Blue Smoke Startup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see I have blue smoke at startup agian.
I had this happen some time ago but it want away.
I had gas in the oil and I assume its a leaking injector. I ran a can of FI cleaner and my rich/lean codes went away.

If my injector(s) are still leaking, could the excess gas in the cylinder(s) cause a blue smoke?
Or do I need to AutoRX the motor?

excess fuel will give black smoke. blue smoke is oil.

you could try ARx if it is problem that it can work against (dist & sludge) then it may help, a cmmon source of blue smok on start is valve seals/guides

What about gas in the oil?
Could the gas in the oil dilute the oil to the point that the gas/oil mix that sits on the valves, leak into the cylinder?

anything is possiable, but is it probiable? I would think for this to happen, you would need a lot of fuel in the oil, to the point it could screw up your bearing as well, and you would see lower oil pressure as well. Just my thoughts. robbie

I had 2.8% gas in the oil and I did have high lead. 17 was the number from Blackstone. 3 is the univerals average.
If I still have gas in the oil on the oil sample I will send in on Tue I will have the injectors cleaned.
I wish there was a home kit to check if there was gas in the oil.

landtoy80 said:
I wish there was a home kit to check if there was gas in the oil.

sniff the stick,

LOL, read that after posting and realized someone would have fun with it :flipoff2:

back on topic you can smell fuel in oil.

may not be a perfect test giving you a lab accurate % but if you smell raw fuel in the oil it is there it is simple quick home test. your nose is the most sensitive fuel detector you own, as stated there a UOA would be best but that is not what you asked.

sorry for posting a 62 question in this thread, but it's the only one i've found talking about this problem. i've got an 88 fj62 with fuel in the oil as well (confirmed by smell-o-meter). no smoke in the exhaust, the injectors sound like they're functioning correctly, and nothing funky with the oil pressure. only thing that i've had that is remotely symptomatic is a bit of rough idling. still, fuel in oil=bad. my original thought was to pull the injectors, but....any thoughts on what other culprits there might be if it isn't the injectors.

Someone posted that blow-by could put gas in the oil.
As for posting a 62 in the 80 section, its OK. The 62 is a pre80 as it has the 3fe.
AND its OK as I did it and got away with out the post being bumped :D

Kurt,

I can smell raw gas in the oil of my 93. Yet the Blackstone result was fine and I specifically mentioned this in my request. Just a data point for ya.

DougM

I drained my oil and forgot to get a sample but I did get enough from the from the last drops of oul coming out the pan.
I asked Blackstone if that sample would be ok?
reply:
Taking the sample at the end of the drain should not hurt anything. What
might skew the results is if you started the engine (but didn't drive it)
before you changed the oil. That tends to leave a lot of fuel in the oil. We
like to see people actually drive, preferably on the highway, before
sampling. Regardless, if you have a major fuel problem, we should see it no
matter what. Even if you started the engine and then shut it off, we should
not find more than 2.0% to 2.5% fuel. A serious problem will leave more fuel
than that.

My last UOL from Blackstone had 2.8% gas in the oil.
I think the wife only drove it a few blocks before I changed the oil.
Maybe my 2.8% was from driving a couple blocks, turning off the motor and returning the same distance.

I didn't think just starting the motor would put that much (2.0 to 2.5%) in the oil.
As my motor is old, it might let more gas in the oil as the rings might not be as tight as a newer motor.
BUT I did have a high lead count (bearings).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom