Brake Caliper Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any recommendations on Brake Caliper paint? I am getting new calipers and want to paint them for rust protection. If you have had a good, or bad experience with any of the common brands please let me know.

Id spray them black with VHT high temp and should be good to go. Those caliper painting kits such as from Duplicolor suck.

Also with black, if you do get some chippage here and there you dont really notice it.

On a side note, the 'Eclipse' reman calipers from Napa I bought for my FJC came black and whatever they did has held up very well for a long time...so if you can find them precoated that may be a route to take.

Id spray them black with VHT high temp and should be good to go. Those caliper painting kits such as from Duplicolor suck.

Also with black, if you do get some chippage here and there you dont really notice it.

On a side note, the 'Eclipse' reman calipers from Napa I bought for my FJC came black and whatever they did has held up very well for a long time...so if you can find them precoated that may be a route to take.
x2; Mine too.

Tossing my experience in here just to muddy the waters. My experience with a caliper painting kit from Duplicolor was totally fine - I liked the brush on application process, and it's held up well for the better part of a decade. It's on a Volvo wagon, not a Toyota, but I can't imagine that makes a difference.

I've also had good luck with the black vht caliper paint, new reman calipers cleaned very well with copious amounts of brake clean and a wire brush then paint.

Tossing my experience in here just to muddy the waters. My experience with a caliper painting kit from Duplicolor was totally fine - I liked the brush on application process, and it's held up well for the better part of a decade. It's on a Volvo wagon, not a Toyota, but I can't imagine that makes a difference.

I had done red on my old Mini Cooper's brand new calipers and just started getting small chips here and there on sharp edges. I am also in Ohio so winter was a thing to deal with...might have contributed. On another car I did the spray can in black and could just touch them up quickly every now and again.

No doubt it does last a while regardless. I had just found that the VHT stuff is TOUGH. I now opt to paint anything and everything with it. Brake calipers, check, Dog bowl holder.... check!, lol

I agree with @iwashmycar . The duplicolor caliper paint is crap. Chips off way too easy. The stuff is really thinned out too. Seemed like I was painting on water color paint. I used the stuff on my remanufactured calipers and new OEM wheel cylinders. The bare metal on the wheel cylinders provided a better surface profile than the zinc coated reman calipers. I’m only seeing chips on the calipers. I’m pretty sure my problem boils down to finding a better way to prepare the zinc coating for paint.

Last edited:
I had done red on my old Mini Cooper's brand new calipers and just started getting small chips here and there on sharp edges. I am also in Ohio so winter was a thing to deal with...might have contributed. On another car I did the spray can in black and could just touch them up quickly every now and again.
Fair enough. I'll try VHT the next time I have a need. I'm in SoCal so that probably helped a bit...

If you like silver looking calipers....I've used this paint before (and just recently) and it holds up pretty well.

BCP.jpg

I am going to go with the VHT satin black. I have used BBQ paint with poor results in the past, so hopefully the VHT works better.

Those who used VHT paint.... did you cure your calipers in the oven? 200 degrees(F) in the oven for an hour.

Those who used VHT paint.... did you cure your calipers in the oven? 200 degrees(F) in the oven for an hour.
I attempted to do this, but there was a severe amount of resistance coming from my better half.
Just a simple drive will get them to 200 pretty quickly.

Anyone use the POR15 caliper paint? I just got new Toyota calipers and I'd rather brush on than spray on to avoid overspray.
Also, are the new Toyota calipers coated? It seems like they are, perhaps in zinc? I'm in SoCal, I might just not paint them at all. I haven't decided. Opinions are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom