Brake failure! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I cleaned up the connection a bit just so I could see what I am dealing with.

View attachment 2530122

No way to use the heads of the screws as they are....so I cut a slot in each one:

View attachment 2530123

A flathead screwdriver is now a good fit, BUT if they don't break loose easily in the morning after soaking in penetrating oil, then I'll probably have to grind the heads off. Looks like there are nuts underneath the posts and I don't want to break the plastic or twist off the post connections.

View attachment 2530124

Got the new Master Cylinder rebuild kit installed without any trouble, but this is going to be a challenge.
Soaking may work for.

I've just been drilling the heads off. The trick is to not damage the lead wrapping over the nuts.

Here's one place, I posted drilling them.

Soaking may work for.

I've just been drilling the heads off. The trick is to not damage the lead wrapping over the nuts.

Here's one place, I posted drilling them.

Thanks Paul,

Found that earlier.

Thinking I will carefully grind them down with a dremel if I can't just unscrew them. But I imagine the rust is likely spread through the threads and nut....so not expecting that to work really (unscrew them).

I'm a bit surprised they didn't use stainless steel in that area. Unless a person packs the rubber cap with dielectric grease or other corrosion inhibiting product....then I'm not so sure the cap is even a good idea. I saw no evidence of brake fluid having ever gotten in that area or having spilled over. I believe it gets moist under the cap from condensation then rust sets in.

Thanks for the link and input, appreciate it.

Flint.

What do you mean by "until next day"?

Meaning I had an ABS light and warning buzzer one day, the brakes were fine and had plenty of pressure, light went out and all seemed fine. Next day it came on again and I lost ALL boost just driving from my house to my shop.

Point is: IF you've had the ABS light on and/or warning buzzer, heed that warning and look into the system to see what the trouble is. It isn't a 'fluke' and the issue will only get worse possibly leaving you with a no brake boost situation.

^^^^^
So did mine..... until the next day. Working on mine today, by coincidence. I was shocked to see how corroded the wire connections were at the ABS unit. Not too bad at the motor but at the ABS unit you can't even tell these are screws. Not even sure yet how I am going to get them off.

At motor:

View attachment 2529987

At ABS UNIT:

View attachment 2529988
What did you mean by"until next day"?

Bottom Line:

If you lost braking (ever) for ANY reason, then check into it.

Bottom Line:

If you lost braking (ever) for ANY reason, then check into it.
Man those wires are pretty much gone.
And btw i found this wire under accumulator.
Looks like it is recently unpluged.

20201222_151534.jpg

20201222_151543.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom