Brake lights staying on... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The switch gets stuck and I have to pull out on the brake pedal. How can this problem be corrected? Is it common?
Thanks!
:beer:

Unhook the harness from the switch, release the lock nut and adj the switch toward the pedal stop. Might want to replace the return spring at the same time.

If the lights are staying on, the brake pedal is not fully returning. Could be a weak return spring, or a minor adjustment on the pedal linkage.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=7794;start=msg65520#msg65520 date=1069312230]
Before you start wrenching you might try lubricating.
[/quote]

I have had 3 cruiser with sticking brake switchs........I shot or two of Kroil(or similar) has feed em all up :)

I've got the same problem, arose recently. My yellow top has saved me on a few occasions. I've unknowingly had them stick on for a solid 7 hours more than once and come back and not have a problem starting.
What else other than Kroil can I use to lubricate the switch? Thats actually what it feels it needs, the pedal returns all the way, the switch just has trouble clicking sometimes.
Can I use WD40, etc?

Brake lights staying on...cheap solution!

I had this problem on my 60. Tried all the suggestions made above, but none worked. Finally looked carefully (with a light) at the brake and found a little rubber pad that is stuck onto the brake pedal arm...the pad contacts the brake switch. What I discovered is that the pad had an indent in the middle, caused by the piston on the brake switch repeatedly pushing into the rubber. The indent prevented the center piston on the switch from being fully pushed back. The pad was available from the dealer, and was pretty cheap. No problems since.

BTW, installing it was a pain until I discovered the trick. The pad has a little tail on it that you feed through a hole. Lubricate the tail (spit works) and then grab it from the back side with a pair of needle nose pliers. Pull the tail through, and the pad pops right into place. Pushing it in from the front won't work.

Bwahahaha...you guys jinxed me. ;) After I read this thread mine got stuck too. :eek: Laughed my ass off. :D Couple drops of WD40 and back in business. 8)

I had the same problem, I sprayed WD40 on it and it works great now.

- Rico.

Had some brake work done on my 40 and when I got it back....the brake lights were staying on. Turns out the light switch wasn't clicking. Reached in a pushed the switch back and forth a few times with a flathead screwdriver they work now.

After replacing Brake Master, Clutch Master and adjusting the pedals to spec - the brake lights on my 78 would stay on. Unhooked the connector and turned the switch to adjust and it's good. In my case it seemed easier to pull the gauge panel to get to the connector/switch.

BTW - Anyone have 2 return springs on their brake pedal. Mine had 2 and what looks like only 1 spot to hook to. Can't tell if the PO put an extra spring on or if it should have 2? Can't find a detailed diagram in the manuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom