Experience with Slee builds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swhme

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm thinking about having Slee do a build on my '21 HE. I'm sure there are folks here who have gone through that process, but my searching came up empty.

Did you have Slee build out your 200? Would love to hear about your experience!

They gained their reputation for good reason.

I'm thinking about having Slee do a build on my '21 HE. I'm sure there are folks here who have gone through that process, but my searching came up empty.

Did you have Slee build out your 200? Would love to hear about your experience!
Slee knows their stuff and is top-level in the US when it comes to well-earned respect. You can deal with them in full confidence. No one with significant Slee experience will steer you away from them unless your primary goal is to save $$ through skimping on quality.

No personal experience with them (outside of a few of their products), but everything I've ever read online suggests they're one of the few shops you can trust blindly.

There is literally no better shop in the US, maybe the world, than Slee to do a 200 build. It’s not even close. The only downside is the potential wait time because they have far more demand than capacity.
Yeah, we’ll see what they say about the lead time, I’m talking with them today.

Yeah, we’ll see what they say about the lead time, I’m talking with them today.

Slee and Cruiser Outfitters are your go to in the US for specific 200 builds.
IMHO

@swhme I just noticed you are not in Denver. If you are traveling either way, I agree with @rlynch356 you can’t go wrong with Cruiser Outfitters in SLC. They do an incredible job and contribute significantly to the Land Cruiser community.

Slee has done some work on my stepdad's truck. They know their stuff right up there with Cruiser Outfitters, Trollhole, Valley Hybrids and the like.

Downsides:
  • arm/leg pricing-but obviously there are people willing to pay
  • wait time can be very long
  • they do things their way i.e. they wont install certain (well proven, reputable) parts they don't like, or they may turn you away if the work you request is particularly challenging or just not "up their alley"
For a build, everything will be done right.

My personal preference would be Cruiser Outfitters (if location is not a factor and you're not using slee parts). They have helped me with hard-to-find parts, multiple axle rebuilds, and lord knows what other odds and ends over the last 15 years and have always been super helpful, affordable and happy to talk it out over the phone as you work through a problem. If there's something I need, even if it's not listed anywhere on the website, I can usually call and they'll have it.

Last edited:
I had Slee do a build on my 100 series and it was perfect. Lived in Park City for 30+ years and had Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters do a lot of stuff on it over the years and he was also perfect in every job. You can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
Slee is a fantastic shop and they know the 200's very well. I'd have zero hesitation recommending them for a build. We stock/install a great deal of their parts including 200 stuff, for example all of the Maltec HE200 builds we are doing get Slee bumpers, skids, sliders, compressor mounts, etc. Top shelf folks, vendors and customers too!

No personal experience with them (outside of a few of their products), but everything I've ever read online suggests they're one of the few shops you can trust blindly.
This.

In August I had them install skid plates, sliders, an ARB bumper (I liked theirs, but I needed the hoops) and beef up the rear suspension. I dropped my truck off on Tuesday and then flew to Phoenix for 4 days. Picked it up Friday afternoon. Seamless.

They were awesome.

Slee is a fantastic shop and they know the 200's very well. I'd have zero hesitation recommending them for a build. We stock/install a great deal of their parts including 200 stuff, for example all of the Maltec HE200 builds we are doing get Slee bumpers, skids, sliders, compressor mounts, etc. Top shelf folks, vendors and customers too!
Thanks! Sent you a DM...

This.

In August I had them install skid plates, sliders, an ARB bumper (I liked theirs, but I needed the hoops) and beef up the rear suspension. I dropped my truck off on Tuesday and then flew to Phoenix for 4 days. Picked it up Friday afternoon. Seamless.

They were awesome.

Nice— I talked through my build with them today, they said it would take 4 weeks in their shop, and they’re booking in January, so not too bad— I’ll likely go with it if the quote isn’t completely insane.

Out of curiosity, for those that are not local to Slee, how do you handle long term maintenance of the aftermarket parts and vehicle once it’s built by Slee? I’m on the east coast and have toyed with the idea of sending my 200 to Slee for a build one day.

But l’m not mechanically inclined nor do I have the time for it, so would I just find a local shop to handle ongoing maintenance of the built truck? And would a local shop even be willing to maintain/work on a rig that was not built by them?

Maintenance on what? No real maintenance on sliders, bumpers, etc….

Maintenance on what? No real maintenance on sliders, bumpers, etc….
I guess I’m referring more to suspension mods. I have never modified a vehicle but I’ve read plenty of threads about things going wrong, such as KDSS lean, squeaks, rattles etc. And I’m speculating a fully built vehicle has more potential failure points, which some shops may not want to get involved with fixing.

Anyway I don’t want to hijack this thread. Was just curious about long term ownership of a Slee built vehicle, and how to handle maintenance.

Swhme - if you do the build with Slee, please be sure to document it in a thread here. I’d love to see what they do with it as I also have a ‘21 HE.

Out of curiosity, for those that are not local to Slee, how do you handle long term maintenance of the aftermarket parts and vehicle once it’s built by Slee? I’m on the east coast and have toyed with the idea of sending my 200 to Slee for a build one day.

But l’m not mechanically inclined nor do I have the time for it, so would I just find a local shop to handle ongoing maintenance of the built truck? And would a local shop even be willing to maintain/work on a rig that was not built by them?
Not mechanically inclined - that’s me, too. In the past when I’ve had things done to my work vehicles here in MN and when we were in Seattle, 90% of the “off road” places were almost universally specializing in lifting pickups and putting in stereos and tow packages. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I wanted someone who specialized in Landcruisers.

Even though my local shop is great and can do just about anything, there’s still no substitute for experience with/firsthand knowledge of the vehicle.

I mentioned in another thread that I have a small issue with the ARB fogs in that I think they blow, but that’s on ARB.

Swhme - 4 weeks? You must be having a full-on restoration.

Another good thing about Slee is that you can walk 300 meters down the road and visit the Spyderco outlet (well, not so good if your wife told you not to spend any more money…😎).

Swhme - if you do the build with Slee, please be sure to document it in a thread here. I’d love to see what they do with it as I also have a ‘21 HE.
Will do!

Swhme - 4 weeks? You must be having a full-on restoration
No restoration needed (only 17k miles), but a pretty end to end process— bumpers, armor, a bunch of electrical work (adding 270ah of house batteries with lots of outlets and whatnot), lighting, rack, awning, trailer brake controller, lra aux fuel tank, etc….

Goal is to be able to camp with 1-2 people inside, or with 4-5 people traveling in the cruiser and 2 sleeping inside plus 2-3 in a tent, or 4-5 ppl plus a small airstream. I also want to be able to work while camping, so a starlink setup will come with me. Eventually want to take this rig to Alaska then down the pan American highway to Argentina

Another good thing about Slee is that you can walk 300 meters down the road and visit the Spyderco outlet

Oh that sounds dangerous 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom