Brake and lamp inspection in "Cali." HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, So I'm nearing the end of my Fj40 build and just got back from the DMV and I need to get a break and lamp inspection performed. The few shops I've talked to want to see all original equipment but I have 4 wheel disc (it's a 1968 FJ40 4w drum) with a fj60 booster and a supra master cylinder. WTF.

Does anybody out there know a cruiser friendly station that would accept a far superior braking system to the original?

Any thoughts on the matter would help immensely.

Last edited:
The truck hadn’t been registered since 86'. I bought it in 2009 and have been working on it......slowly. I went in today to start the process and this is what I came across

My guess is you told them about your mods.

Tell the next guys you think it's original or just keep quiet. Maybe have your wife bring it in. They have no documents that will prove differently.

It's the rare "off road package", right?

not bad

I didn't really think about them not knowing. I just figured they'd have a book with stock equipment they'd compare it against.....maybe not??

I'll keep the group in formed either way. this was one of those pucker moments at the DMV..

maybe not??

i'm going to go with the "maybe not"

i wrecked my cruiser and part of the salvage resurrection dealio i had to do brake and lamp inspection. i got the impression from the process that they're similar to the BAR referees that do the engine swap certifications. my guy didn't notice the LSPV, and that i wasn't connected in a stock fashion, till my 3rd try. the bracket i came up with to mimic stock (i have a different rear axle, thus no stock mount point + offset for lift) didn't necessarily put it in the right place but at least it was connected again....

if i were you i'd go in there with the vehicle tippity top shape, new pads, rotors, clean as a whistle and see what happens.

they weren't looking to see that the master cylinder was original, they were looking to see that it was in good condition

they weren't looking to see that it had original brakes, they were looking to see that the pads/rotors/drums/shoes were in spec (printed on the rotors)

i would expect some hiccups to be sure, but i don't think they're as rigid as you're worried about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom