Black wheel lug nuts....ideas??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anthony.L

Looking for the end of the road...
Threads
Ok, so the stock lugs are chrome and very unique to the LC. I'm pretty sure aftermarket lugs do not exist, at least I've yet to run across any. Correct?

So, anyone change their stock chrome lugs to black? What's a good process for paint/coating/etc that will last and not chip off in a couple weeks?

Thanks!

Self gratuitous picture to explain why I'm posting this question.

after.jpg

They sell black caps at Autozone. Not sure how long they will stay on since they looked cheesy. I painted mine with spray paint when I touched up my rims (didn't pull the rims off). I have removed the tires to rotate them, had a shop removed them to balance and so far just a smidgen of paint has been removed. you could always tape off your rims and spray them. I wouldn't want to get spray paint on the powdercoat, its to nice to have spray paint all over them

pic from the "ghetto rim" thread lol

attachment.php

10952_1159565145347_1114320240_30673691_6058158_n.jpg

Last edited:
I obviously was thinking about just rattle can them. However I was worried about how well it would stick over the chrome. Guess I could sand them some to rough it up first.

Hmmmmm...what about having the lugs sand blasted first, then rattle can.

I'm really trying to avoid something that will start to chip and look cheap and then have to be "touched up" constantly. Hence the reason I paid for my wheels to be powdercoated vs. most who just rattle can them.

I just washed my rims and sprayed them. Seems to stick to the chrome alright.

What paint did you use exactly, I know some "etches" into metal better than others.

Since you painted the lugs while the wheels were mounted, have you since taken the lugs on/off? Does the lug nut wrench chip the paint while removing?

once to rotate, and another to have them balance. Both times had a impact wrench on them. Some paint came off (around the edges, thin line) but not enough to really make a difference or need to resprayed.

Checked out Gorilla, and they do in fact make lugs that fit the LC. However they only offer Chrome and SS finishes. So I might as well just paint the stock ones. Thanks anyways!

which size lugs do we need for the 100 series from the gorrilla site?

14MM x 1.50

Click on the second link I posted for gorilla, thats the style you need and then find a place that sells the part number for 14mm x 1.5 and w/e color you want

pman is dead on. Here is a link to the store where I ordered the Gorilla lugs. I placed the order today and an hour later I got an e-mail saying my order had shipped and a UPS Ground tracking number. So far awesome customer service! I will post back once they arrive and I install them.

Gorilla 14mm x 1.50 Thread Black Lug Nuts Acorn Bulge Seat 3/4" Hex Head

$1.38 per lug for 20+ lugs. $8 UPS Ground shipping.

This may sound funny but....I've got gorilla's black nuts

Let us know on quality and how they hold up. I may replace mine ( I'm now going through my rig and replacing stuff that is ghetto or broken...now since I have a job and can actually do things right now). Not that I have a problem with the spray paint. But it's all about the detail on your own rig.

But it's all about the detail on your own rig.

Exactly! Plus if I dog on the spray paint enough and keep showing pics of my powdercoated wheels you might cave and have them done right! :flipoff2:

wheels_flat_black.jpg

Exactly! Plus if I dog on the spray paint enough and keep showing pics of my powdercoated wheels you might cave and have them done right! :flipoff2:

wheels_flat_black.jpg

:rolleyes::frown::flipoff2:

I know I know. My rims get pretty scuffed up after about 3 months of wheeling. I'm not sure how well powder coating would do. I just don't want to plunge 400 bucks grind some paint off. I'd put that 400 in a snorkel or towards sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom