Bolts in my rotor? WTF? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 40 mins ago, some jackass cut me off coming to a red light and I had to lock up the brakes. From there I started getting a metal grinding sound here and there. At first I thought it was a rattling clip came off, so a pad was bouncing around. But then something literally prevented my wheel from turning at low speeds. I went straight home to see the issue and I found a bolt wedged in between my lower control arm and the inside of the rotor(see pic). I found another bolt completely sheered off at the head within the rotor fins.

I haven't taken off the rotor yet because I'm dreading the retarded process in removing the hub just to get to the rotor.

Issue and reason I am posting, is anyone have an idea on where these 2 bolts could have come from? It looks like the bolts from the truck but everything looks accounted for. I am totally lost here.

20200115_164819.jpg

20200115_165024.jpg

20200115_165034.jpg

Yikes might be the bolts that holds the hub to the rotor

Yikes might be the bolts that holds the hub to the rotor
Oh, you were right. once I took off the spacer I could see it. Argh. Now I fear the otherside is just as bad or getting there.

I do have to say one thing, if you are going to do something, do it yourself. Relied on a shop to torque those down after they broke the old ones loose since I didn't have the tools to hold down the rotor and torque it....

I didn't have the tools to hold down the rotor and torque it....

Snug down the rotor bolts then attach the assembly to the wheel (the one you removed from the car), the size and weight of the wheel and tire makes it easy to break loose/re-torque those bolts. Can't remember if I stood or sat on the wheel as I was torquing the rotor bolts, but that's an option to make sure it doesn't move around.

Snug down the rotor bolts then attach the assembly to the wheel (the one you removed from the car), the size and weight of the wheel and tire makes it easy to break loose/re-torque those bolts. Can't remember if I stood or sat on the wheel as I was torquing the rotor bolts, but that's an option to make sure it doesn't move around.
Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

^this

recent service?

Son of a biscuit, that's one heck of bad deal. thanks for sharing, another great tip you've given us and example of why we work on these ourselves most of the time. Since I've been on mud, I could never imagined mechanics would do so many things wrong, incorrect, forgetful, who knows, but causing the customer issue after issue due to poor workmanship.

I did this exact same thing, definitely standing on the rotor while I tightened them down. This process was also used in breaking them loose for me.

I used blue loctite when I torqued mine down last month after a bearing repack. Totally buried and can’t re-check them once reassembled. 👎
Actually, I realized today these bolts CAN be inspected after installation. Remove the wheel and you can see the ends of the screws protruding outward by a couple millimeters. They should all be the same. If one's backing out it's time to pull that rotor!

F851585E-C761-4A04-8558-D141EF5C09D3.jpeg

38F670CF-3EF9-4A00-BC14-5B3006A10CE0.jpeg

512F5922-1D7E-46E9-88B9-B894DBD877FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Here was the dmg that 2 bolts did in just a few miles. Still need to check the other side.

I did use enough blue locktite and placing it in the wheel method to torque it down. Worked very well. Thanks guys for the tip.

20200116_152417.jpg

what should these be torqued down to?
From the FSM it was 54 ft lbs

First time I've seen this - that sucks and would have to have been very loose to rotate itself out.

Might be worth throwing a paint pen mark on the rotor hat and exposed bolt threads.

Last edited:
Best to pull that all apart and see if the seals/spindle got compromised too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom