Brake Fluid Leak, But Where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took a drive and the pedal began to get soft. Checked brake fluid level and it was low. Put some in an
20210124_134439.jpg
d drive around the block and the same.
Checked under the truck and saw dripping from rear driver side radius arm, with some on inside rear tire.
Looked at it closer today and it could be coming from a brake line leak above frame rail out of sight. Doesn't look like LSPV either.
Any ideas?
20210124_134802.jpg
20210124_134830.jpg

Is that brake fluid on the tire? Hard to tell where the leak is (if any) in the pics.

Follow the line from the caliper up and see where it's wet. Just gotta crawl around till you find it.

Has to be a leak as the reservoir empties in a few minutes. I do think it is brake fluid but not certain. There is a stain by the tire and active drip from radius arm.

I'll keep searching.

LSPV can rot from the inside and start leaking. LSPV is just in front of rear axle on driver side.

LSPV is in his first pic and appears dry.

If it’s losing fluid that fast should be easy to find. Maybe grab a friend to push on pedal while you look underneath. Stains on tire may point toward caliper Leak or bad axle seal.

Also check inside the firewall above pedals where the booster rod passes through. Less common in 80s but boosters can leak internally and or inside Externally at the firewall as well. Doesn’t explain the wetness in the back but you possibly have multiple leaks ?

Loosing fluid that fast?? Start truck, grab a buddy, have them pump brakes while you crawl around. Wear eye protection.

Also check inside the firewall above pedals where the booster rod passes through. Less common in 80s but boosters can leak internally and or inside Externally at the firewall as well. Doesn’t explain the wetness in the back but you possibly have multiple leaks ?
X2 for the vacuum booster; that’s where my leak was coming from not too long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom