build quality of later 2020/2021 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With my 2014 LX that has very low mileage for its age (only 130k kms)
The following is bad
1 - telescopic steering doesn't work - I can adjust it but it doesn't greet me anymore.

2 - AC blows better from some vents than others

3 - Headlight shaking on rough roads

4 - radiator leak

5 - Power back door stopped working

Last edited:
yes we were victim of early 8 speed issues. Ironically our LC500 also had trans problem
Wait until you here about the twin turbo v6 horror stories some 300 series owners are having.

I personally know someone who had to replace his block due to a knocking noise that came out of nowhere. Apparently some piston issue that resulted in more issues and they replaced the block on warranty.
Had only 43,000kms. Early production 300 but many videos circulating in the Middle East of 300s with engine issues.
Toyota is aware of the issue.

Wait until you here about the twin turbo v6 horror stories some 300 series owners are having.

I personally know someone who had to replace his block due to a knocking noise that came out of nowhere. Apparently some piston issue that resulted in more issues and they replaced the block on warranty.
Had only 43,000kms. Early production 300 but many videos circulating in the Middle East of 300s with engine issues.
Toyota is aware of the issue.
I heard the engine block manufacture forgot to machine/bore certain oil galleries leading to compete low end bearing failure. Google it. It’s sad.

I heard the engine block manufacture forgot to machine/bore certain oil galleries leading to compete low end bearing failure. Google it. It’s sad.
Wow. I remember hearing Tundra owners were having issues but never looked into it much.

The twin 6 issues here actually lead to an increase of 1GR LC300 sales since many new owners are afraid of buying a twin 6 now.

not nice issues to have when launching an all new engine to a group of people like land cruiser owners who are very careful and cautious about new things

Also some owners have been complaining of overheating issues in the desert in summer.

Also random fact
When I bought my 300
They had 4 vehicles identical to mine in one lot. All brand new super fresh off the boat.
I picked the one with the best panel gaps/overall finish. Ocd much? Yes but if you had the chance and they are lined up together...wouldn't you?
The best part about America is that I got the choice of 2 - a new 2015 or a new 2016. Both black. I bought the 2015. Never really cared about panel gaps or bumper matches but then I keep them for decades to drive and all this becomes relatively unimportant almost immediately.

But the IP? I look at that all the time I drive the vehicle and it had better be perfect.

They were all bought new with less than 10 miles on the ODO. All driven by me, never off-roaded, mostly highway miles. Oil changes every 5k miles and run with Top Tier fuel. Essentially babied. I also can "fix the headrest by lowering it, but I am a sucker for symmetry and like them to match as I have mine up a click or two. I'll see if I can track down the VIN numbers to find build plant.
Build plant will have zero bearing on a headrest rattle. The seats are pre assembled by the OEM and bolted in on the line. The seats aren’t even unwrapped.

The best part about America is that I got the choice of 2 - a new 2015 or a new 2016. Both black. I bought the 2015. Never really cared about panel gaps or bumper matches but then I keep them for decades to drive and all this becomes relatively unimportant almost immediately.

But the IP? I look at that all the time I drive the vehicle and it had better be perfect.
You know the reason I was/am so ocd about panel gaps and paint mis matches?
Being ocd about buying immaculate used cars.
After realising new cars themselves aren't perfect and seeing with my own eyes how some new cars are, it actually put me at ease with the old ones.

Before anyone thinks I baby my new cars wait till you see how I drive on the dunes.

I have a 2011 and drove a 2021 for a little bit. Besides the tech and tightness of the suspension, due to mine being old, there wasn’t much difference, except the newness of course. My 2011 has be amazingly rock solid with very limited rattles and the 2021 was very nice as well.

My 2019 has 3 rattles: headrest (fixed under warranty), driver side door sail panel (fixed by stuffing cushion into crack), and driver door near back (minor, not fixed, no intervention needed since occasional).

My infotainment center failed. $$$$$$$$. Warranty fix. Promptly afterward, I got extended warranty. :D

Overall love my LC. BUT is it as trouble free as people say? No.

Now if people are saying that 2020-2021 are worst than mine then that is not good.

Btw, 2020-2021 has arguably stronger front differential. So that may balance out the rumored “decrease quality”??

My 2019 has 3 rattles: headrest (fixed under warranty), driver side door sail panel (fixed by stuffing cushion into crack), and driver door near back (minor, not fixed, no intervention needed since occasional).

My infotainment center failed. $$$$$$$$. Warranty fix. Promptly afterward, I got extended warranty. :D

Overall love my LC. BUT is it as trouble free as people say? No.

Now if people are saying that 2020-2021 are worst than mine then that is not good.

Btw, 2020-2021 has arguably stronger front differential.
interesting that the infotainment center failed so soon.
Did it happen suddenly or was it gradual?

interesting that the infotainment center failed so soon.
Did it happen suddenly or was it gradual?
Fairly sudden. The lights behind the hard buttons flickered and the hard buttons failed to respond.

Want to hear the honest truth?

I had a 2022 Honda Ridgeline. It was a total POS. Wheel bearings went out day 1. Took 10k miles before Honda dealerships agreed to fix it. 30k miles later, seemingly, failing again as i am hearing the same noise and getting worst by the day…or maybe front diff was going out. Beyond this, the Honda had panel gaps galore, worst than a Ford Pinto. Various rattles. Truck itself was useful as heck (love everything about it from function standpoint) but clearly, quality (pandemic to blame?) was horrible. Sold it while resale value still decent because i was not about to throw down thousands of dollars for incompetent Honda mechanics go for shopping spree post-warranty.

Add in my above issues with “best made car on planet” Land Cruiser. Had (force?) to buy extended warranty on the “most durable car on planet” because the infotainment center costs like $8000-10,000 to replace!!

My trust in Japanese brand took two hits.

But to be fair, my wife’s GX is perfect so far…but we don’t use it much. Our 2015 MDX is solid after 165,000 miles.

So, given my issues with Honda and Toyota, you know what? **** it, i bought an American car for the first time in my life! Literally, never even thought about buying American brand! Actually, one of the big push was the generator that came with the Ford. But you know what? I also got extended warranty on the Ford (a must)…so, will see how ownership tradjectory will differ from LC.

(BTW, i still have my 2019 LC in garage…it is my “mid-life” crisis car.) :)

Want to hear the honest truth?

I had a 2022 Honda Ridgeline. It was a total POS. Wheel bearings went out day 1. Took 10k miles before Honda dealerships agreed to fix it. 30k miles later, seemingly, failing again as i am hearing the same noise and getting worst by the day…or maybe front diff was going out. Beyond this, the Honda had panel gaps galore, worst than a Ford Pinto. Various rattles. Truck itself was useful as heck (love everything about it from function standpoint) but clearly, quality (pandemic to blame?) was horrible. Sold it while resale value still decent because i was not about to throw down thousands of dollars for incompetent Honda mechanics go for shopping spree post-warranty.

Add in my above issues with “best made car on planet” Land Cruiser. Had (force?) to buy extended warranty on the “most durable car on planet” because the infotainment center costs like $8000-10,000 to replace!!

My trust in Japanese brand took two hits.

But to be fair, my wife’s GX is perfect so far…but we don’t use it much. Our 2015 MDX is solid after 165,000 miles.

So, given my issues with Honda and Toyota, you know what? **** it, i bought an American car for the first time in my life! Literally, never even thought about buying American brand! Actually, one of the big push was the generator that came with the Ford. But you know what? I also got extended warranty on the Ford (a must)…so, will see how ownership tradjectory will differ from LC.

(BTW, i still have my 2019 LC in garage…it is my “mid-life” crisis car.) :)
Wow
and I used to hear that Honda are some of the most reliable vehicles. I guess I am way out of date with my info.

Not much of a difference I have 2008 lx and 2021 HE..... rock solid... as long its made in JAPAN we are good!

I think most of this mindset.... mechanicals are the same!

Toyotas made in Mexico and USA are suspect! Thus, all lexus are made in JAPAN!

Not much of a difference I have 2008 lx and 2021 HE..... rock solid... as long its made in JAPAN we are good!

I think most of this mindset.... mechanicals are the same!

Do you notice the lexus being noticeably quieter with its extra sound deadening and dual pane front glass?

The door thud for example on my 2014 LX and overall interior quietness is noticeably better than a Toyota LC200.

It's even miles better than my base LC300.

as long its made in JAPAN we are good!

i used to think like you once upon a time.

-my CA built tacoma has 570 k miles. All original.

-My baja mexico built tacoma has 110k trouble free miles

-our LX 570, japan built, needed new transmission at 31 k mikes

** the million mile Tundras and tacomas on tge news, have been all TX made**

i used to think like you once upon a time.

-my CA built tacoma has 570 k miles. All original.

-My baja mexico built tacoma has 110k trouble free miles

-our LX 570, japan built, needed new transmission at 31 k mikes

** the million mile Tundras and tacomas on tge news, have been all TX made**
To be fair didn't that specific Tundra have a 2uz?
Having a 2uz is cheating in these high mileage rigs.

yes, engine built in Alabama. Truck assembled in TX
You know how many land cruisers in the Middle East crossed that threshold right?
It's not even an event.
Most of the ones that end up reaching high miles without much engine work are almost always 2uz rigs
1fz would ahve been rebuilt a couple of times before its first mil on average.

Meanwhile some new American and Japanese built twin 6 3.5 v35A are going out before even reaching 50k kms 😅

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom