Building a 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PXL_20220311_054039619.jpg

I double checked the compression tonight since I had not checked up to this point. I didn't think it would be contributing to the knocking sound but figured it would be good to know more about this 2H.

Cyl 1 -390 PSI
Cyl 2 -390 PSI
Cyl 3 -390 PSI
Cyl 4 -440 PSI
Cyl 5 -400 PSI
Cyl 6 -405 PSI

Im not sure why cylinder 4 was so much higher than the rest but everything checked out nominal per the FSM (398 PSI)

Last edited:
I also spent some time trying to track down where the knocking sound was coming from. It sounded like the timing gears around the fuel pump timing gear and or the fuel pump its self. Is it possible that something is not properly purged and there is air in the system, either fuel or oil?

I am debating hooking up the cooling system and running it on the bench for a while to allow it to get fully purged and up to temp rather than running for a min at a time before shutting it off.
Besides the obvious risk of damage has anyone seen symptoms like this resolve after running for an extended period?

Did I see this right.. you put your hand against the sump and the noise seemed to stop??

Seems as though something is resonating...check carefully around the motor. Must be something insignificant. Sounds almost like an air popping sound of sorts.

Seems as though something is resonating...check carefully around the motor. Must be something insignificant. Sounds almost like an air popping sound of sorts.
Agree with this—the sound doesn’t go away when you put your hand there, it just stops resonating against the sump. It’s acting much like the body of an acoustic guitar or a violin and amplifying the sound.

It sounds like when u put your finger in a beer bottle and you pop it out. Had you coolant in it when u ran it? Perhaps the water pump impeller, something to that effect. Doesn't sound metallic, so I don't see how this can be something that could damage your newly rebuilt engine by runing it again to try to identify it. Check oil levels, pull the valve cover to see if it gets oil to the top.
This is baffling!

At this frequency I’m thinking lifter, push rod, rocker, valves. Oil pump relief v/v (usually rattle not hammer sound).
Like said before, might be somewhere else and resonating on oil pan.

I'd stabilise that stand and run it again.. given it changes when your hand is against the sump I dont think its anything serious.

It sounds like when u put your finger in a beer bottle and you pop it out. Had you coolant in it when u ran it? Perhaps the water pump impeller, something to that effect. Doesn't sound metallic, so I don't see how this can be something that could damage your newly rebuilt engine by runing it again to try to identify it. Check oil levels, pull the valve cover to see if it gets oil to the top.
This is baffling!

I was just running it dry without the water pump installed

At this frequency I’m thinking lifter, push rod, rocker, valves. Oil pump relief v/v (usually rattle not hammer sound).
Like said before, might be somewhere else and resonating on oil pan.
I doubled checked everything under the rocker cover, it looks like its getting fresh oil and nothing is stuck or out of place. The noise also sound like its coming from the front of the engine from the timing gear area.

I'd stabilise that stand and run it again.. given it changes when your hand is against the sump I dont think its anything serious.

Thats the plan, unrelated to the noise I am going to rebuild the alternator and send out a few last parts to be plated so all my hardware matches :rofl:
Then Ill hook up the water pump and radiator and run it up to temp.

I finally got around to finishing up the last few things on the 2H. rebuilt and mounted up the alternator and also mounted the water pump housing and new pump. The oil lines for the vac pump are all hooked up and I put on a belt for mock up.

PXL_20220318_030315942.jpg
PXL_20220318_030329524.jpg
PXL_20220425_201005448.jpg
PXL_20220425_201009195.jpg
PXL_20220425_201014160.jpg

If I run the engine as it is here, without the alternator hooked up to a battery or voltage regulator, will it damage the alternator?

There will be no voltage at excitation so no output.
As for vac pump, it need oil to lubricate the rear alt bushing and the vanne in the pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom