build quality of later 2020/2021 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To stirr the pot a little

Check the 11th digit in your 200 VIN:
4 = Yoshiwara
5 = Tahara

AFAIK
Every single Lexus LX was made at yoshiwara.

They made toyota 200s at Tahara as well due to global demand but the LX was always yoshiwara only. Not sure for any reason other than they needed Tahara to be able to keep up with the extra Toyota LC200 global demand and the LX was made in smaller numbers so didn't require to be made in any other place other than Yoshiwara.

And Yoshiwara is the ex Araco shop - right?

My 14LX and 20 Cruiser were made in Yoshiwara
Yes
Not necessarily the better plant though,
I used to be able to spot out yoshiwara vs tahara built 200s sometimes subconsciously based on panel gaps / bumper to body color differences but that was to be fair mostly around MY2017, may have just been a certain period of time.

I know you may find it funny
but I used to frequent the PDI yard for Toyota every year the 200 was made (except covid era my2020/my2021) and used to visually inspect them and when you see something alot you begin to notice things.
I once rejected delivery of a yoshiwara 200 and swapped to another vehicle, based on terrible factory bumper to body match and poor alignment of the bumper gaps. It wasnt repainted or anything, was fresh off the boat.
. To be fair that was 2017 though they seem to have improved in that regard since then. It affected some colors only and not all vehicles but I recall if it was a factory bumper mismatch issue, it was almost always yoshiwara rigs. It is something unavoidable paint vs metal but still.

I know this is normal for products and happens with any product and Toyota has better tolerances than most. Just putting it out there.

The 300 has terrible panel gaps but I can't say if its an issue with how it's made or just it's characteristics..I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Also random fact
When I bought my 300
They had 4 vehicles identical to mine in one lot. All brand new super fresh off the boat.
I picked the one with the best panel gaps/overall finish. Ocd much? Yes but if you had the chance and they are lined up together...wouldn't you?

I'll play the game.

My 2021 has a slight rattle I haven't tracked down yet somewhere around the driver's left vent.
The driver's window will make a "POP" when it's rolled down as the rubber sticks to the glass.
Exterior window trim moves when pressed.

Everything else seems/feels/operates as I think it should. These could be a couple covid-era QC escapes. Not enough to warrant hysteria or to not buy a 20/21 IMO.

2018 4Runner has been flawless.
Yoshiwara ^^

Also random fact
When I bought my 300
They had 4 vehicles identical to mine in one lot. All brand new super fresh off the boat.
I picked the one with the best panel gaps/overall finish. Ocd much? Yes but if you had the chance and they are lined up together...wouldn't you?
Which panel gaps specifically are you looking at?

Which panel gaps specifically are you looking at?
Anything visible to the naked eye. If you are surrounded by many of the same, you have others to benchmark against.

I don't have professional tools to get accurate measurements, but any misaligned gap (larger gap on one side) that is visible on the body, doors, bumper, rubber trim alignment - you name it.

The good old finger gap measurement too doesn't do harm, not a proper way by any means.

Ofcourse this doesn't mean that one would necessarily last longer or have less rattles; etc. More for the ocd peace of mind.

I've had a 2014, 2019, and currently a 2021. Observations:

2014 - Dash creaked like crazy especially when hot outside. Leather was more rugged feeling. Worst stereo of the three. Passenger seat headrest rattled. Drivers side window motor was louder than passenger. 1-2 shift while in traffic was clunky feeling. Developed an intermittent engine tick at 55k miles that could not be diagnosed. Shimy at highway speeds after 25% of tire rotations that dealer could never diagnose. Rain sense wipers were horrible and eventually quit working. Sold for the 2019.

2019 - New interior was a huge upgrade. No creaks in dash. Transmission shifts smoother than the 2014 but downshifts more frequently while using cruise control. Leather more supple feeling. Power rear lift gate was a nice addition. Engine/transmission more "whiny" sounding especially when cold. Best stereo of the three. Passenger seat headrest rattled. Sold for 2021.

2021 - Least rattles of the bunch so far other than the passenger seat headrest. (At least they are consistent.) Most comfortable seating of the three.

Overall, I would say the 19 and 21 seem to be put together better but, they all pretty much felt similar in the way they drive.
Did you buy them all new? Strange, the only issue I noticed on my '13 was the ever so slight passenger headrest rattle, which I "fixed" by lowering the headrest.

Did you buy them all new? Strange, the only issue I noticed on my '13 was the ever so slight passenger headrest rattle, which I "fixed" by lowering the headrest.
Definitely the most important factor.

Even the Toughest 4wd will suffer under the hands of a bad/non caring driver.

Which is why mileage isn't always everything to me when it comes to buying used.

I've seen so many low mileage vehicles where you could swear no way they haven't been rolled back (and its true they haven't) they just feel so bad to drive.
Vs high mileage well taken care of rigs that make you wonder if the mileage is rolled up lol < sadly its usually those vehicles that end up getting rolled back.

It's difficult these days obviously with all the records officially recorded but it still happens. The issue is for some people who find out too late...or in another country.

They were all bought new with less than 10 miles on the ODO. All driven by me, never off-roaded, mostly highway miles. Oil changes every 5k miles and run with Top Tier fuel. Essentially babied. I also can "fix the headrest by lowering it, but I am a sucker for symmetry and like them to match as I have mine up a click or two. I'll see if I can track down the VIN numbers to find build plant.

They were all bought new with less than 10 miles on the ODO. All driven by me, never off-roaded, mostly highway miles. Oil changes every 5k miles and run with Top Tier fuel. Essentially babied. I also can "fix the headrest by lowering it, but I am a sucker for symmetry and like them to match as I have mine up a click or two. I'll see if I can track down the VIN numbers to find build plant.
Verified all three (2014, 2019, 2021) have a 4 in the 11th digit so all made in Yoshiwara.

I firmly believe 99.9% of rattles have to do with dealer or other work done to individual vehicles.

My 2013 is approaching 200k miles and other than the well-known passenger headrest issue, has literally zero rattles. It did have a whistle on the highway which was tracked down to non-original windshield trim installed with an aftermarket panel.

Also @OGBeno has debunked the concept of individual plants trending toward better quality, if I remember correctly.

I am a firm believe in replacing any clips/fasteners or whatever when working on anything interior related or bumper etc.
I feel even if they aren't touted as one time use, they just never come back the same and could be super annoying down the line with rattles; etc. They are just cheap to buy and might as well do it once and get it over with.

my 08 yoshiwara - 270 k miles 0 rattles or issues

my 09 300 k farm truck - rattles galore. not trucks fault, use case fault . rough 1-2 shift

since 2013, my wife has had new 13 lc, 16 lx, 19lx, 21 lc.

16 lx - trans replaced 31k miles
13lc - rear ac went bad
19 lx - very lurchy trans

her 21 and my 08 lc has been the absolute best so far

I firmly believe 99.9% of rattles have to do with dealer or other work done to individual vehicles.

My 2013 is approaching 200k miles and other than the well-known passenger headrest issue, has literally zero rattles. It did have a whistle on the highway which was tracked down to non-original windshield trim installed with an aftermarket panel.

Also @OGBeno has debunked the concept of individual plants trending toward better quality, if I remember correctly.
I remember 10 years ago some batches of 200s had a whistling issue in the Middle East not sure if it turnd out to be from side mirrors or what.
The early 300s also had this issue they ended up changing the window moulding for affected cars at the dealer.

my 08 yoshiwara - 270 k miles 0 rattles or issues

my 09 300 k farm truck - rattles galore. not trucks fault, use case fault . rough 1-2 shift

since 2013, my wife has had new 13 lc, 16 lx, 19lx, 21 lc.

16 lx - trans replaced 31k miles
13lc - rear ac went bad
19 lx - very lurchy trans
Wow
31k!
I heard lots of complaints about the early batch of 8 speeds.

I had a friend who had the transmission of his fzj100 go at only 2000kms back in 06 and this was very late in 100 series production.

It was the auto not the manual.

The theory may be debunked by someone who has actually been to yoshiwara but what I witnessed in front of me was definitely not a coincidence.
It may just have been a certain batch though as what I recall was during MY2017. Things got better later on.

My original question was less of yoshiwara vs Tahara but more about covid era 200s. I remember someone mentioned this here but I forgot his username.

Wow
31k!
I heard lots of complaints about the early batch of 8 speeds.

I had a friend who had the transmission of his fzj100 go at only 2000kms back in 06 and this was very late in 100 series production.

It was the auto not the manual.
yes we were victim of early 8 speed issues. Ironically our LC500 also had trans problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom