Brake related grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I been searching for the last two hours ... learned a few new things, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Last summer I did a brake overhaul on my 97 80. I replaced the master cylinder, calipers, rotors, brake lines, with OEM parts. The new brake pads were EBC green. I also replaced all wheel bearings at the same time.

A few days ago I terrible grinding sound from the front started when I brake at slow speeds. I ordered new pads and replaced. The old pads weren't in bad shape and the rotors looked good, no grooves. I still have the grinding sound! The grinding sound quits immediately when I release the brake pedal. Where is the grinding coming from?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you for your time. :popcorn:

Get it up on jack stands and remove the wheels and check your pads. The 80 series LC is known to go through pads faster then other cars.

Get it up on jack stands and remove the wheels and check your pads. The 80 series LC is known to go through pads faster then other cars.

He replaced the pads, even though the old ones were in good shape.

I been searching for the last two hours ... learned a few new things, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Last summer I did a brake overhaul on my 97 80. I replaced the master cylinder, calipers, rotors, brake lines, with OEM parts. The new brake pads were EBC green. I also replaced all wheel bearings at the same time.

A few days ago I terrible grinding sound from the front started when I brake at slow speeds. I ordered new pads and replaced. The old pads weren't in bad shape and the rotors looked good, no grooves. I still have the grinding sound! The grinding sound quits immediately when I release the brake pedal. Where is the grinding coming from?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you for your time. :popcorn:

Could be loose wheel bearings, could be a dry spindle bushing due to low grease in the knuckle. Could be a loose caliper bolt, or some other part. Could be that you are mistaken as to where the sound is coming from and you actually have a problem with the rear brakes.

Could be loose wheel bearings, could be a dry spindle bushing due to low grease in the knuckle. Could be a loose caliper bolt, or some other part. Could be that you are mistaken as to where the sound is coming from and you actually have a problem with the rear brakes.

My bad, I scanned the original post and did not see that.

I beginning to think it may be rear brakes... though it sure sounds like the front. I'll order rear pads today.

I'll check the bearings. Thanks!

I beginning to think it may be rear brakes... though it sure sounds like the front. I'll order rear pads today.
I'll check the bearings. Thanks!

Check the grease level in the knuckles as well. And check for play in the wheel bearings, at all four corners.

Last edited:
Check the grease level in the knuckles as well. And check for play in the wheel bearings, at all four corners.
be sure to slide out the rear axles when checking the rear bearings, dont just rely on feel when the wheel is off the ground as the axles can hide any slop

The best advice is to get it off the ground and rotate the wheels, with the tires mounted, by hand. Then remove each tire and inspect the work you did on the front wheels.

If everything looks copacetic, it's possible your caliper sliding pins aren't allowing the caliper(s) to slide. I'd check those.

It's unlikely you have a loose (rear) wheel bearing if you haven't recently opened a hub.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of non-OEM brake pads. The front calipers don't seem to care much, but I've never found non-OEM rear pads that fit properly. I buy fronts and rears together, so it doesn't make any sense to go to two places to get them. For me, at least.

Thank you guys for the comments and advice! The culprit was the inside brake pad on the right rear disintegrated. I would have bet the farm the issue was in the front! lol Perhaps it's time to get my hearing checked... Thanks again!

Also check your dust shield. Had the same thing on my son's Taco, had contact on the bottom. Rocks can also get in there and make god awful noises.

Other possibility: Lose brake calipers?

Thank you guys for the comments and advice! The culprit was the inside brake pad on the right rear disintegrated. I would have bet the farm the issue was in the front! lol Perhaps it's time to get my hearing checked... Thanks again!
LOL, BTDT. Glad you got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom