Bolt size?? Easy ? for someone. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me what size this bolt is? It holds a bracket that runs to the exhaust to the engine/bell housing. Thanks, Dan.
Missing bolt (Small).jpg

No one? Pic is looking up from just behind passenger side front tire. Someone (maybe someone with the FSM?) knows this. Please help me out.

I would look it up if my FEDEX would ever deliver my :censor: FSM!

Can't you reach it and trial and error with some metric sockets or something?

I don't know, and it's hard to tell the scale from a picture but I'd try an M10x1.25xhowever long you need. If not, M8 or M12 (x1.25) are other options. HTH

Can't you reach it and trial and error with some metric sockets or something?

Sorry, it dawned on me after I posted that you were referring to the EMPTY HOLE :doh:My FSM arrived today, and I think I found the bracket in the picture under the process outlined to remove the engine.

Unfortunately, it just says remove the 2 bolts and does not give their size.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems Toyota uses the same size bolts in most pieces meaning that the other bolts holding the bracket in place might be the size you need for the void. Just a thought.

You might be telling me duh, after this comment.:)

I just went out to my truck and was looking @ my driveshafts when I thought about your post. I took a look at this bolt and it looks like a 14mm, same as driveshaft bolts.

Strange but it looks to be the same size as the three other bolts in the pictures, might be shorter but I can only think that it's the same diameter and thread. I have a "rattle" coming from that area and now have to inspect mine to see if that's the source as it could be the offender.

Strange but it looks to be the same size as the three other bolts in the pictures, might be shorter but I can only think that it's the same diameter and thread. I have a "rattle" coming from that area and now have to inspect mine to see if that's the source as it could be the offender.

It looks like it but it's smaller. A 14mm fit right on the one you're missing when I went out and tried it.

OK, it's a 10 mm bolt (shank, not head). I bought one at Home Depot, but just could NOT get it in. It is zinc plated. Could that be the problem? I'm not sure if it's something like that or if I'm just not getting it lined up quite correctly. It's a in a bit of an odd position to get to, and that bracket seems to be ever so slightly blocking the hole. BTW, I am getting a rattle from there too- hoping this will fix it. Thanks for the replies, Dan.

When talking about bolt sizes normally a 10mm bolt means a bolt where the shank diameter is 10mm. The head size has little/no relation to the bolt size. A 10mm bolt could have a 14mm head or a 17mm head or a.... Not necessarily related.

Disclaimer: I'm no fastner expert, but this is my understanding of the bolt dimensions used on our trucks.
A M10x1.25x35 bolt is a metric (M) bolt with a 10mm diameter shank, 1.25 is the thread pitch (1.25 threads per mm), and 35 is the length (in mm). The reason your zinc plated bolt won't fit is most likely the thread pitch. 1.25 is a fairly fine pitch, the one from Home Depot is probably too coarse (less threads per inch). Most all the bolts on your truck are of the metric variety, with M8, M10 and M12 x1.25 being the main sizes that Toyota likes. If there are any 6mm bolts, they are probably M6x1.0

HTH!

:whoops::eek: I didn't see that he denoted that it was a 10mm shank. My bad. Sorry for the idiotic comment

So, do you think the local stealership would have one? BTW, PLEASE, no more idiotic posts ;) Just kidding. Thanks for ALL the replies.

No worries, just don't do it again :flipoff2:

Kidding! I wouldn't have known this either 6 months ago. It's amazing what you learn from owning such a truck. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom