brake line replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to replace my calipers, rotors, pads and brake flush, and am wondering if all the brake lines should be done too? I have a 94. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Why not.... if you’re going through the trouble might as well make it all better. Get braided steel lines if do though. Wits sells a complete kit. Can’t remember if the 94 has ABS or not though.

Going to replace my calipers, rotors, pads and brake flush, and am wondering if all the brake lines should be done too? I have a 94. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Will be following thread and interested in responses. Considering stainless steel replacement in my 80. We have had some “issues“ (like brakes requiring multiple pumps nearly to floor) in 80’s in the mountains at the very high altitudes and have hypothesized it being due to expansion for some reason in the original lines. Back to normal below 10K ft. None of the usual troubleshooting made a difference.

Can’t remember if the 94 has ABS or not though.

almost all do in the us, the non abs will have a semi-floating rear and rear drums like the us 91-92.

all the brake lines should be done too

at least do the soft lines, if the hard lines are not crusty and rusty id leave them alone.

Also I would say invest in a vacuum bleeding kit, if you own a compressor. It makes the process of bleeding lines a one person job and takes it down to a matter of minutes per wheel! One of the best investments I’ve made for a single use tool, hands down!

I recently did the same job, refreshing my entire front and rear brakes with new soft lines (OEM), rotors, calipers and pads. I did the soft lines a few weeks ahead of the rest of the work. For me, the soft lines took half a day, and replacing everything else took a full day. But, I've never done brake work before, and I work slowly.

A few thoughts:
- I think the Vise-Grips designed for brake lines are indispensable to swap out the soft lines. I got two sizes, size 8 and size 4. Here they are:
Amazon product ASIN B00004SBBEI can't remember in exactly what instance I needed each size, but I ended up needing each of them. And this is on a SoCal, no rust truck. I think it's money well spent. Flare wrenches can flex open slightly (too much) and can be too big for the work area. These Vise-Grips are highly effective.

- I ordered the OEM extended lines, as recommended in Post 46 of page 3 of this thread:
I'm not convinced stainless hoses are better, and in fact I think the Toyota hoses are pretty amazing. The 7 hoses I ordered all fit perfectly and I have no regrets about going with Toyota hoses.

- I would flush the system before starting any work, because why push dirty fluid through clean new rotors. Fluid is cheap, expect to use up to 3 quarts.

- I found it irritating to have brake fluid dripping all over the place, and I wished I had ordered small line clamps before I started the job. Like these:
Amazon product ASIN B002YKHRUK
- I installed brand new Toyota calipers, PowerStop Z36 pads, and Centric Premium rotors. Everything went together great and I'm really happy with the performance thus far. No noise, good stopping, no complaints.

- Make sure you get the 8 (total, 2 for each corner) small copper crush washers for where the banjo bolts enter the calipers.

Feel free to PM me or quote me and reply to this post and I'll post up if there is anything else I can do to help. It's not a tough job. You'll want to have some disc brake grease, and whatever grease you put in your front wheel bearings. You'll also need to reset the preload tension on your front wheel bearings, and you can inspect, reset and refresh your parking brake as needed. You'll be happy you did this work - your truck will brake better, and you and everyone driving around you will be safer for it.

Cheers.

Happen to have the OEM part numbers for all 7 lines?
The part numbers for the 7 lines I used to replace all the soft lines in my 1996 are in the other thread I mentioned above. I'm not sure if the same lines will work for the OP's 1994.

Check Partsouq for the numbers. Figure out which 80 series (there are codes for foreign markets as well so it's more than just year) and their diagrams and search function work very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom