Bought an '05 4R for Danise and the kids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With both kids now having driver's licenses the 100 has been getting more use. I decided I wanted Danise and the kids to drive something a little more expendable. I tried to convince Danise to get something practical with AWD like a RAV4 or RX350 but she really likes driving a real SUV. Plus, I think they're a little better protected driving a taller, heavier SUV in the case of an accident. So today I came across an '05 SR5 with a V6. I know this morning I discussed with many of you about getting a V8 but it was mostly a want, not really a need. This one I bought has a tow package so it can tow stuff when needed. It won't do as well as a V8 version but I think it's not likely to see towing duty. The vehicle was high mileage, 195K, but the guy I bought it from is a manger/engineer at Sandia, is the original owner and all maintenance was done per the maintenance schedule at only Toyota dealerships in Tempe and ABQ. The inside is really clean and the underside is in good shape. He never took it off-road and only put it in 4WD when it snowed.

I don't actually have it yet. It was this afternoon at 4 when I told him I wanted it so there was no way to get the money. I will give him money and sign paperwork on Monday. The photos I saved from his Craigslist ad before he removed it.

4r-1.jpg
4r-2.jpg
4r-4.jpg
4r-6.jpg

Last edited:
4r-7.jpg
4r-8.jpg
4r-9.jpg

4r-10.jpg
4r-11.jpg
4r-12.jpg

Nice job Marc! Looks great. Dang, another Gen5 in the group.

Last edited:
looks in great shape! good job.

Eggcellent!

Very nice! Can't wait to see it in person. That will be great for East Mtn winters.

Still the 3.4 V6 under the hood for that year?

Very nice! Can't wait to see it in person. That will be great for East Mtn winters.

Still the 3.4 V6 under the hood for that year?

1GR-FE which is a 4.0 with VVT-i, no timing belt

It's official. The short list of things that need to be done:
- Emissions Test
- Registration
- Replace driver's sun visor (It won't stay up)
- Get some extra keys (It only came with one)
- Get a couple remote key fobs (It came with none)
- Buy some new gas springs to hold up the hood (I don't trust the stick)
- Figure out why the AC is kind of marginal
- Replace the tires (should I go middle of road - Coopers, Hankooks, or just go all out and get some BFG ATs?)
20180917_185004.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading the owner's manual and the Toyota-4Runner forum and discovered this thing has a pretty neat 4WD system. Toyota calls it multi-mode. It is a part time system. There is a dial on the dash with 2H - 4H - 4L. There is also a Diff Lock button. So it has a center differential that can be left open in 4H and 4L. It does not force you into locking the center diff in any mode. Then you decide when to lock the center diff by pushing the button on the dash. This also turns off the VSC and traction control. I have read in multiple places that it's important to operate the 4WD system monthly to keep things lubricated and help keep seals doing their jobs. The good news is that I can switch between 2H and 4H as long as I'm below 60 mph, even on dry pavement, because of the center diff.

Marc - Very cool - I think you and the family will love it!

That's the same engine we had in our '06 Tacoma and I was very pleased with it. That one had the oil filter mounted up high on the front corner of the engine. Easiest oil changes ever.

As far as tires, I would think about the BFG AT KO2's. I don't think you will go wrong there. They should be quiet enough on pavement and wear reasonably well, plus have good traction if and when you need it. I have been running a set of AT KO's on our Tundra, mostly used on pavement for trailer towing and ski trips, and I will be buying a new set of KO2's soon. Everyone I know who has bought them has been very happy with them. I am sure Pappy will chime in with his experience. I was impressed with how well they handled the deep sand in Mexico on his 4Runner.

Keep us posted with your progress!

It's official. The short list of things that need to be done:
- Emissions Test
- Registration
- Replace driver's sun visor (It won't stay up) - bought mine from Ebay I think or maybe it was Partznet. I got the one w/o the vanity light for $$$ less
- Get some extra keys (It only came with one)
- Get a couple remote key fobs (It came with none) - got mine from some website for less $$$$. They do remotes for everything.
- Buy some new gas springs to hold up the hood (I don't trust the stick) - Liftsupportsdepot.com
- Figure out why the AC is kind of marginal - common issue when R134 is low. You get warm, then cold, then warm.
- Replace the tires (should I go middle of road - Coopers, Hankooks, or just go all out and get some BFG ATs?)
View attachment 1792142

Expand to see my replies!

I have read in multiple places that it's important to operate the 4WD system monthly to keep things lubricated and help keep seals doing their jobs.

This is key, operate it standing in place. You don't need to drive it in 4low as it does nothing for the seals. Simply have a monthly reminder to operate it few times in the driveway. It should take less than five seconds to switch modes. I've rebuilt my actuator assembly and believe me, it was a royal PITA. In fact, even Toyota Techs aren't suppose to open this magic black box, just replace it.

Amazon sells the Aisin actuator http://a.co/d/cKmuZAg

Marc - Very cool - I think you and the family will love it!

That's the same engine we had in our '06 Tacoma and I was very pleased with it. That one had the oil filter mounted up high on the front corner of the engine. Easiest oil changes ever.

As far as tires, I would think about the BFG AT KO2's. I don't think you will go wrong there. They should be quiet enough on pavement and wear reasonably well, plus have good traction if and when you need it. I have been running a set of AT KO's on our Tundra, mostly used on pavement for trailer towing and ski trips, and I will be buying a new set of KO2's soon. Everyone I know who has bought them has been very happy with them. I am sure Pappy will chime in with his experience. I was impressed with how well they handled the deep sand in Mexico on his 4Runner.

Keep us posted with your progress!

I saw the oil filter sitting up there, out in the open, easy to get to. I wondered what kind of slobbery mess it would make when I unscrewed it since it sits kind of upright.

The Coopers and Hankooks are in the $150 range. The BFG AT KO2s are in the $205 range. The main differences in price seem to be related to load ranges. The SL load ranges are cheaper with the others being E-Range. I can envision doing some occasional towing so I'm thinking it would be smarter to go with the E-Range. I've got the BFGs on the 100. I'm very pleased with them. I keep wavering between practicality and just getting what I want for an extra $200. I don't expect this 4runner to see much off-road use. But then again, I don't have a crystal ball. I may discover I like taking it sometimes vs the 100, depending on who is along for the ride and where we are going. My driveway will be a lot more tame than yours is, about 350' and relatively level, then 1,000' of mostly level gravel road before I get to pavement.

Just for S&G, I'll add my inputs on the tires. I have the Falken Wildpeak AT/3s in the P rating and they're awesome. I tow all the time and managed to beat the crap out of them at DV, Ouray and wherever else w/o any issues, chunking or slicing. The price point when I bought them was stupid low, not sure now and they're uber quiet. I also love their blockiness appearance over a rounded edge but that's a personal preference.

These are the first set of P rated tires as I've always bought LT tires. But, the intended use, wheeling and long term practicality dictated P over LT. Not to mention the weight and cost is significantly less.

Ali, Thanks for the suggestions. My current visor does not have any vanity lights so that's an easy replacement to go with the cheaper version. I was thinking I would go ahead and go to AMTOY to get a couple of keys with chips and have them cut them. I wish the PO had kept the key code so I could get them cut to original spec instead of just copying my worn out key. I am considering the aftermarket remote key fobs that seem to be widely available on EBAY and Amazon. There was apparently a change in the FCC ID in late 2004 so I need to make sure I get the right ones based on my production date, which I don't know. I have seen some folks on the Toyota-4Runner forum that have bought aftermarket units and not had the best results, with the rear window button acting like a panic button instead of functioning the rear window. So I'm a little nervous about that.

Ali, Thanks for the suggestions. My current visor does not have any vanity lights so that's an easy replacement to go with the cheaper version. I was thinking I would go ahead and go to AMTOY to get a couple of keys with chips and have them cut them. I wish the PO had kept the key code so I could get them cut to original spec instead of just copying my worn out key. I am considering the aftermarket remote key fobs that seem to be widely available on EBAY and Amazon. There was apparently a change in the FCC ID in late 2004 so I need to make sure I get the right ones based on my production date, which I don't know. I have seen some folks on the Toyota-4Runner forum that have bought aftermarket units and not had the best results, with the rear window button acting like a panic button instead of functioning the rear window. So I'm a little nervous about that.

Virgil can cut keys and program chips and he did that at the meeting last sat. Why would you go to AmToy and pay premium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom