BODY/FRAME REMOVAL;LC4SPD VS 465 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, GOT MY ENGINE OUT FINALLY, WHAT A BITCH! GOING TO DO 350 SWAP. FIRST, HOW HARD IS IT TO REMOVE THE FRAME FROM THE BODY SO I CAN CLEAN MY FRAME UP A BIT. IS IT WORTH IT? ANYONE KNOWS HOW MUCH IT WEIGHS? SECOND, MY CRUISER IS A 1970 FJ40 BY THE WAY, I HAVE A 4 SPD LC TRANNY WITH A 4SPD TRANSFER CASE. SHOULD I STICK WITH THAT, OR PUT A SM 465 IN WITH THE 4 SPD TRANSFER CASE? THANKS

The landcruiser 4spd is a very good transmission. Works good with the chevy V8 It shifts alot nicer than the american truck transmisions. Depending on what you are going to do with the rig. ie size of tyres conditions you are are going to use it for the 4spd transfer case should be fine exept for you extreme crawler type stuff.
I've got the stock 4spd trans and transfer case behind a stock 2f pushing 35's and the stock 4:11's. I just keep it in low range on the trail. The torque of the 2F is more than adequate. The V8 would be nice for running down the highway.
As far as removing the body, yes it is alot of work and yes just the dang tub is heavy. If you were going to the trouble to take it off take it off and throw it away and put an alluminum tub on, they are really nice. If you're worried about rust just hose down you're frame with corrosionX or ACF50. Alot less work. Less work = more time for wheeling. :beer:

Cody, I completely stripped my cruiser down, it's not as bad as it sounds. If your cruiser's a bit rusty, it's definently worth it, sand blast and coat everything in your choice of paint. The body tub is fairly heavy (I'm guessing 300 -500lbs), but three guys can handle it, if you have access to a front-end loader or forklift it's really easy. The 4speed transmission is a good unit, if your cruiser is pretty much only used as a trail rig then the SM465 would be a bit better. :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom