Brake Pedal Return Spring Install Location (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently finished installing a new brake vacuum booster in my 97 LC and when I went to reinstall the brake pedal return spring it was laying on the floor and I can't figure out where it attaches to the vehicle. I know one side attaches to the clevis pin on the brake pedal but where does the other side attach to? Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

I recently finished installing a new brake vacuum booster in my 97 LC and when I went to reinstall the brake pedal return spring it was laying on the floor and I can't figure out where it attaches to the vehicle. I know one side attaches to the clevis pin on the brake pedal but where does the other side attach to? Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
I was just under there the other day adjusting the booster pushrod gap, and popped the spring off due to being clumsy. You are correct in the the spring loops around the pin holding the pedal to the booster assembly. The other side of the spring diagonally goes upward toward where your left knee is. There is a small oblong hole that the spring slots into. Keep looking and you’ll eventually find it. You’ll need a flashlight.

Cheers

I was just under there the other day adjusting the booster pushrod gap, and popped the spring off due to being clumsy. You are correct in the the spring loops around the pin holding the pedal to the booster assembly. The other side of the spring diagonally goes upward toward where your left knee is. There is a small oblong hole that the spring slots into. Keep looking and you’ll eventually find it. You’ll need a flashlight.

Cheers
Thanks ZetheGSD, I appreciate the response but can you or anyone be more specific or offer a pic. There's really not much there and I'm still not finding it.

Looking up from the brake pedal/driver's foot well (LHD 1997 FZJ80).
Left side of photo is toward the firewall, right is toward the steering wheel.

Attach the short arm first to the hole in the bracket, top right in the photo
then pull the spring by hand or with needle nose pliers and connect the long end to the clevis pin as shown, bottom left of photo:

Click photo once then again to magnify for more detail. Note in the photo there is a missing washer that should be on the left side of the clevis pin
and under the safety pin.

FZJ80 Brake pedal return spring brake switch and cushion.png

Last edited:
Thanks Kernal, this is exactly what I needed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom