Brake issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a December 1970 FJ40 with brake issues. The front drums were replaced with e-85 Toy pickup/4Runner outers/calipers/rotors. Brakes were working fine until last week when my pedal felt stiffer, braking power was at half strength, and my rpms increased when pressing the brake in. I had to do so super firmly to stop the truck when slowing down from highway speeds.
I thought bleeding them might work. Nothing. Same issue. Ideas?? Vacuum issue? Brake booster shot? Master cylinder?

D2B1B016-7D1D-4EA2-A223-9CB87A3E4825.jpeg

Brake Booster is my guess....No boost equals more leg pressure for braking.
Bad vacuum probably cause the rpm issues.

Nice looking cruiser. I’d start with the booster. Any idea how many miles/time is on the one you currently have?

Nice looking cruiser. I’d start with the booster. Any idea how many miles/time is on the one you currently have?
50 years old this month! 😝

If it ends up being the booster; Any ideas on who sells oem or quality equivalent?

I have a December 1970 FJ40 with brake issues. The front drums were replaced with e-85 Toy pickup/4Runner outers/calipers/rotors. Brakes were working fine until last week when my pedal felt stiffer, braking power was at half strength, and my rpms increased when pressing the brake in. I had to do so super firmly to stop the truck when slowing down from highway speeds.
I thought bleeding them might work. Nothing. Same issue. Ideas?? Vacuum issue? Brake booster shot? Master cylinder?

View attachment 2511909
Possible the interior of rubber brake line has delaminated amd behaving like a one way valve? Drive truck to 10 mph coast in nutural....does the truck come to a stop faster with no brakes applied? Id look at master cylinder clean it out ..inspect floating piston. Also hard brakes could mean failing brake diaphram is leaking. Increasing rpm might indicate leaking brake assist diaphram. Do a vacume test on it.

If it ends up being the booster; Any ideas on who sells oem or quality equivalent?
check with cityracerllc.com
He has replacements, upgrades, and good info.

Also cruiser outfitters
And valley hybrids.

All these guys are on this forum and are good peeps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom