Blower motor relay location (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My AC blower blows at low speeds not high. Previously the opposite was true and I replaced the resistor. Apparently this means the blower relay is bad. The FSM locates it behind the dash somewhere above the blower/evaporator. Another diagram locates it above the relay panel on the drivers side kick panel. I've looked there and can't find it. Has anyone replaced it and/or know the part number ?

There is a pack of relays behind the dash, at least on my 94. I think it was above the ductwork. I lost high power and it was because the relay had melted, hopefully not yours. I had to replace the small harness that connected to the relays.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks very much! I couldn't identify the relay anywhere and the truck is in Belize so I need to take one with me. Did you remove the dash or find another way? I'll try the glove box route.

I replaced my evaporator core and expansion valve, and did the relay wiring at the same time. I had the lower dash opened up. I can see wiring from the gaps at the side of the glove box and I think it is the same wiring. Might have to reach over and above the evaporator.

Ok, thanks. That relay is proving to be almost impossible to find.

Alright, so ive got something similar going on. Few days ago I installed a new radio on a 96'. Long story short my clock and cig quit working. So I replaced the fuse and got those working again. But my climate control decided to only blow on low speed no matter what setting i press. But it also is only blowing cold now. Im guessing that something shorted out while i was digging around with the radio (im pretty sure the old radio was never grounded properly)
My question is would the blower relay also control temp? Or could I have shorted several relays, ie the blower relay and maybe the heater control valve?

Does your blower blow on all the low speeds or just the slowest ? The low speeds are controlled by a resistor, the high setting is independent of the resistor. I don't know if my heat is out or not, the truck has always been in Florida and Belize so I've never used heat. Kind of sounds like multiple things are blown.

High speed relay is behind the glove box in the Evap area (up high, sort of tucked away). High speed bypasses the resistor so if you are lacking the high speed fan setting then the relay (or wiring/connection) is the culprit.

Relay 88630_20020.jpg

Last edited:
Does your blower blow on all the low speeds or just the slowest ? The low speeds are controlled by a resistor, the high setting is independent of the resistor. I don't know if my heat is out or not, the truck has always been in Florida and Belize so I've never used heat. Kind of sounds like multiple things are blown.
Yeah no matter what fan speed I select. It blows low. So sounds to me like I’ve gotta get to that blower relay.

Any ideas if there is a relay or fuse that would control the temp?

The way I understand it the relay up behind the dash controls the blower on high, the low speeds are controlled by a resistor mounted by the blower motor. I've replaced that one, it's easy. I haven't made it in to the one behind the dash yet, so my blower only works on the low settings. I'll try too look up the fuse and relay diagrams for the heat. I have them somewhere.

If you look earlier in this thread, you'll see that there are actually 2 relays behind the dash for the blower. The relay diagrams show the smaller one located behind the drivers side kick panel near that relay block. On the later models they relocated it behind the dash.

If you look on the home page of the forum right now right hand column somebody just posted a cleaned up version of the FSM for 93-94 LC. That should have electrical diagrams and fuse and relay locations even though yours is a 96.

If you look on the home page of the forum right now right hand column somebody just posted a cleaned up version of the FSM for 93-94 LC. That should have electrical diagrams and fuse and relay locations even though yours is a 96.
Sweet I’ll try and track that down

I'm in the same boat - fan only blows on low, and I've replaced the resistor pack so I know that's not the issue. I can easily get the blower relay out. It's reachable when you pull the glove box out. I don't see any visible damage - the harness and the relay look clean. Is there a way to test it to see if it's bad? I want to make sure that's the problem before I start ordering parts.

The relay in my truck (1994 FZJ80) reads 061700-1200. Is there a difference between that and the 061700-2760 or are they interchangeable?

Sorry,just saw this. They look identical, there are earlier pictures in this thread that show both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom