Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Install was pretty straight forward. I wish I did a better job of cutting the corner to fit the bumper cap. I think I took off more than I needed in areas that didn’t need to be cut and left too much in spots that needed more cutting. You can see in the picture my bumper cap is at an angle and I assume this is because it’s still hitting the corner. I ordered the limit linkage today and will need to remove my bumper cap again for this anyways so maybe I’ll get it cut properly while I’m in there this time. For those ordering now I believe Matt makes this cut for you.
You will also see where once installed my gf immediately let it swing open and damage the body of the cruiser. Be careful these things are heavy. She helped with the entire install and many other cruiser installs as she’s an engineer so I can’t be too upset, sigh. Limit linkage install should fix this from happening in the future.

Here’s what I did to refresh the backend. I removed the spare and tow hitch from underneath, painted the plastic corner bumper caps, mud flaps and metal bumper cap in the middle with black raptor liner. My girlfriend used a paint pen to redo the LandCruiser lettering. I am really pleased and it all came together thanks to the carrier.

IMG_7732.png

IMG_7733.png

Edit: I’ll get more and better pictures once I am 100% complete. Most everyone’s install pics are in their driveway, I’ll have to get some of it out in the wild 🏔️

Last edited:
mhmmm, now that might be a possibility
Yeah, if you made some rock sliders, I'd buy them. I love the low profile appearence.

I am probably going to put my order in pretty soon for one of these. Do you have any plans to make a mount for a 5LB propane tank? That would be amazing! :D

The idea of having it modular so you can keep adding mounts/accessories to it is just brilliant! Great work!

Reactions: GGM
To be completely transparent with everyone, GGM has become a project on the weekend. So, new product developments are going to be limited and product lines are going to be constricted. Lead times are also going to increase. I'm not pulling the plug on the 80 series parts yet, but it may differ in the future. Of course, if anything changes I will let everyone know here.

I also want to say thank you to everyone in this community! Everyone as a whole as been great to work with and I hope I met your expectations. 🍻

To be completely transparent with everyone, GGM has become a project on the weekend. So, new product developments are going to be limited and product lines are going to be constricted. Lead times are also going to increase. I'm not pulling the plug on the 80 series parts yet, but it may differ in the future. Of course, if anything changes I will let everyone know here.

I also want to say thank you to everyone in this community! Everyone as a whole as been great to work with and I hope I met your expectations. 🍻
This is a real bummer to hear. I always want to support small business, but this kind of stuff makes it hard. I hope product support and replacement parts are available for many years to come 🤞

This is a real bummer to hear. I always want to support small business, but this kind of stuff makes it hard. I hope product support and replacement parts are available for many years to come 🤞
I wouldn’t be put off from buying any tire swings or products. the fact that the spindles have sourceable bearings, seals, and small parts, you wont have to worry about proprietary replacement parts.

Keep supporting small businesses, even during their different stages, that way they can prevail in the long run.

Just ordered one. Anyone ever get the specs on the gas strut used by another member?

If you need anything or are interested in anything we already have, let me know, save some money on shipping!
Just signed up for your product update. I can definitely pick it up locally. You have a very nice product and I'm glad to support local business.

• Love
I
Just ordered one. Anyone ever get the specs on the gas strut used by another member?
figured it out myself. Strut I had is too long and wants to keep it rotating out and thus contacts plastic bumper. Testing a 20” strut in the near future. I used an online calculator to get my placement window then bolted it through the bumper metal and put another ball connector on the bottom side of swing out. Pics attached

IMG_3634.jpeg

IMG_3633.jpeg

It may be the end of December or after the first of the year. I was getting behind on orders and didn't want to not make deadlines. Best thing to do is sign up for email notification so when I start accepting orders again you'll get an email.

It may be the end of December or after the first of the year. I was getting behind on orders and didn't want to not make deadlines. Best thing to do is sign up for email notification so when I start accepting orders again you'll get an email.
Signed up, thanks a lot!

• Love
Everyone should have gotten their packages by now. I had one report of a package destroyed by UPS. Looks like it was thrown out of the airplane 🤦‍♂️. How did everyone else's arrive? Initial impressions? Let us know how the install goes!
Cargo handler was probably upset when he realized it was for a Land Cruiser and not his rusty Land Rover 😉

Are most people using stock lug nuts to mount tire to carrier? Mine is a 97, and wanted to get them ahead of time.

Are most people using stock lug nuts to mount tire to carrier? Mine is a 97, and wanted to get them ahead of time.
If you’re using the factory wheel, the lug nuts should be ok. I had zero offset wheels so I used open ended lug nuts to make sure there was enough bite on the studs since the wheel sticks out a little more.

I'm working on a couple different concepts for the "corner armor" all of which will work with the tire carriers already out in the world. Right now I have 3 different ideas and want to hear some of your feedback.

Idea 1: Corner armor completely replace the bumper plastic and integrates with the existing frame mount. This would be the middle of the road on cost and weight. pictured without the spindle.
View attachment 3320041

idea 2: Full corner replacement. This is essentially a bumper but without the long piece going across the truck. it would gain more clearance than idea 1 and be the strongest and most protection while also strengthening the tire carrier. It also will be the most expensive and heaviest of the current ideas. I don't have a great model to take a picture of yet but it would look similar to above but gain about 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance. It would replace the frame mount for a 1 piece unit.

Idea 3: Reuse the frame mount and plastic but trim the bottom of the plastic to gain clearance and add a plate to the bottom that would protect the corner if you drop into a hole/rock. This would go along with the theme of keeping the stock look but add the protection needed all while staying mostly light. This option would be the cheapest and lightest of the three. It could look something like this underneath the plastic.
View attachment 3320045

The plastic would be cut levelish with the frame, something like this

View attachment 3320046

What are your thoughts/preferences??
I'm about to install my swing out..I'd be interested to test install any of them tbh if you wanna send one. I have a 97 LX450 and am not married to the plastic end caps at all

Just a heads up on my install. I have a 97 40th, original owner so it came from dealer with the Valley brand hitch on back. I have seen many 80's with same brand. When I went to attach spindle it was too low and holes didnt match. There is spacers welded to the hitch bracket (2 on each side). I had to remove hitch assembly, grind the one spacer off prep and paint and install the spindle under frame. The width of spindle piece that tow hooks mount to, is sandwiched between frame and tow assembly and luckily was same thickness of spacer I removed. Everything lined up and was perfect. Just passing this along in case someone else needs it.

IMG_2858.jpeg

IMG_2859.jpeg

IMG_2855.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom