Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched the threads and haven't come up with anything so I thought I'd ask. I just got an fj60, 1984, I love it but it needs some work. I think I have everything else figures out, but brakes are not my specialty. My brakes are hard as rock when I push on the pedal. If I have to stop quickly i have to push against the seat in order to get it slowed down. I know that 60 brakes are not the best, but this is ridiculous. So what do you guys think?
Master Cylinder? Slave Cylinder? Where do I start and how do I check it?
I know that I'll find the answer here....Thanks

There have been a ton of posts on this and as you spend time here, you will get better at filtering out what you are looking for.

I can tell you what I have gathered on the subject, and that is to do a rear disc conversion from the drums. Go with the Cadillac Eldorado calipers from 79-85. You will need a new brake master cylinder to go with that too. The Eldorado calipers are essential if you want to keep your emergency brake.

I just had this done on my FJ60 along with some insurance work, and the mechanic says it now needs better seat belts, since it almost throws him through the windshield. I will find out tomorrow for myself, when I pick it up, but from the sounds of that and other people's comments about this upgrade on the forum, it is a huge improvement, so put that down as something to look in to.

Also, I have also seen several topics on using early 90's 4 Runner calipers on the front, which will help out the front brakes as well.

Best of luck with your new love. You are in good company.

ColoradoLC said:
There have been a ton of posts on this and as you spend time here, you will get better at filtering out what you are looking for.

I can tell you what I have gathered on the subject, and that is to do a rear disc conversion from the drums. Go with the Cadillac Eldorado calipers from 79-85. You will need a new brake master cylinder to go with that too. The Eldorado calipers are essential if you want to keep your emergency brake.

I just had this done on my FJ60 along with some insurance work, and the mechanic says it now needs better seat belts, since it almost throws him through the windshield. I will find out tomorrow for myself, when I pick it up, but from the sounds of that and other people's comments about this upgrade on the forum, it is a huge improvement, so put that down as something to look in to.

Also, I have also seen several topics on using early 90's 4 Runner calipers on the front, which will help out the front brakes as well.

Best of luck with your new love. You are in good company.

Did you have your ebrake rigged up proffessionaly? I think I may have mine figured out for when I do it, but I'd love to see pics of yours, in hopes of getting maybe a couple more ideas. How about your LSPV? Did he leave that in or did he eliminate it from the system? If mine isn't detrimental to the performance of my rear discs, I'll be leaving it there, but I'm curious to see how exactly it can be eliminated from the system if it does, in fact, hurt the performance of the rear calipers.

Stock brakes on a stock vehicle should stop you just fine. First thing you should do is buy a Toyota Chassis and Body Manual, or download the one from Birfield. There are a couple of tests you can do to test your vacuum brake booster, and a trouble shooting guide. Since it's a new to you truck, I think you need to first make sure everything works before you start upgrading.

If your brakes are really hard, but when you push hard enough it does stop, it could be something with the vacuum booster, or maybe your calipers or wheel cylinders are frozen. Check it out...

Ditto 2mbb. Bought my 84 with 33s on it & it never seemed to stop very well, which I attributed to the tire size. When I had to replace the spiders & side gears in the rear diff I decided to change the oil seals & look at the rear brakes. Turns out the bell cranks were frozen (just like on my 83), but to the extent that the shoes hadn't self-adjusted in years. Fixed the bell cranks, adjusted the shoes, & now it stops very well.

Thank You

I'm thinking that it's the brake booster, Will be checking it out this week, and will repost if there are any other problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom