Brake booster source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I need a new booster, mine's shot. Sor-pricey at $400.(thats after I ship them my old one.) CCOT-not much better. I'm lookin through Hemmings Motor News, found a guy that calls himself "Booster Dewey," heres the add

"TOYOTA Land Cruiser brake booster rebuild, 1972-75, $125. "Booster" Dewey, 503-238-882, OR.

Sounds pretty good to me, I don't know any specifics or if he means you send him yours he rebuilds it, or if you send him yours and he mails you a different rebuilt one. Anyone know anything about this guy? I will probably give him a call in a few days when exams are over.

That sounds like a good price, I know when I checked on rebuilts the import parts guy said he would trust a good used first. A booster out of a mini will work depending on your year. I think it is the early to mid 80's and probably doesn't have to be 4wd, I was running one in my 75 fj 40.

The picture that JT is showing is of the later year Tandem booster. It is more powerful so I wouldn't mind if they sent me one of those anyway :D.

Why not just go get a booster/master combo out of a minitruck? I am swapping one in while doing a disk brake conversion on my FJ55. I got one out of a 1990-ish V6 pickup (the most desired one as far as I know) for $20 at pick'n'pull's 1/2 off day. That was for the booster AND master. I have to fab an adapter, but that should be easy enough. You may not have to adapt it at all. Go to a junk yard and take a tape measure with you, and see what will fit your firewall. Hope this helps!!

Ryan

I see your point, but I like stock. I can afford $135 until I go disks, at which point I will find a donor minitruck or later 40 to take it all out of. I like those tandem boosters with cruiser disks, damn those things stop!

I understand wanting to stay stock, there is certaintly merit in that. If you're going to disk brake in the future anyway, though, I'd say save your $135 and go disk brake now. Get a cheap booster/master combo like I said in my last post, plumb that in, and then put minitruck disks on the front. You can forgo the birfields and hubs, you can swap on just the knuckles and the disk brake specific parts.

On my FJ55 I am doing the whole conversion for around $40 by some cheap parts, and being given LC disk brake knuckles from someone who converted to minitruck knuckles (for hi-steer). I'm gonna end up using those knuckles, minitruck spindles/brakes etc and then my original (!) birfields and locking hubs, until I can afford longfields (www.rockbuggysupply.com) and minitruck locking hubs.

Oh I should say that $40 doesn't include fabbing a firewall adapter for the new booster/master, and plumbing in some new brake lines. I am converting from a single circuit all drum master, so I have more work to do than you do.

All in all this is just my opinion. Have fun, no matter what route you go :)

No fools no fun :D. Too much work for me at the moment, I appreciate your suggestions, and will probably go that route sometime soon. Right now its all about the lockers and transmissions for me :D

I hear ya! I'd love an SM420, right now I have to settle for a 4 speed (but that's OK). I'm welded in the back so I'm not too worried there, and I won't be putting in a lock-right in the front until I have longfields. But, locked f+r will be very very nice :D

Myself, once I get all this done my rig is going to be as-is for a while, but next year its getting rear disk brakes, 5.29's F+R and a lock right in the front, longfields, and 37's. I'm already SOA and 35's look smallish (well not really but I want 37's). Hey maybe I should put in power steering first LOL.

Yeah that might be a good idea.
I'm guessin yours isn't dual use since your goin 5.29's?
Thats been the biggest problem with mine, I can't take it off the road long enough to do a good SOA, SR, PS and disc conversion. Not to mention I can't weld. :dunno: Hey I'm only 16, I got a while to learn. :D So hopefully SM420, on board air, ARB's and I will be happy. :G

Hey don't worry I can't weld (yet....). Nope I'm not dual cased yet but with the length of an FJ55, I've got room for double tranny's if I wanted. Its all just money right? LOL.

Heck your only 16? And you've got a land cruiser? Lucky bastard! When I was 17 my parents got me a nissan sentra with an automatic... what a dog! I hated that thing. Of course now I own a sentra again for a family car, but its 20 years old and still gets better mileage than the 94 that I had.

The big thing is to have fun w/ your cruiser, man! If you have the $$, go buy a little car for $600 or so, park the cruiser and start building. But then again, who wants to park it when you can be wheelin' it!

Heck your only 16? And you've got a land cruiser? Lucky bastard! When I was 17 my parents got me a nissan sentra with an automatic... what a dog!  

The big thing is to have fun w/ your cruiser, man!  If you have the $$, go buy a little car for $600 or so, park the cruiser and start building.  But then again, who wants to park it when you can be wheelin' it!
Yep I thought about drivin an accord while I did all kinds of upgrades, got to thinkin about it, hated the idea, and am now paying the price having to wait until summer to do anything serious. (which starts tomorrow for me!!! :G) When I turned 15 I started doin research to decide what I wanted, my dad had agreed to buy me pretty much any vehicle I wanted so long as it didn't cost much, and I was responsible for it from then on out. I worked 3 summers, made 3500, and picked a cruiser instead of the close 2nd-K5 blazer. Already dropped 2/3 of my summer savings on it. But its worth it. Theres not another cruiser or anything like it in the highschool parking lot and the ladies like that :G :-* . Hey you're the one with a 55! I love the "rare" cruisers, especially the 55's and 45's. And you need not worry about me having fun, thats what this cruiser is all about! :eek: :D

Ok-back on topic, gave "booster dewey" a ring today, said he was out of the shop until monday, he'll return my call then. Found customer feedback elsewhere on the web from Chrysler people and got good reviews. I'll let yall know as this unfolds, hopefully I've found a good MUCH cheaper source of rebuilt boosters than the big names (CCOT, SOR.) :D

10-4 good buddy.

we're all 10-65

OK final update-Got a call back this morning from Booster Dewey, great guy really nice to talk to, easy to work with, good prices.  Not a bad thing to say.
He does both exchange, rebuild of yours, and will ship w/o recieving a core.  $100 core charge, refunded to your credit card when he recieves your core.  $120 for rebuild, $135 for exchange.  I am exchanging to minimize downtime.  
All in all I save $265 vs SOR. :D

Great!
where is he located?
i'm going through my brakes this month and if i can't find the problem in the master, i'll have him do my booster too.

Great!
where is he located?
i'm going through my brakes this month and if i can't find the problem in the master, i'll have him do my booster too.

he is in Oregon I believe. I have also heard good thing about him.

John

He's in Oregon. &nbsp:Doesn't really matter cause shipping is flat 48 state nationwide. I really can't say enough about him. He remembered my name after I left a message on friday, called me back on monday like his message said, he had one more in stock, I'm mailing him a check tomorrow overnight, I should have my rebuilt booster when I get back from a trip next week. I think I got the last rebuilt one, but since hes gettin my core he should be rebuilding mine, he also will take yours rebuild it the day or next he gets it and ship it back out I believe. Look at my earlier post for his number. Just call him Booster Dewey and say Bailey with the Land Cruiser recommended him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom