For Sale Bug Catcher Wing Window Knob Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Andy,

Circling back to the LV hatch slider knob project. Here are some pics of the parts I propose sending you. The intact knob I am sending has cracks, but I do not believe the cracks will impact your ability to get accurate dimensions. Agree? If so PM me an address and I will ship over.

I have done a good deal of thinking about this. Removing the entire knobs from the slider mechanism is a bear! Take the bracket completely off, remove just enough of the flair at the topside of the attaching bolt to remove the retaining washer while leaving enough material to flair the attaching bolt again when putting it all back together. I think replacing the knobs this way on 2 sliders could easily take a day!

There's also the issue of shipping hard to get parts and the risk of them getting lost. What I think would be an amazing result would be if you can - using the internal nut and the complete knob - recreate just the knob itself with an opening for the internal nut. That way replacement would be as easy as removing the remnants of the old knob from the internal nut, while still fastened to the slide, putting adhesive on the nut and slipping the new knob over the internal nut. Done!

Thanks for agreeing to take this on.

1612287636529.png

1612287756482.png

1612287827516.png

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Circling back to the LV hatch slider knob project. Here are some pics of the parts I propose sending you. The intact knob I am sending has cracks, but I do not believe the cracks will impact your ability to get accurate dimensions. Agree? If so PM me an address and I will ship over.

I have done a good deal of thinking about this. Removing the entire knobs from the slider mechanism is a bear! Take the bracket completely off, remove just enough of the flair at the topside of the attacking bolt to remove the retaining washer while leaving enough material to flair the attaching bolt again when putting it all back together. I think replacing the knobs this way on 2 sliders could easily take a day!

There's also the issue of shipping hard to get parts and the risk of them getting lost. What I think would be an amazing result would be if you can - using the internal nut and the complete knob - recreate just the knob itself with an opening for the internal nut. That way replacement would be as easy as removing the remnants of the old knob from the internal nut, while still fastened to the slide, putting adhesive on the nut and slipping the new knob over the internal nut. Done!

Thanks for agreeing to take this on.

View attachment 2573204

View attachment 2573205

View attachment 2573206
Sounds like a good plan. I'll discuss this with the Guy I use for this. See if it's feasible? The material used will have to be very strong as I'd imagine that there is a substantial amount of torque required to fix these Hinges given weight of Tailgate?

Agreed, but maybe not as strong as you'd think; at least not when fully open. The sliders have a little locking mechanism that slips into place at full open, thereby maintaining slider length until you disengage it. Tightening the knob is a backup. It presses the inner metal of the slider against the outer, makes the slider more rigid along its full length, and supplies metal-on-metal friction that also helps maintain slider length; taking some of the load off the locking mechanism. If your slider is working properly you don't need to twist them full stop to keep the hatch open!

That said, the stronger the better. Almost every LV I've ever seen has knobs that have cracked over the last 50 years. But I'd wager any LV owner putting on a new set these days would be a bit more careful with them than the original owners were!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sounds like a good plan. I'll discuss this with the Guy I use for this. See if it's feasible? The material used will have to be very strong as I'd imagine that there is a substantial amount of torque required to fix these Hinges given weight of Tailgate?
Wow this would be awesome. Thank you @crustycruise for loaning your knob out (that sounds inappropriate!), I have looked at mine a few times and was simply too scared to attempt to remove them so kudos to you for being brave enough. And @andybudge no pressure but you’re the man :)

Andy has given the LV slider knob project the green light! Andy!-Andy!-Andy! The sample knob and bare internal nut were shipped today and should be there in 7 to 10 days.

Andy also gave me permission to hijack this thread for a minute to share some ideas and ask for help from anyone interested in new slider knobs. These are some ways you can help:

Raise your hand - Making this a reality requires enough potential buyers to make it worthwhile. So please express your interest! And please read on before you decide.

Help with research - After detaching the slider from the body of my LV and then completely disassembling it to get the knob off, I can assure you that it's a lot of work. I shared an idea with Andy that I believe avoids all that work. The idea is to recreate the knob leaving the space where the nut fits inside it open. This way all you'd have to do is break off whatever's left of your existing knob from the nut, apply some adhesive and slip the new knob over the internal nut and let the adhesive dry. Done! As Andy pointed out, making this "slip-on" idea work requires that the internal nuts be a consistent size to ensure that the adhesive fully secures the new knob to the internal nut. Before shipping, I measured mine at 18.94MM side to side and a 19MM socket fits it perfectly. I compared the nut to the 4 other full knobs I have and they were all the same. It would be great to know what others find.

Offer comments and ideas - Please feel free to point out any additional issues you see with the slip-on idea or offer new ideas or approaches.

Looking forward to this coming together!

nut size.jpg

Andy has given the LV slider knob project the green light! Andy!-Andy!-Andy! The sample knob and bare internal nut were shipped today and should be there in 7 to 10 days.

Andy also gave me permission to hijack this thread for a minute to share some ideas and ask for help from anyone interested in new slider knobs. These are some ways you can help:

Raise your hand - Making this a reality requires enough potential buyers to make it worthwhile. So please express your interest! And please read on before you decide.

Help with research - After detaching the slider from the body of my LV and then completely disassembling it to get the knob off, I can assure you that it's a lot of work. I shared an idea with Andy that I believe avoids all that work. The idea is to recreate the knob leaving the space where the nut fits inside it open. This way all you'd have to do is break off whatever's left of your existing knob from the nut, apply some adhesive and slip the new knob over the internal nut and let the adhesive dry. Done! As Andy pointed out, making this "slip-on" idea work requires that the internal nuts be a consistent size to ensure that the adhesive fully secures the new knob to the internal nut. Before shipping, I measured mine at 18.94MM side to side and a 19MM socket fits it perfectly. I compared the nut to the 4 other full knobs I have and they were all the same. It would be great to know what others find.

Offer comments and ideas - Please feel free to point out any additional issues you see with the slip-on idea or offer new ideas or approaches.

Looking forward to this coming together!

View attachment 2574703
I'll raise my hand🖐 for at least one pair, probably two so I've got a spare.

I'll measure mine this weekend and see if it matches - good call @crustycruise to confirm this. They made a lot of little changes from year to year on these LV's, best not to assume!

If you can make it look that close before the sample arrives I have no doubt the finish product will look OEM correct. The material used for the Wing Window knobs is just right in my opinion. Once polished the LV knobs have that same luster. Excellent work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom