Block drain leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if I'm using all the correct words for these parts but I'll do my best to explain my question.
I was redoing the coolant system in my 74 (flushing/changing hoses and such) and in the process took the engine drain plug out to flush the block. There was a lot of gunk in the plug that I removed and it was draining pretty well by the end of it. But now when I put that brass plug back in, it keeps draining around the plug. It seems that the drain plug screws into a "block drain" piece which screws into the engine block. I thought maybe the gunk was sealing that block drain piece (and maybe it was), but I can't unscrew or tighten that guy at all, it's frozen solid. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions on what to do next?

If its the same as on the 2H.. its a two part drain fitting. If you've removed the first part, and now cant get it to seal, and cant get the second part out to remediate it then you have two choices..

1. Make it seal with some JB Weld, or preferably a lot of silicone tape and pipe dope.

2. Force the issue and deal with broken threads, drilling out the old fitting, retapping the threads etc and making it all great again.

If you dont have the engine out for significant other work I would be getting it to seal by hook or by crook prior to making it any worse.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if I'm using all the correct words for these parts but I'll do my best to explain my question.
I was redoing the coolant system in my 74 (flushing/changing hoses and such) and in the process took the engine drain plug out to flush the block. There was a lot of gunk in the plug that I removed and it was draining pretty well by the end of it. But now when I put that brass plug back in, it keeps draining around the plug. It seems that the drain plug screws into a "block drain" piece which screws into the engine block. I thought maybe the gunk was sealing that block drain piece (and maybe it was), but I can't unscrew or tighten that guy at all, it's frozen solid. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions on what to do next?
If its the same as on the 2H.. its a two part drain fitting. If you've removed the first part, and now cant get it to seal, and cant get the second part out to remediate it then you have two choices..

1. Make it seal with some JB Weld, or preferably a lot of silicone tape and pipe dope.

2. Force the issue and deal with broken threads, drilling out the old fitting, retapping the threads etc and making it all great again.

If you dont have the engine out for significant other work I would be getting it to seal by hook or by crook prior to making it any worse.

View attachment 1971151

DSCN0949.JPG
DSCN0950.JPG
DSCN0951.JPG

Congratulations on getting the block drain to actually drain. It’s the low point of the cooling jacket and crud likes to settle right there. Often, block drains get overlooked or forgotten and when they’re finally opened or removed, they are so plugged that extreme measures are required to get a flow going again. For that reason alone, I think it’s a good idea to keep the drain working properly and to use it now and then to keep it free and clear. If you have a good functioning drain, you’re more likely to open it up now and then to drain a few ounces to remove any settled junk.

Hi everyone,

whats happened ( IMO ) is the larger sediment and cast iron CRAP sludge that settles there has gotten inside your female threads

as it was draining out , Kinda like a Sluice Box On GOLD RUSH , when u reinstalled your Brass plug , the male threads got Grinded

into the CRAP Sludge iro bits , since its Brass and softer , it formed around them , hence making a BOMB proof Thread Locker situation

the meshing now of the conformed brass to the iron Bits , has created almost like a Wheel Chock situation , if your following me

I would try this , u need Heat to Remove and free up the Brass plug now , well i am NOT suggesting a Torch in any way to be clear

, but take your truck for a Test drive , on the way back to your shop , Run her Hard , hard as u feel u can or should .

then get to your shop fast , park , pop hood , then wait like 5 solid minutes , this time will allow the engine block to POST run heat

up a bit , then get on that brass plug , with your 14mm offset box end wrench , or what u can apply good leverage with ,

the HOT brass plug and cast iron should have expanded enough to Free Her up , enough to break loose ...................

Hopefully :)

after u get brass plug freed up , use one of these to twist out the FEMALE threads of any and all Foreign matter an d CRAP Sludge

spray out with hose too when done

after the re-install brass plug and Torque to FSM Specs. by Hand ...

NO Impacts air tools here on this puppy .........

DSCN9759.JPG

Actually the brass piece is the part that's easy to remove, the female thread piece is the one that's stuck. I think the previous owner may have crossthreaded the female thread piece and didn't screw it all the way in and now it won't come out. The brass piece I think was overtightened and has a few threads made at its tip since it's softer. The coolant now makes its way through those threads and out the side-hole on the female piece.
I'm not sure if it's worth going the hell to try to remove the female piece and buy the new ones you posted to fix it or just put some JB weld around the brass piece and clog it back up.

Ok ........................................:confused:

well , typically the Steel Block Drain Fitting with female threads Never gets Removed , only brass plug does

I would NOT attempt removal of the Steel fitting with Female Threads without good thought and a solid plan

My Machine Shop Fellow , master Machinist for all his life , ( Older Guy ) told me Never to remove , the F and 2F gets Hot Tanked in

Place , I have never personally removed one due to just that .......

its Risky in some way is all i know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom