Broken shock bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Uncle Grumpy

SILVER Star
Threads
I broke the lower rear shock bolt and ran out of the house without the remnant. Anyone recall the size and pitch? I'd like to pick up an extractor and thread chaser on the way home.

it happened to me 3 years ago. I feel your pain.

I tried extractor and i broke it too and this made my life hell. I would just suggest to drill it out and tap new thread. It what i did and i havent had problem for 3 years already. Or better try left turning drill bits. While you are drilling they may loose the bolt and it will come out. I believe HF has them.

I hope it helps.

X3 on breaking the extractor

Try left handed drill bit.

I knew this was going to be fun, I just didn't realize how much. I'll keep hitting it with PB and try the LH drill bit.

I will be installing shocks soon and will be heating up the bolt with a torch for 2-3 cycles (heat - cool, heat -cool, ect.) before trying to tackle the bolt. And I have replacement oem shock bolts in hand to replace the rusty one.

I broke the lower rear shock bolt and ran out of the house without the remnant. Anyone recall the size and pitch? I'd like to pick up an extractor and thread chaser on the way home.

I knew this was going to be fun, I just didn't realize how much. I'll keep hitting it with PB and try the LH drill bit.

I have to admit I ran out of time trying to fix it and just took it into a shop. They charged less than an hours labor to fix it. Totally worth it given the two trips the hardware store and the hour on my back drilling I had already put into the project. I did end up buying myself a really nice set of drill bits after this whole ordeal though.

man I made it out easy when I did my rear shocks.. sprayed a few times with PB a few days before and then went to do the first shock with a air impact.. it came right out. Other side came loose with a breaker bar and socket pretty easily.

I was prepared in case though

M12 x 1.25 pitch.

When I have bolts break I make a well centered divot on it with a diamond bit or a really good burr in a Dremel and then drill it out with progressively larger left hand bits till either the bolt lets go, or the hole is big enough to tap new threads in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom