Brake proportioning valve for 91 Cruzr (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, been awhile since I have been able to spend time on the ‘net’. That said, glad you folks still here. As many may recall…still relatively new to the Landcruiser world and continue to learn and scratch my head.

Enjoy reading and the encouragements I have received. So……. here’s my deal….chose to replace my pads and shoes on my ‘91’ cruiser….first time….what I have learned….its not a ford or a chevy….lol 😂. That said, I’m ok with that, knew I would be on a learning curve when I purchased the old girl. Brakes shot on all corner…..yet, discovered…that only Front passenger side was working, being pulled to the right when braking. Here’s my issue….after intstalling brakes and bleed….at least I thought I had….went to test….had absolutely no brakes on any wheel! yikes….the front pads piston did not engage….(had not changed rear shoes yet). I originally used a handheld manual bleeder….must not have used it right…because when I called a friend to give me a hand and do it the old fashion way….was not able to bleed any wheel…except for the driver rear wheel. We went through each fitting….thinking I may had a clog somewhere…..by the way…when I was able to bleed….in the driver rear….came out black…..just kept pouring new fluid until it came out clear and no bubbles….I order a new master cylinder (that I have since got) and decided to go ahead work on the rears, while waiting for the master cylinder to arrive. What I had learned it I had a hole in the wheel cylinder boot on passenger side and the driver side wheel cylinder was ‘locked’ up….was not able to move plunger. Where I stand today…Was finally. got the rear shoes replaced on both sides as well as a new wheel cylinder on each….have new master cylinder attached to booster, but not hooked up….I’ve gone this far and now considering to order a proportioning valve also….thing is….I am not completely understanding how it works…..oh, I had put on some 33’s AT tires all around….a little bigger and heavier than the the 31’a that were on it originally….anyways got to go back work, on lunch break….started to look through the threads on proportioning valve….but figured I would post this…and see what I kick up…..thank you all for any help and encouragements.

I have a hard time following with all the ….

But I think you want proportioning valve?

I have a hard time following with all the ….

But I think you want proportioning valve?
Thank you for your response, I apologize for the wordiness of the post. Guess I just needed to know how the proportioning valve work and if it’s the valve on center rear axle? Again, thank you

Above the center rear axle is the LSPV. The more weight in the rear, the more it shifts braking force

In that thread above, people write that you may not need a proportioning valve after removing the LSPV, so that’s where I would start

On my 62, when I removed the valve I had a very noticeable increase in stopping power and peddle feel. Definitely worth it. I have everything to do this on my 91 fj80, but it will be a few weeks yet (heading to glacier on Friday)

I deleted mine. I've noticed no ill effects, but I also haven't had to do any emergency braking in the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom