Builds: My First FJ40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pour some Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let it set for a couple of days, then put it in 2nd or 3 gear and rock the car back and forth. If it moves you’re in business, pull the distributor, change the oil and then prime the motor with a drill motor. Change the water pump, thermostat, hoses and belt. Replace the clutch master and slave cylinders, replace brake master and upgrade to dual circuit if it is still a single master system.

I just did this to a 1970 40 I bought, it had been sitting since 1985. I had to replace the radiator and clean the block as well.

Good luck with your build.

Pour some Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let it set for a couple of days, then put it in 2nd or 3 gear and rock the car back and forth. If it moves you’re in business, pull the distributor, change the oil and then prime the motor with a drill motor. Change the water pump, thermostat, hoses and belt. Replace the clutch master and slave cylinders, replace brake master and upgrade to dual circuit if it is still a single master system.

I just did this to a 1970 40 I bought, it had been sitting since 1985. I had to replace the radiator and clean the block as well.

Good luck with your build.
That reminds me that it's currently sitting with some in the cylinders. The spark plugs weren't looking too pretty. I'll be going out to see if I can get the motor to turn tomorrow, so here's hoping.

20210320_141138.jpg

On the bideo of your engine I saw a 155 sticker on your valve cover. I think that means you already have a 2F. Check your engine number over your starter. But yes, the 2F and 1F can support the same 3 speed or 4 speed bell housing.

On the bideo of your engine I saw a 155 sticker on your valve cover. I think that means you already have a 2F. Check your engine number over your starter. But yes, the 2F and 1F can support the same 3 speed or 4 speed bell housing.
The F155 was the last iteration of the 1F, but it's still definitely a 1F, I'm afraid.

All right, so I've made some progress on the FJ40. I pulled the spark plugs and put some ATF down the cylinders to soak for a few days. Miraculously, after putting her in 3rd (and making sure the t-case was in gear), the engine turned over with no fuss. So there's actually hope of the 1F being resurrected. While a 2F swap is likely going to happen at some point due to overall lack of rebuild parts for the 1F being NLA, I'm hoping to be able to get the 1F working for at least a little while.

There is also a little 2 bolt cover at the front right side of the engine that you can take off and look inside the engine to see if it looks all rusted in there or not. You should do that with all the oil drained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom