Buildup with GM tranny ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started tearing down this '70 40 a few months ago. One thing leads to another. It was basically rolling with a bad carb and bad cluth when a bought it. It came with a early '70s 350 badly installed with a saddle mount kit and a three spd transmission and originally transfercase. The only thing I can find on the Tranny is the #4Z4 on the shift cover and #4ZC on the side. You might be able to see that there is a adapter plate between the GM bellhousing and the transmission along with a adapter between the transfer. After searching, I cannot find anything for these numbers. I was hoping the adapters would fit a SM420 or 465. Any chance in this happening? The adapters had to have been purchased by the PO along with the saddle mount and transfercase mount.
70-2.jpg
70-3.jpg
70-4.jpg

You have a Toyota four speed tranny there...

My first thoughts were the same but I am only able to shift a "H" pattern. Reverse should be far left and up. The shifter will not mover any farther left than the standard H pattern?

7mag said:
Reverse should be far left and up.

Nope.

To you, and down.

Find neutral....you will find the spring you need to overcome to get reverse by moving the cane side to side...then to you and down....it will make a clunk noise when it is in reverse....

That is a Toyota four speed transmission.

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve,
Thanks for your help and patients. I'm learning as I go. My '72 3pd is all I've known. Anyway, I'm happy to find out its a 4spd. Question now is whether to rebuild it. I plan on rebuilding the transfer case. Thanks again!

The answer to your question is no.
Other question is why are you thinking it needs a rebuild?
Sure, rebuilding a transfer case makes sense, that's routine. But a transmission?
Unless it's been run dry, or is full of water, put it in and run it.
You know it shifts now, if you turn the input does the output turn? Yes?
Good to go.

7mag said:
Steve,
Thanks for your help and patients. I'm learning as I go. My '72 3pd is all I've known. Anyway, I'm happy to find out its a 4spd. Question now is whether to rebuild it. I plan on rebuilding the transfer case. Thanks again!

As you can see from the orginal date of my first post, its been a while since working on this rig. I'm hoping by adding a few pics it might motivate me to work more towards completion.

Heres a little background on the project. Found the vehicle sitting outside a automotive shop in Copperas Cove, TX (Fort Hood) for a $1000. Engine was said to have run before sitting and the body had little rust with 10 coats of Krylon and dented on every corner. I intitially got the engine running I traded it to HawkDriver for two of his front bumpers. I already had a newer 350 for the project. Soon after, I moved shops and progress was haulted. After moving everything to a buddies shop, I've began working again. My intentions are to build more of a daily driver used for hunting with Saginaw steering, 4sp, bucket seats, 33x10.5 BFGs, etc.

Currently, I've rebuilt the original axles, sanded and painted the frame (por15), added springs, and installed the 350 using AA mounts instead of the original saddle mount. I also located a good 4sp tranny and transfer case, added Mark's saginaw kit and a used aux. fuel cell. I've also replaced bent spring-perches and custom fabed a set of shock towers. PO had bent everything on the frame. In the last week, I've sandblasted the epoxy primed the body. Theres a ton of work to be done but it should start cooling done a little here in Texas. Its still in the high 90's.

I just renewed my star and will add photos.

My star purchase must have gone thru. Here are a couple of photos.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Beautiful work! I am doing the exact same build up except I am using all GM drivetrain.

I don't know if beautiful is the right word, but thanks for the compliment. It really was a hammered vehicle to start with.

I just ordered a ton of new parts to help with the build along with a new Metal Tech cage. It should all arrive in the next week. I'd like to have the priming and under coating completed soon to set body.
004.JPG

Looks good David! Remember your old '82 plow truck with the leopard skin headliner? Shes coming back to life with a new aluminum tub........ :cheers:

Looks good David! Remember your old '82 plow truck with the leopard skin headliner? Shes coming back to life with a new aluminum tub........ :cheers:

Dude, I'm surprised you remembered me. I've seen it sitting in ya'lls yard while traveling down I35. I noticed two weeks ago it was gone. That truck ran pretty good for the shape it was in. Awesome your bringing it back from the cancer. The Leopard headliner was "tight".

Last edited:
I have the headliner if you would like it for this project :lol: ... :cheers:

Thought I could give a a progress update if anyone gives a sh*t. Tired of breathing bondo dust, I started building a rear tire carrier following REZARF's design. Temperatures have been very pleasent making it nice to work in the shop. Still need to complete the body work and spray undercoating in order to set the body. My Metal Tech cage should arrive any day now.

IPOR had everything needed for the carrier. So far, it seems to be pretty stout.
003.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG

Progress update. Even though I have a ton of body work to complete, I had to hit the metal tech cage for a change. Thought it turned out great. Still need to weld in the corner bars above the seats. Placed the body with new poly bushings after spraying Gator Gaurd II for under coating. Also painted the firewall. Things are starting to come together. Need to build bucket seat brackets and continue sanding and priming the body. More to come.

Thought I'd continue posting a few current pics of my extremely slow resto. At the present, mounted the cage permently and began to align body panels. I've painted the engine compartment with inner fenders, bib, and dash. Ran new fuel line and power steering hoses along with installing a new Flaming River steering column. Built new seat brackets using cheep Best Top fixed back seats. I may regret not saving for better reclining seats.

Still need to complete rough body work, install filler neck for aux fuel tank, and install EZ wiring harness.
011_resize.JPG
016_resize.JPG
023_resize.JPG

Remaining pics with dash work and new steering column. Also installed a fuel valve for the aux tank and underseat tank. Valve is mounted besides the tool box routed under the body with rigid lines. Worked out pretty well.
019_resize.JPG
022_resize.JPG
020_resize.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom