build quality of later 2020/2021 200s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
people who have owned pre 2020 200s and those with 2020+ 200s
have you noticed the later one to be better or worse than your earlier 200s?

I have had some friends who have owned several 200s say the 2021s 200 they owned didn't feel as ''solid'' as the earlier ones they owned, and some of the early ones weren't even that early, some of them were 2016-2018/19s.
So curious, is this true or is it an old wives tale...or so to speak. Do covid era built 200s feel less ''solidly put together'' compared to earlier pre 2020 200s?

technically shouldn't the later model year of a generation be the best of the best?

With the 300, I can confirm that for sure, in terms of how solid it feels interior wise and just overall build quality of what you can touch and feel, while some stuff feels nicer to touch, it definitely feels a step down (solidness feel wise) compared to my 2014 LX 570, regardless if the actual frame/suspension is on par or tougher but that isn't a fair comparison because one is a Toyota and the other is a lexus.

What 2020/2021 LC200 owners who owned earlier 200s think?

Last edited:
Honestly, the main reason I bought a new 2015 over the 2016 was my perception (in direct hands on comparison) that the buttons on the IP of the 2016 were ‘flimsy’. They literally wiggle. The chrome plastic also seemed cheap.

The tech of the 2015 was clearly out of date when I bought my LC but the knobs, buttons, and interior plastics are rock solid.

I couldn't stand the older interior. Looked really dated and quality didn't seem great. I specifically wanted the newer interior and have found that the interior on my '18 is rock solid quality wise

Keep in mind
I am referring to
2020/2021

Vs
all of them of them up to 2019ish

So even the first 4 model years of the last facelift (16/17/18/19) vs the last 2 years (20/21)

I don't see why there'd be a difference between my 2018 and the 2020/2021. They're using all the same parts, built in the same factories

I don't see why there'd be a difference between my 2018 and the 2020/2021. They're using all the same parts, built in the same factories
That is a fair assessment.
I could have sworn someone here as well said his 2018 felt more solid than his 2021 that he owned.
Which would oddly coincide with what some 200 owners around me have been saying (half way across the world)

ok, but that's totally subjective. How can anyone possibly quantify "feel"?

ok, but that's totally subjective. How can anyone possibly quantify "feel"?
If one owned both, they would know for sure.
Even if not visible at first to the naked eye, one drive would be enough to feel things out (after making sure other factors like tire pressure or any other variables are out the way)

I am hoping the guy I have in mind sees this thread. I remember reading a post a while back where he mentioned this.

Ok, but there are variances between rigs period. My 2018 will feel differently than another 2018, etc, etc. Not counting wheels, tires, suspension, mileage and countless other factors. I guess my point is you're not going to get any meaningful data. Other than someone telling you "Oh yeah, totally!" Which means exactly nothing.

Ok, but there are variances between rigs period. My 2018 will feel differently than another 2018, etc, etc. Not counting wheels, tires, suspension, mileage and countless other factors. I guess my point is you're not going to get any meaningful data. Other than someone telling you "Oh yeah, totally!" Which means exactly nothing.
Yes, this is true as well.
I know for a fact even amongst yoshiwara vs Tahara produced 200s that most of the time I found the Tahara 200s to have better panel gaps in some areas and less bumper to body color difference in certain colors.
I actually once refused delivery of a brand new 200 for that issue (but that was in 2017 anyway and a yoshiwara rig)

So, again that is another can of worms.

I was just curious if any statistics are out for covid era produced vehicles where possibly low worker morale affected certain things?

Anyway this thread may be at a dead end.
Just my personal ramblings.

I was attributing these differences (real or perceived) to the QC shortcomings (real or perceived) during the height of COVID hysteria.

I was attributing these differences (real or perceived) to the QC shortcomings (real or perceived) during the height of COVID hysteria.

I definitely thought that as well.
I wonder if they have any statistics out about it?
When covid went all out
That was around March 2020....so towards the tail end of MY2020.

I can tell you all about the quality shortcomings I have noticed in my 2023 lc300 for example vs some earlier 200s I have owned but that is a whole different generation.
They definitely include worse panel gaps, more orange peel on the paint, some poor rubber choices, flimsy plastic fenders and that's just scratching the surface.
However not sure if that would be attributed to covid as these things seem to still be present the newest 300s arriving now.

Last edited:
I'll play the game.

My 2021 has a slight rattle I haven't tracked down yet somewhere around the driver's left vent.
The driver's window will make a "POP" when it's rolled down as the rubber sticks to the glass.
Exterior window trim moves when pressed.

Everything else seems/feels/operates as I think it should. These could be a couple covid-era QC escapes. Not enough to warrant hysteria or to not buy a 20/21 IMO.

2018 4Runner has been flawless.

Coming at this from the angle of the LX... We have 2 LXs in the family: a 2008 and a 2021. The 2021 is noticeably more solid and better put together than the 2008 today (specifically on the interior). How much of that is the age difference and facelift changes, I can't say. From a mechanical standpoint, having crawled around underneath both a decent amount, they look and feel identical.

My 2021 LC200 build Sept 2020 has been trouble free short of one headlight unit with condensation replaced under warranty. Overall I think all 200's are very good, do not believe they did a worse job in 2020 and 2021 and it probably comes more down to individual random issues and very few of those (I basically had one "infant" failure, some will say there you go, then again I have seen earlier model year owners mention this as well).

My approach
In Sept 2020 I looked at LC200's from 2021 new to 2014. When I divided price by 250k miles - actual miles I came to a very similar ratio. Then my search shifted to 2016 and newer as I like the interior and exterior looks more and I had cash to buy it. Also wanted white for the sun and pre 2016 are often white on beige interior, which is not for me. Then I decided zero or low mileage is preferred and ended up negotiating a good deal (MSRP - 6.5%) on a new one, build Sept 2020. Whether a 2014 or 2015 is in fact a more reliable choice, maybe. I think quality wise there is not much between them and it then comes down to any random individual issues one may or may not encounter. Seems however good any machine with many components is build, one may encounter one or a couple minor issues. As long as they are minor... it works for me.

Further Thoughts
Depending on money situation I would buy 2016+ with the lowest milage I can reasonable effort. Color (for me gray, silver or white) and interior (black) would be my other filter. Otherwise, a 2014 or 2015 would be the next sweet spot with black interior. If money is further an issue 2013 or earlier is all game and probably a great choice as well.

Then test driving it (feel, gearbox smoothness, pick up, noise, tracking, any virbations, breaking straight etc) and inspecting for all the possible weaknesses discussed on this forum is key (rusted KDSS bolts, rusted frame, signs of water pump leak, signs of oil leaks, radiator crack on earlier model, later all fixable of course).

All in all
All is all my experience has been great. Best all round vehicle I have owned. Also very quiet for the big vehicle it is. I have made some mods (airbag man bags, rhino roof, self made wind fairing) and tow frequently with it putting an 18ft sailing kayak on it. Also did some easy trails in Colorado and Utah, awesome vehicle. Whichever way you go including LX or LC, count yourself fortunate and get ready for almost any adventure you can think off.

1696027340872.png

1696029031329.png

Overall success with the search and decision. Send us a picture once you move.

2021 HE Tahara built here, just rolled over 20k miles and the truck has been flawless and everything is still solid as a rock. Makes me wonder if I’ll ever use the extended warranty I bought!

Does anyone know when Toyota swapped over to the r1234yf refrigerant from the old r134a? I thought it was mandated in 2021 that all vehicles sold in the US had to use the new refrigerant type (where some studies show r1234yf equipped vehicles cool 15-20% less effectively than comparatively equipped r134a refrigerant vehicles… this wasn’t a study on Land Cruisers, but a study as a whole)

I am curious if it swapped in 2021 or 2020.

I had a brand new 2021 HE and made a ridiculous amount of money between the purchase price and trade in value, while also “downgrading” to a 2016 model. Both are excellent and built like a brick house, but I could definitely notice the 2016 cooled much better than the 2021. At the time, I wish I did a bit more digging into why.

Last edited:
My ‘21 came with a pre-rusted hitch with bubbling paint (on the hitch). I figured they were pulling from the rejected parts bin by the time mine was built. Will do a POR-15 treatment one day. Everything else has met expectations.

edited: spelling

Last edited:
I've had a 2014, 2019, and currently a 2021. Observations:

2014 - Dash creaked like crazy especially when hot outside. Leather was more rugged feeling. Worst stereo of the three. Passenger seat headrest rattled. Drivers side window motor was louder than passenger. 1-2 shift while in traffic was clunky feeling. Developed an intermittent engine tick at 55k miles that could not be diagnosed. Shimy at highway speeds after 25% of tire rotations that dealer could never diagnose. Rain sense wipers were horrible and eventually quit working. Sold for the 2019.

2019 - New interior was a huge upgrade. No creaks in dash. Transmission shifts smoother than the 2014 but downshifts more frequently while using cruise control. Leather more supple feeling. Power rear lift gate was a nice addition. Engine/transmission more "whiny" sounding especially when cold. Best stereo of the three. Passenger seat headrest rattled. Sold for 2021.

2021 - Least rattles of the bunch so far other than the passenger seat headrest. (At least they are consistent.) Most comfortable seating of the three.

Overall, I would say the 19 and 21 seem to be put together better but, they all pretty much felt similar in the way they drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom