Body Swap Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YMT

Threads
I am looking for some knowledge and ideas on a possible body swap. I have done some research, however, I also wanted to get schooled here too.

I have a 1991 FJ80 that was rolled. The body is scrap, however, the doors, interior, and drive train are all in great shape- however, it cannot be registered (it has a parts only title). I have a second FJ80 that I will be putting many of the parts into, which leaves the frame and drive train. So here's what I want to do: I want to swap a pickup cab and front end onto the 80 chassis and make a small flatbed. These are some considerations I have, but please post up anything I have not considered:

-FJ80 dimensions: 72" wide, WMS 63.5"
-T100 cab: 75.2" wide, WMS 66.75"
-Tacoma: 66.5" wide, WMS 60.75"

I've been searching and can find a T100 extended cab truck for cheap. 2wd extended cab Tacomas are slightly more, yet still reasonable for this project. I know I will need to fab up body mounts for either truck. What are other considerations for this, other than to swap the drivetrain into a Tacoma (its been done before, but I like to be different).

Agree with creepersleeper on that one. The 3FE is a long motor and the pickup's engine bay are designed for tiny little 4 cyl and v6's..so fiting it int here is going to be a challenge. What's your end game for the rig? Is it a dedicated wheeler or are you looking for a DD with a little more power?

If it's a wheeler chop the firewall out and maybe move the trans tunnel back so you can fit the auto and the 3FE. You will definitely have to relocate the radiator to the back with some electric fans. Use exhaust tubing to connect the radiator from the water pump and back to the thermostat.

This is a massive undertaking and I'm not sure the journey there is worth the end process...but good luck!

If it's not going to be a wheeler, I think you should do something like this old Dodge Carry-All

F145937673.jpg

I hadn't even researched engine size, so thanks for mentioning that. I will have to do more comparison on trucks.

As far as usage/end game, I am wanting a long term project to teach my kids how to wrench, while also having something that is against-the-grain. I have considered a fj40, 45, or even a 55 body, but those seem to be fairly common now (which would also help since there is plenty of knowledge base). I tend to overbuild vehicles, so I would probably build it for hardcore wheeling but more likely use it for moderate to heavy wheeling. It wouldn't see much if any pavement, since my registration option is now parts or OHV use.

That Dodge Carry-all would make an awesome wheeler too!!! Is that on a 80 frame?!?

If you don’t mind lots of work consider a 75 Series ex mine truck from Canada. You have to really want to take it on. The bodies are trashed but it’s modular like a 40 so new or used parts are still available. Before I found my 75 body I was thinking T100 on 80 chassis.

If you don’t mind lots of work consider a 75 Series ex mine truck from Canada. You have to really want to take it on. The bodies are trashed but it’s modular like a 40 so new or used parts are still available. Before I found my 75 body I was thinking T100 on 80 chassis.

That has some potential. Thanks! I have seen some 70 series around CA, but ones I've seen are pristine and they want a small fortune. But I admit I haven't looked at them for parts. I will do some research. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom