Brake symptoms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having an "interesting" brake symptom, and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Background: 1982 FJ40, just back from a frame-up restoration, with minimal mechanical work on the brakes. New booster is about it, rear brakes adjusted, no new pads or drums/disks, and the pedal free travel measures within spec. Fresh brake fluid, and the truck stops right now! when the brakes are applied.

I have had the brakes apparently apply in the rear while driving along - the engine starts bogging, there is plenty of power, but the truck feels sluggish, the engine starts to heat up (not overheat), the engine has to be spun up when starting out in first to keep it from dying, and there is the smell of burnt brake pad when I stop. Eventually, the symptom goes away, either while driving, or when I am parked.

At first, I thought the handbrake might be the culprit, but a look-see over the weekend did not show any problem with engagement/disengagement of the mechanism at the rear wheels. I did not have the opportunity to take a look the last time the symprom occurred. Fiddling with the hand brake while driving did not change the symptom, either.

Disk front, drum rear, sucker is box stock throught.

Thoughts? Things to check?

Kirk

Adjustment of the rear brake shoes, My guess is maybe a spring is not returning properly or is worn. or a bad wheel cylinder is not releasing the shoes off of the drum. Are the drums out of round by any chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom