Builds Built for Family Adventure (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@r2m I’m not sure what brands you are shopping but as an example, KO2s in 285/70/17 and 275/70/18 are within $15-$20 of each other in price. You’ll likely not own the vehicle long enough to get that savings back when you factor in the cost of purchasing wheels.

Depending on your use, there are lots of benefits in going to a 17”, but long term cost is likely not one of them.

That's what I was seeing as well. 17 and 18 tire prices are edging closer and closer for quality brands. Hell, I used to pay over $400/ea for tires on my Jeep SRT...just part of life if you don't want cheap, China rubber. I agree that 17s make sense, but I absolutely loved these wheels and got them cheaper than a lot of the 17s I was considering, not to mention, their 22lb weight is incredible. My next tires will probably be 33-34" Ridge Grapplers, so still plenty of sidewall with the 18s. Again, depends on usage...this truck sees more beaches, forest service roads, and some easier rocky trails, etc. I don't plan on doing anything soon in this vehicle like what I used to do in my old Jeep ZJ (Trail #9 at Tellico for reference).

197002_504279632938_7638_n.jpg

Finally got around to installing the faux-TJM snorkel to celebrate turning 10k on the odometer. I'm not going to lie...my hands were shaking while I was drilling that first hole in the fender. There are absolutely zero noise or vibrations on the the interstate and it clears the Prinsu with a pinkie-width to spare.

IMG_20191005_173540_188.jpg

MVIMG_20191005_171945.jpg

MVIMG_20191004_192754.jpg

Wow, that last pic is really cutting it close. I have no issues with my snorkel and Gamiviti rack. Because I have the LED light bar on my rack, I had way too much noise with my sun roof open. Almost yelling the person just to my right at highway speeds. I went and made a clear acrylic wind fairing and it is now as quiet as if there was no rack at all (read: stock)! Love it!!:clap:

Wow, that last pic is really cutting it close. I have no issues with my snorkel and Gamiviti rack. Because I have the LED light bar on my rack, I had way too much noise with my sun roof open. Almost yelling the person just to my right at highway speeds. I went and made a clear acrylic wind fairing and it is now as quiet as if there was no rack at all (read: stock)! Love it!!:clap:

I was prepared to either re-shape the snorkel head w/ a heat gun or trim the Prinsu rack. Luckily, I didn't have to do either!

Any updates on this build? I fired off a PM @BMRisko about the bumper install.

The Ironman bumpers go on really easy it's just the cutting of the factory cover/grill that is difficult lol

I wouldn’t call it easy but it was the only one I’ve ever done, I don’t want to do it again I know that

I wouldn’t call it easy but it was the only one I’ve ever done, I don’t want to do it again I know that

Yikes, that's not what I want to hear lol.

Yikes, that's not what I want to hear lol.

It’s doable with some extra hands, I actually bought a used engine lift and used it to hold it in place and it made things easier, won’t be exact but it helps. Chris at Ironman is great on service, and I’m willing to send you as many support pics as needed, GXOR FB group is outstanding too, few guys were my support through both the front and rear Dobinsons bumper

It’s doable with some extra hands, I actually bought a used engine lift and used it to hold it in place and it made things easier, won’t be exact but it helps. Chris at Ironman is great on service, and I’m willing to send you as many support pics as needed, GXOR FB group is outstanding too, few guys were my support through both the front and rear Dobinsons bumper

I joined the GXOR pages via my other half's FB since I haven't had an account in 5+ years. I will be sure to use that as a resource for assistance when I start. I had planned on buying a cheap engine lift from HF like suggested in this thread. Any suggestions on what to use to cut/trim the plastic?

I joined the GXOR pages via my other half's FB since I haven't had an account in 5+ years. I will be sure to use that as a resource for assistance when I start. I had planned on buying a cheap engine lift from HF like suggested in this thread. Any suggestions on what to use to cut/trim the plastic?

Whatever works best for you, dremel for sure, tiny hacksaw, files, bumper edging from amazon, ended up buying a cordless jigsaw on the rear, made the long cuts much easier on the rear quarter panels. Oh and dry erase marker is perfect for drawing your cute lines, then wipes right off, and painters tape. I did reach a point where I eyeballed some areas, since the curves and shape, just find a common fixed point like the brake light or reverse light corner and try to use that on both sides, on the front the lip on the front bumper cover will be behind the Ironman bumper anyways. I’ve got a 2012, probably different on the predator mouths! Cut little and if you you need to, cut more again. Can’t put any back!

Whatever works best for you, dremel for sure, tiny hacksaw, files, bumper edging from amazon, ended up buying a cordless jigsaw on the rear, made the long cuts much easier on the rear quarter panels. Oh and dry erase marker is perfect for drawing your cute lines, then wipes right off, and painters tape. I did reach a point where I eyeballed some areas, since the curves and shape, just find a common fixed point like the brake light or reverse light corner and try to use that on both sides, on the front the lip on the front bumper cover will be behind the Ironman bumper anyways. I’ve got a 2012, probably different on the predator mouths! Cut little and if you you need to, cut more again. Can’t put any back!

Good to know! Another member here suggested an air saw as the plastic is rather thick. I was thinking about using an electric cut off wheel but I wasn't sure if the saw would be better, I imagine the saw would work better for straight lines and then I can clean up the edges with the dremel? Do you have a link or size for the edge trim?

Good to know! Another member here suggested an air saw as the plastic is rather thick. I was thinking about using an electric cut off wheel but I wasn't sure if the saw would be better, I imagine the saw would work better for straight lines and then I can clean up the edges with the dremel? Do you have a link or size for the edge trim?
Yeah there’s some tight areas so for me at least the easier to maneuver the better
Strongman Tools | 5 Meters / 16.4... Amazon product ASIN B073TNRBS7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom