT's were :grinpimp:
Yeah they're :grinpimp: even for me.

They're quilted and they're nice though, but not sure if they're worth the price. Unless you use them all the time or something!

I had an inquiry about the quilted shades the other day and contacted the manufacturer for the current price, but have not heard back from them yet.

Wanted to take a break from working on my new to me 40 and give the 80 some love so I figured I'd attempt to make a set of screens for the 3rd row windows. I sleep in the back from time to time and with the summer coming the darn mosquitoes make it near impossible to leave the windows open while sleeping without some type of screen.

I made a template out of cardboard then transferred that to 1/4" 3ply sheets. Free handed the inside with the jigsaw. Painted them black and bent some 'T' brackets to attach the screen with a suction cup.

Here are some pics of the finished product...not too shabby if I do say so myself :grinpimp:.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

How much would you charge to make another set?

Let me think about it. I really hadn't intended to make more for sale but I might. Shipping could be a deal breaker as the wood frames wouldn't withstand stacking or UPS's rough treatment.

I'm in the process of making a few minor changes. I left one mounted for most of the day yesterday and last night, didn't fall but the corners aren't fitting as great as before. I've got an easy solution and will post up some pics this evening. Also rigged up a quick storage solution for this weekends ride.

Thanks for all the compliments :beer:.

-Jon

Very cool! I gotta make me some of those!

F***ing brilliant work!

Eagerly awaiting your minor changes!

Once my cargo box was finished I was going to look at making some but I was just going to hot glue some magnetic strips all the way around and make them larger to reach the metal. Yours might fly off, in my opinion, during a windy night.

Last edited:
I made some slight improvements and think this will work the way I want.

- I redid my window outline template so that it is as close to the shape of the outside window weatherstrip lip as possible.
- Upgraded the wood I used to higrade 3 ply sanded pine.
- Changed the weatherstipping to a wider and more durable one that holds it's shape better.
- Added eye hooks to attach the bungee to (way easier to attach the bungee vs a staple).

I can assure you that these will not fall off as long as the window is not extremely dusty before attaching the suction cups. I took a test run down the freeway at 55mph for 10 miles or so and they didn't budge. So unless I'm sleeping through a hurricane I should be fine :D.

I'd be willing to build more if people wanted. 65.00 plus shipping.

Here are some updated pics...

:beer: -Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom