Brake upgrade/fix for fj70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

876 Cruisers

KZJ70/FZJ70/HJ47/FJ80
Threads
Hey all,

Me and a friend both have 70 series lc. 1991 fj70 and 1990 pzj70 with a 1fz.

Both or LCs under hard braking the back locks before the front. Both vans don't have a LSPV. So I'm not sure if that's the reason for the back locking up first.

Is there any way to fix this issue or any ideas of upgrading the front brakes so the front can have a bit more bite when trying to stop.

My pzj70 front end was swapped to a 1995 fzj70. So I'm running all stock brakes and all. And I currently have steel braided lines.

I'm wondering if changing the rotors would help or calipers. Also running 15 inch rims on 33s

Thanks in Advance
Dan

You could install a manual proportioning valve to tweak your brake bias. I think some folks have even installed this sort of thing in place of their LSPV. I'm not sure if this exact model will work....

Proportioning Valve - Product Summary

The new generation of adjustable proportioning valves combines the latest refinements to deliver precise pressure metering and strength from a compact forged billet design. Pressure adjustments range from 100-1000 PSI and provide for a maximum decrease of 57% in line pressure, the most of any available valve. Adjuster knob with fine thread tuning provides precise pressure adjustment. This adjustment lets you fine tune the front to rear braking balance by proportionally decreasing the rear brake line pressure. Valves weigh only 5.2 ounces and have two .25” side mounting holes spaced 1.00” apart. This valve varies from our standard Knob Style Proportioning valve, as the in and out ports are 3/8-24 inverted flare seats and do not require tube nut adapters to directly install 3/16 tubing with inverted flare 3/8-24 nuts.

260-10922-lg.jpg

I put slightly larger 4Runner calipers on my 1988 BJ74 but without the proportioning valve (LSPV) the rear brakes would still lock up.

I put slightly larger 4Runner calipers on my 1988 BJ74 but without the proportioning valve (LSPV) the rear brakes would still lock up.
Are you talking the 2nd gen 4runner?
If so the 4runner and the 70 series post 90 use the same caliper which is what I'm currently running

I don't know nuthin' bout no 4Runners except what I read here.
I have an 1988 cruiser and the brakes are for a 1990 4runner.
I guess Toyota put them on yours at the factory.

I bought a new LSPV for mine too and it cured my soft brake pedal problems.

Yes, but the 33s have about another 3-4 inches of circumference. But you may need more pressure to the front calipers

You could install a manual proportioning valve to tweak your brake bias. I think some folks have even installed this sort of thing in place of their LSPV. I'm not sure if this exact model will work....

Proportioning Valve - Product Summary

The new generation of adjustable proportioning valves combines the latest refinements to deliver precise pressure metering and strength from a compact forged billet design. Pressure adjustments range from 100-1000 PSI and provide for a maximum decrease of 57% in line pressure, the most of any available valve. Adjuster knob with fine thread tuning provides precise pressure adjustment. This adjustment lets you fine tune the front to rear braking balance by proportionally decreasing the rear brake line pressure. Valves weigh only 5.2 ounces and have two .25” side mounting holes spaced 1.00” apart. This valve varies from our standard Knob Style Proportioning valve, as the in and out ports are 3/8-24 inverted flare seats and do not require tube nut adapters to directly install 3/16 tubing with inverted flare 3/8-24 nuts.

260-10922-lg.jpg

When my LJ71 was on 33's with standard brakes & LSPV it stopped fine, but I put in one similar to this instead of the LSPV when I swapped axles & it works well. Should be a version available with the std Toyota M10x1 fittings too.

Another easy brake improvement if braking force is lacking as well as the balance being out is to swap in a double diaphragm booster off an 80 series. You just need to make a longer clevis on the pedal side.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom