BUILD: 1996 LX450 - why not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this 1996 Lexus LX450 a few weeks ago thinking I’d make it a run around rig to keep miles off my truck. What I’ve come to find out is there are a lot of small things that need to be addressed to bring it back to its former glory. Now that’s I’ve figured out what I’ve really got I might as well go all in and make a hunting/camping rig. First order of business is addressing all mechanical issues and getting it ready to go explore. I originally posted with wiring and tune-up questions, but might as well combine everything to this one post.

Current mechanical condition is it needs wiring fixed from PO, tune-up and replace/repair problem areas. The rig is having a hard time starting during the initial start for the day. After starting and running for the day, it seems to start fine for a bit only to have a hard start the next day. During the initial start, it’ll crank for awhile and try to kick over a few times but die. When it it does finally stay running, it coughs and kicks for a minute before idling right and running right. This is about all I know at this point.

Short term plans are taking care of mechanical issues to gain a sense of dependability. Probably add a few gadgets to breakup the repair work and see a few small wins.

Long term plans are the normal items, bumpers, lift, tires, etc... Once all complete, I’ll add do-dads to make it personalized for hunting and camping. Goal is to use it for extended hunts and be able to navigate rough terrain.

My first order of business was to go through the fuel system. I replaced the fuel pump, pump screen and fuel filter. Fuel filter was a lot more difficult than expected but got it done. I also replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. This did help it run better, but had no effect on the hard start. I bought two fusible links, installed one and have the other as a backup in the glovebox. Added new hood struts, no other reason than the hood kept closing and needed to work under it. Added a dual cup holder, one alone doesn’t work for a dipper, not to mention if the passenger has a drink.

Where I’m at now:
Still have a hard start and CEL is on bought a scan gauge to pull the codes and got

P0115 - coolant temp sensor
P0335 - crankshaft position sensor
P0340 - camshaft position sensor

Plan is to located these sensors and check the wiring. While changing the fuel filter, I could see that a PO made some wiring repairs to the sensors on the drivers side of the engine. I’ll start there by sorting those out. I’ve been doing some research and located where the crankshaft sensor is, but can’t find anything showing where the camshaft sensor is. Does anyone know and have a picture of what I’m looking for? Any tips and tricks and how to go about checking the wires and sensors? I’ve ordered a FSM and hoping it can shed some light on working through all of this.

Pictures of when I brought it home

85431454-7DEE-4C5C-9535-358A6EDCF8C7.jpeg

825112D5-267F-4BF4-A49F-CE28FBDC4199.jpeg

Pictures of the fusible link I replaced or what was left of it.

C905E52B-EF74-4A74-8E2D-94F0D4DED744.jpeg

Pictures of how nasty the in tank fuel pump screen was and a comparison shot of a new one.

B9DA1330-1CED-4FE8-8F74-69E37571A829.jpeg

BE04D73E-1AC3-4AE6-853F-9AC2C13DF58F.jpeg

Camshaft position sensor is embedded into the distributor.

While I’m waiting on a new sensor to come in I went ahead and added a few necessities. Can’t believe these rigs only came with one cup holder.

4B893347-8875-4173-B850-55BAF9D123F9.jpeg

D9CD67CF-76E0-4384-8F7E-32848CDA571C.jpeg

Added a ARB front bumper also. Didn’t get the winch installed because it wouldn’t fit, will have to make spacers. The sides of the winch contacted the angled back portions of the bumper before the bolts would bottom out. I’ll make some 1/4 inch plates and that should take care of it. Also need to add the side marker lights.

878BADF5-9275-41F6-BB53-560466751C4A.jpeg

Does anyone have a picture of their rig with a OME 2.5 lift with 2850 fronts and 2860 rears? Finding a lot of pictures with heavier rears and ones running spacers, but none in that setup. Just ordered that kit and wondering if I need front spacers. I’m going to run 35’s.

Thank you for the picture and thats exactly the stance I'm looking for, more ground clearance and level stance. Are you happy with the ride quality? Nice looking rig by the way, a good goal for me.

How does it idle? take a look at all the vacuum hoses under the hood, a number of mine were very hard, and probably had cracks. There are some under the intake manifold I could not get to right now, but I replaced everything I could get to, as well as the Charcoal canister lines (top and bottom)

How does it idle? take a look at all the vacuum hoses under the hood, a number of mine were very hard, and probably had cracks. There are some under the intake manifold I could not get to right now, but I replaced everything I could get to, as well as the Charcoal canister lines (top and bottom)
Thanks for the advice and do plan to replace all those as well. I did see on the forum it’s almost impossible to replace those under the intake without taking it off. Did you order a kit that has all the lines?

Current status:
Now that I have a code reader it’s sure making it easier to figure things out. I know longer am throwing codes
PO335
P0340
I’m assuming I through these codes because when I changes the plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor I forgot to plug back in the distributer. Figured it out when I went to start it and it wouldn’t start. Looked under there and sure enough forgot to remake that connection.

The codes I’m still battling are the temp cooler and knock sensor fault. I could tell the wiring to the knock sensors have been tampered with and spliced, hacked up. I ordered new knock sensors and pigtails to fix this. As far as the temp sensor, the temp is staying in the middle, and I keep the scan gauge on and it’s showing 177-178 while warm. Going to work through that also, not sure why it’s throwing the code.

On another note, after changing the fusible link, fuel pump, in pump screen and fuel filter, the rig fires right up with no more hard start.

Yes, I ordered the kit, but it is really just three lengths of vacuum hose. You will need the larger hose size as well. I think 6mm.
I also replaced the pcv valve and hoses. The valve was ok, but the hoses were all very hard with surface cracking.

Yes, I ordered the kit, but it is really just three lengths of vacuum hose. You will need the larger hose size as well. I think 6mm.
I also replaced the pcv valve and hoses. The valve was ok, but the hoses were all very hard with surface cracking.
I’ve ordered a new PCV valve, rubber grommet and hose,and will look into ordering a complete hose kit.

Good looking rig, despite what others say, personally I like the look of all the moulding on the sides.
Thank you. Going to give it a repaint and trying to decide if I want to stay with the factory colors.

Really cold here so won’t be working on my rig in the shop. Was able to make room in the garage and knock out a couple small things suck as added a Amazon key fob, rear hatch struts and a mic for the radio for hands free calling.

Keyless Entry linked

468B74C9-AA6C-4814-BEBB-B5A83A8A554A.jpeg

Last edited:
While I’m waiting on parts to work on the mechanical side of things I decided to make some progress and installed a 2.5” OME lift. I’ll get some better pictures when I get tires installed.

774B2459-0C0F-4382-8F3A-52BD68BBD323.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom