Blower Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had the usual squealing, chirping front cabin blower motor. For the sake of empirical science ordered 2 blower motor fan assemblies: one from the dealer and one aftermarket from Rock Auto.

Can confirm the usual recommendation against the aftermarket parts (if one can afford, of course).

The aftermarket one is UAC BM 9180C. It weighs much, much less, the fan wheel geometry is smaller and it whines a little. Not an unpleasant sound, but it is there. Looks like Chinese cut too many corners.

I am also disappointed in the original OEM Lexus unit. I never had anything like that on my panthers that I ran for decades and millions of miles.
Toyota part number is 87103-60250 (fits LS400 as well)

Not your NASA level high-tech stuff... Toyota could do better for the price.

Last edited:
I wonder if these are serviceable? Like replacing bearings and stuff

What was the cost of the OEM unit? Mine squeal bad.

I too am kinda curious, I guess I could let my fingers do the searching. Mine chirps a bit and sequels here and there, I even removed it to clean it, but nothing to clean; it was clean. It's not too bad yet, and it doesn't do it often.

Update: the aftermarket unit had to be warrantied. I didn't want waste my time and installed a Toyota part.

Oilite bearing or nylon bushing?

I wonder if these are serviceable? Like replacing bearings and stuff

I have not figured out a way to pull the wheel off the shaft without seriously mangling some stuff. But, I have blasted some thin lubricating oil all over it from the outside (with little red spray tube), and it makes the squealing go away for at least a couple years. It will make the LC smell like oil for a few days, but it’s free and easy.

I got the hamster-wheel off, but there is a pressed collar on top. Two motor brushes could be replaces, but I haven't managed to get the collar around the axle removed yet.

20201023_073439.jpg

20201023_073447.jpg

Managed to pry the collar off with a screwdriver, lifting each 1/4 side, bit by bit. Underneath is a e-clip retainer, but I don't see a bearing. Under the E-clip is a stack of washers/spacers...metal, plastic, rubber, and rubber. The apparatus underneath again seems pressed in. Too difficult to remove without breaking it.

I finally got around to replacing the chirping and squeaking blower motor in our 99 LX. The hardest part was figuring out that the screws were Torx/8mm.

Had the usual squealing, chirping front cabin blower motor. For the sake of empirical science ordered 2 blower motor fan assemblies: one from the dealer and one aftermarket from Rock Auto.

Can confirm the usual recommendation against the aftermarket parts (if one can afford, of course).

The aftermarket one is UAC BM 9180C. It weighs much, much less, the fan wheel geometry is smaller and it whines a little. Not an unpleasant sound, but it is there. Looks like Chinese cut too many corners.

I am also disappointed in the original OEM Lexus unit. I never had anything like that on my panthers that I ran for decades and millions of miles.
Toyota part number is 87103-60250 (fits LS400 as well)

Not your NASA level high-tech stuff... Toyota could do better for the price.
Edit: mod can delete. I was looking at the rear fan. Buying 87103-60250 now. Thanks to OP! I have a banshee in my dash also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom