Builds BNG Cruzr - Journey Back to Dirt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys -

As of 4/14/18 I become the owner of a 1989 Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser. It is the Beige Metallic color and seems to have remained stock throughout its 204,287 miles since rolling off the line.

I live in Boulder, CO and have been searching for a proper FJ62 for about 4 months. I found this one in Wichita, KS and engaged the seller and began talking about the truck. I felt pretty good about the apparent condition of the vehicle after speaking with the owner and meeting his parents to purchase the vehicle in Wichita, KS.

DE4JQif.jpg

I flew out and eventually settled on the final price, and took off back to Colorado.

UNUgFBZ.jpg

About 200 miles into the drive the check engine light came on and at my first stop I found quite a bit of fluid on the ground. Nervously I rolled down the highway at about 55 until she got comfortable at about 75mph! She settled in at about 3k rpm and hummed right along for the rest of the trip. I was astounded at how well she cruised down the road.

OIdhYAh.jpg

It was a neat experience for me, buying my first old vehicle (two years older than I am!) listening to the OG radio cruising through static on the radio as I rolled back into Boulder 20 hours after leaving my house the morning before. Exhausted and anxious about my experience, I lay awake for a bit digesting the decision I made and eventually finding the back of my eye-lids in the early morning.

Long story short, there is quite a bit that needs to be done cosmetically that hasn't been addressed - then again, that is why we take these things on. I am very excited to get started on this journey and reconnect with a part of my life that I was missing. We will see what kind of mechanical condition the old lady is in once I climb under the car and get the FJ over to the local Toyota Mechanic in Boulder, CO.

6XxZ3pr.jpg

wV40yqX.jpg

I will post main images here that help tell the the story, however - I will be trying to document the journey through images as often as possible (it seems ih8mud is lacking as a photo sharing platform), and will be starting with a photoblog hosted here [to be added].

cheers and beers

JR

Last edited:
EXTERIOR - 4/15/18

VNcqI1J.jpg

7GwHI50.jpg

6XxZ3pr.jpg

Fz6SLGd.jpg

DxWTq2e.jpg

IdEvjgW.jpg

uLRclYL.jpg

j6blj1o.jpg

CxOFeNp.jpg

Last edited:
INTERIOR - 4/15/18

pZJWdMY.jpg

SFtpcVw.jpg

OL1g3uS.jpg

QHEZfw6.jpg

JkrmFaS.jpg

nIs1vPl.jpg

S1HclLH.jpg

Last edited:
Space saved for current photo

Last edited:
Space for updated budget:

Last edited:
This is where I host DIY Threads/YouTube videos that have helped me along the way:

Past

Current

Future
Polish Chrome

Last edited:
Here is a list of all the parts I am buying/looking for/planning for:

Aftermarket:
ARB Style Front Bumper
iPad Mount into Dash
Back-up Camera Screen into Dash
New Single Din Radio
New Front Speakers
New Rear Speakers
New Amp for Speakers
New Subwoofer
New Interior Trunk Sides
New Reverse Camera
New ARB LED Lights
Pendleton Wool Interior for Seats, Door Cards and Center Console
Grey/Black Manual Mirrors
20% Tint + Gradient on Windshield
Dynamat/Noico Sound Deadener
LED Bulbs for Side Markers, Turn Signals and Brake Lights
LED Bulbs for Interior Dash
Rear Trunk Lift Pistons
Rear Trunk Interior Lights
Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Suspension - Purchased and Installed
Volk RAYS TE37x Progressive 16x8 +0 Bronze - Purchased and Installed (Need one more)
Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75/r16 - Purchased and Installed (Need one more)
YETI Tundra 45 - Purchased (Hanging in Garage)
New Carpet - Purchased
Tuffy Center Console - Purchased
BMW 3 Series Front Power Seats - Purchased
Rear Tire Carrier 4x4 Labs - Purchased

OEM:
Front Side Markers
Front Turn Signals
Rear Brake Lights
License Plate Light Covers
Interior Dome Light Cover

To be continued ...

Last edited:
Alright - First real post.

I've got a leak and I have located it. Correct me if I am wrong:

ehOznac.jpg

2MVL2tQ.jpg

I think the fluid is from the radiator (those bolts/hose/area there) and I need to add coolant, right? - Since I am extremely new to this world (coming from a 2013 VW Golf, '12 WRX, '14 STI), I have never needed to add coolant. You can see how much has run out, its all over the bottom front end sways and axle at this point since I drove 500 miles yesterday.

Can I simply tighten this up or should I replace the hoses completely? Will these guys wear over time?

Thanks,

Transmission oil - not coolant I don't believe. From the trans cooler line.

Have fun on your journey.

Thanks man - you are 100% correct. The radiator has a large hose, right?

Any restrictions on the type of tranny oil I put in there? Anything I should know?

^X2

Check Automatic Transmission Fluid levels...tighten up those cooler line fittings, and see if it stoped the leak.

What Big blue said. On a 30 yr old vehicle cleaning is your friend. However you want to effectively clean - Simple Green, Engine Degreaser, Brakekleen. Clean before the repair and then you know immediately if you were successful.

Big hose I'd coolant to the motor. Small hose is trans fluid to the transmission.

Great advice - thanks. I’ll steal the dish brush from the kitchen.

Wife will love that!

JR

What Big blue said. On a 30 yr old vehicle cleaning is your friend. However you want to effectively clean - Simple Green, Engine Degreaser, Brakekleen. Clean before the repair and then you know immediately if you were successful.

Big hose I'd coolant to the motor. Small hose is trans fluid to the transmission.

The bottom of the radiator has a smaller cooler/warmer that the automatic transmission fluid circulates through. In the winter it gets the trans up to temp quicker, in the hot months it does cooling duty.

Check that the hose fittings are snug.

Also worth mentioning is that the power steering system uses automatic transmission fluid from a separate reservoir - so a leak in the ps system (pump as well as steering gearbox leaks are common) will leave atf drips all over.

Welcome to the leaks :)

Sounds like a good and productive/educational trip back home.

You must be a nooby Land Cruiser owner - your hands are WAY too clean in those photos! And wait...we have leak photos, but none of the vehicle itself? Bring 'em on!

Read the owner's manual (order one if you don't have one) from cover to cover. Study all the fluids, capacities, settings, etc., since they predate your automotive experience. Dexron III (not IV) is what goes in your transmission and power steering. Getting everything clean is important to being able to spot future leaks, so you're on the right track by getting it clean.

Sounds like a good and productive/educational trip back home.

You must be a nooby Land Cruiser owner - your hands are WAY too clean in those photos! And wait...we have leak photos, but none of the vehicle itself? Bring 'em on!

Read the owner's manual (order one if you don't have one) from cover to cover. Study all the fluids, capacities, settings, etc., since they predate your automotive experience. Dexron III (not IV) is what goes in your transmission and power steering. Getting everything clean is important to being able to spot future leaks, so you're on the right track by getting it clean.

Could you recommend a good source for an original owner's manual?

I added pictures for you! Thanks for the sound advice.

JR

Great looking cruiser!
You might want to install an auxiliary trans cooler!
It will save your tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom