Brake fluid service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How often should we replace brake fluid in our 200s? After 100k miles / 7 years it seems as if the pedal is getting softer, even after new pads and rotors. I have not found a service interval for the 200. My 60 and 100 was every 60k but not sure with the more modern 200.

Thoughts?

30k or 2 years for me. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so you want to get that bled out. That won't affect the pedal feel, most likely that's stretched hoses or air in the system. The flush is for component longevity. Though the bleeding process will also remove any trapped air in the process.

I do a full replace on my motorcycles every 2 years. Cars usually when I have any brake work done. So if I need new pads I get fluid flush, rotors fluid flush. Issue I have is it is getting harder and harder to find a place to dispose of that stuff.

I do a full replace on my motorcycles every 2 years. Cars usually when I have any brake work done. So if I need new pads I get fluid flush, rotors fluid flush. Issue I have is it is getting harder and harder to find a place to dispose of that stuff.
Autozone will recycle it for free.

I realize you're probably asking for opinions and not factory intervals, but for others, here is a site to find all the Toyota service intervals.

Honda is every 3 years and Audi is every 2 years for brake fluid flushes on their vehicles.

I did a full fluid flush at 5 years on my LC. Although color may not matter, the new stuff sure looked a whole lot better!

The maintenance schedule is here in this link. There is no mention of a brake fluid flush interval. Absent that, go conservative.

1662161029330.png

Autozone will recycle it for free.

Not by me they won't. Neither will O'Reilly. Pissed me off as I called two different Autozones by me to ask before I did a flush. They both assured me they took it. When I brought it in the answer was nope get it out of here we can't take brake fluid.

So I have no idea what the legal method in Vegas is to get rid of it.

We have a hazardous materials depot that accepts small quantities of wastes like this from consumers. They're a part of the solid waste district. Do you have something similar in your area?

FYI toyota doesn’t spec DOT 4 because it absorbs moisture more quickly than DOT 3, and the latter can handle our braking temps just fine so there’s no real point.

German manufacturers frequently spec DOT 4 due to the operating temps.. and this explains their relatively frequent change intervals.

I’m unsure whether the brake fluid was changed on my rig before I got it at 105k, but with a moisture testing tool it was still plenty dry. By 175k it was showing some color and just barely starting to register on the tester, though well below levels that would impact performance, but I went ahead and changed it with a high quality DOT 3.

How much brake fluid does it take for a full replacement of the fluid? I can't find that in the manual.

Last edited:
It might indeed be fine. Ask how they determined it is fine. The only way I know is by measuring the water content with a measuring device. Have they done that or just "looked" at the fluid?

It might indeed be fine. Ask how they determined it is fine. The only way I know is by measuring the water content with a measuring device. Have they done that or just "looked" at the fluid?
I am not sure, but why would he refuse an opportunity to make money. He is an ex lexus Master Mechanic and a very honest man.

Most likely they tested it the same way you are supposed to - with a $10 brake fluid tester that senses the fluid’s water percentage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom