Booster Pump / Accumulator Noise diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the ignition off and the after pumping the brakes your resistance measured 1kohm, right? AKA 1000 ohms. The 1.6-2 isn't crazy high for a closed switch, but could indicate that the switch contacts are starting to fail. Does your meter read 0 ohms with the leads touching?

15799864233713022660652924690875.jpg

The ohm meter you have should be set to 2000 since you want to measure 0 and 1000ohms(1kohm). If the readings when the pressure switch is depressurized and full pressurized are close to each other within 1-2 ohms, the switch is not switching. Its supposed to change resistance since it is connected to the ABS computer. The computer can measure resistance. When it is 1kohm, the computer keeps the pump running until it measures 0 ohms. The low pressure switch works the same way. It can tell when the pressure is low and Not low. This adds redundancy to the pressure measurement.

looking at the picture, i believe the pressure switches are these based on reading the resistor values in the circles.The PH switch resistor is 1kohm. The PL switch is 4.7kohm. The PL switch switches between 1 and 5.7 kohm. This makes sense 1 + 4.7 is 5.7.

B13880E4-8A49-4FF3-A9A3-0383BADB8ECF.jpeg

I've been reading and working on it but the pump doesn't stop now. The FSM says 30-40 seconds. It goes well beyond that until it starts squealing and I get nervous and shut it off.

Thanks for the ohm setting correction.

2001LC

Do you still have those parts? since you have opened up the black box, can you see if there is continuity from PH and PHG pins to any of the electrical components pictured. It you find the component that is connected to PH, that may be the high pressure switch. I would assume PHG is a common ground so a lot of circuits would be connected to that pin. If the pressure switch can be identified, it may have a part number on the part.

View attachment 2192060

View attachment 2192061
I no longer have that one.
The ohm meter you have should be set to 2000 since you want to measure 0 and 1000ohms(1kohm). If the readings when the pressure switch is depressurized and full pressurized are close to each other within 1-2 ohms, the switch is not switching. Its supposed to change resistance since it is connected to the ABS computer. The computer can measure resistance. When it is 1kohm, the computer keeps the pump running until it measures 0 ohms. The low pressure switch works the same way. It can tell when the pressure is low and Not low. This adds redundancy to the pressure measurement.

looking at the picture, i believe the pressure switches are these based on reading the resistor values in the circles.The PH switch resistor is 1kohm. The PL switch is 4.7kohm. The PL switch switches between 1 and 5.7 kohm. This makes sense 1 + 4.7 is 5.7.

View attachment 2192359
So did you find one to check this on?

The front cover can be removed from any, for your check. Cover has a seal for dust and moisture, not a pressure seal. Important thing is to have area as clean as can be, before opening up.

Last edited:
@grundsethp you seem to have a good working knowledge of electrical components and such. Do you mind if I ask your background along these lines?

Do you think cold weather could adversely effect these switch?

My thinking has be cold weather and they'd (switch and signal they generate to control) work better. As opposed to hot weather, where my understating, resistance in wiring goes up..

Temperature does change resistance but its very small. Electrical engineers know this and design the resistors to be very different in resistance. For example 1kohm and 4.7 kohm.

My suspicion is this is a mechanical issue with the switch. The pressure switch has a membrane that is in contact with the brake fluid. That membrane flexs back and forth as shown here.

The switch is normally 1 kohm unpressorized and then 0 kohm at pressure. If the membrane starts to break down and has a pin hole, the membrane will have the same pressure on both sides which balances the pressure and the switch does not switch. This means the switch will need to be replaced. It does not look like a replaceable part.

$1200 is a lot for new Master Cylinder for a switch.

So why would it work when hot vs cold. It may be that the membrane is fine but the electrical contacts are worn and expand in dimension and work when hot but not when cold. Generally the lifetime for relays are 5-7 million cycles. The contacts in a relay are similar in a pressure switch. If you assume 150k miles with 25 mph average speed you get 6000 hours. If the switch switches once per minute, that would be 360,000 cycles. So it looks like this switch is falling short in terms of life.

I just ordered the whole master cylinder assembly including the brake booster off eBay.

I just rebuilt my master cylinder.

The person I ordered it from offers $100 to return the broken assembly. I wonder if they know something we don't about repairing them.

Could it be as simple as replacing a switch?

Ask him why he wants the core.
It could be that he tests the components and parts the unit out. The motor alone can for for over $100 without the booster.

Installed the master cylinder assembly with the brake booster and it's all good.

$700 used for the whole thing. Probably for a $6 pressure switch.

Sorry to revive, but I just experienced this today:

Video 1, pumped the system down. Then started, after 30 seconds it starts squeeling

Video 2, stomping on the pedal to provoke it

To me this sounds like overpressure, and that the accumulator pressure valve is bleeding back to the resorvoir because the pump is overpressuring the system.

Any hints on those switches, or do I have to swap the whole thing? I guess if its a sensing issue it wont help to replace the accu or pump unit.
I chased it forever, swapping the whole assembly is what worked in the end. No problems since

So you swappe it out for a used unit? Im seeing some rebuilt ones on ebay, but I don't know, my motor is atm working fine, I rebilt my master cylinder a year ago, so that is also good.

A rebuilt unit with new motor and pump might be fine, but if the problem lies within the electronics, are they checked then? hmm...

Sorry to revive, but I just experienced this today:

Video 1, pumped the system down. Then started, after 30 seconds it starts squeeling

Video 2, stomping on the pedal to provoke it

To me this sounds like overpressure, and that the accumulator pressure valve is bleeding back to the resorvoir because the pump is overpressuring the system.

Any hints on those switches, or do I have to swap the whole thing? I guess if its a sensing issue it wont help to replace the accu or pump unit.
Replace the brake master!

There's a seal in the forward end of master, that is failing to hold pressure. It will get worst. At first it's typically leaks (squeal), when cold. As pressure builds, by booster motor pumping fluid into accumulator. Pressure is released past this failing seal. As brakes use the seals warm. Which at first may swell the seal, enough to hold high pressure. But over time the seal has more or more trouble holding pressure. As pressure drops, booster motor turns on. Booster motor ends up running longer and longer duration. The motor is designed to run often, but short spurts. By running longer duration, it permanently wear outs. Which results in motor failure. Which motor failing to spin, master will have zero pressure. Resulting in sudden brake failure.

I suspect, your reservoir has been cleaned or replaced. I say this, because, it as clean as new ones are. We see this seal fail, where fluid has not been properly serviced over the years. By flushing with Toyota brake fluid regularly. Old brake fluid is dark and their reservoirs stained. Which is a clue of bad seals. A clue you do not show, WHY?

Last edited:
Well the claanlines of the resorvoir is due to me changing the piston, I claned the resorvoir when I did that, it was pretty dark when I got the car. The pedal was weird and mushy. Firmed right up after I changed the piston and bled the breaks.

So perhaps getting a remanufactured one is an option after all?

So you swappe it out for a used unit? Im seeing some rebuilt ones on ebay, but I don't know, my motor is atm working fine, I rebilt my master cylinder a year ago, so that is also good.

A rebuilt unit with new motor and pump might be fine, but if the problem lies within the electronics, are they checked then? hmm...
I tried rebuilding my master cylinder and then replaced the accumulator.

Beware, I bought an accumulator off eBay that was for a GS. Looks very similar but it is smaller. The listing showed it was for a LX part number.

Nothing worked. Bought a used complete unit and never had another issue.

Hello,

can someone tell me if it is possible (and if so, how) to distingush a "Genuine Toyota spare part" from a "chinese one"? After failing the booster-pump-motor of my HDJ100 (250.000km, brushes and collector complete worn); I ordered this item:

Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus LX470 OEM Brake Booster Pump & Accumulator 47070-60010

It arrived today, the box is labeled with "Genuine Toyota Parts", there is also the Toyota part number sticker. But on the motor/pump item I can´t find nothing that says "Toyota", "Aisin" or something similar... not even a "Hazard, high pressure inside" warning sticker. And now, of course I´m asking myself, if this maybe exactly the same piece like these ones that are sold from China for 2-300$.

I think I shouldn´t doubt; but I also alwas thought, that genuine spare parts of whatever manufacturer wear a sticker, a label, a janpanese-looking scratchmark, anything like that...

Thank you in advance.

btw: The motor failed (without any noise or intermittent failure before) on a trip at nearly the highest with a car reachable point in our province and some 40km and 1000m of hight difference from home. The location is not accesible for a pick-up service truck, so I tried to get to a "official road"... and once there, I remebered that lemma from good race drivers: "The one who brakes, loses the race", so with help of reduction gear, manual shifting of AT, handbrake and my wife´s encouraging words from the passenger seat; I managed to get home. Luckily that happened at 10pm, so there was practically no traffic on the (mountain) roads. The residual braking power by pressing the pedal hard is ridiculous; I used this on the whole way home only once: to stop in the garage at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom