Body Panel Rust - Opinions Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the truck up on stands for the long weekend to do some work I've put off, cleaning the minor surface rust on her underside, spraying, and oil undercoating as well as regular maintenance. When I pulled the front mudflaps to allow ease of access, I discovered a gnarly hole in the door frame corner that was hidden:

20200119_105822_HDR.jpg

As well as a crumbling edge behind the fender flare:
20200119_110238_HDR.jpg

I intend to clean them up and coat to prevent growth as best as I can - the truck can't stay garaged where it is indefinitely.

Having never needed any body work done on a vehicle, how bad is it? A pretty expensive repair to do properly (not worried about perfect but need this truck to last)? Any ideas for a quick solution while I sort out the best options?

Thanks

From the pictures, it looks like you'll be cutting rust out and welding in patch panels. This image isn't from a Toyota, but will give you an idea.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 06.48.58 AM Jan.20.20.png

The first photo looks like it would be able to be replaced with a piece like #7 above. The second photo looks like the wheel well lip, so perhaps replacing the whole front fender (#6) would be the better route. Depending on whether the inner fender well (#8) is plastic or metal, that may need to be replaced as well. And the door sill (#10) may need to be replaced depending on how far back the rust in the first photo goes.

Your avatar looks like a 70-series? If so, finding the panels in the US may be an issue but it seems like people are able to import things from overseas. There are a couple 70-series builds on here that are getting overseas parts.

There isn't really a quick fix. Slathering bondo or fiberglass on it might get it through a vehicle inspection if needed, but is likely to trap more moisture in and accelerate the rusting. Keeping it coated with oil or such may slow down the progress of the rust until it can be fixed properly.

Cost will depend on availability of panels and quality of the work to be done. Quality isn't just an appearance issue. A sloppy job will have you back to where you are now in short order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom