Black rubber strips on the roof ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I could find just a roll of these in bulk. They help keep crud away from the holes where the roof rack bolts through. I seem to lose 2 or 3 a year.
Silicone brother, see post above.

I just realized I am missing two on one side and one on the other. Are they really $50 a strip each?

I just realized I am missing two on one side and one on the other. Are they really $50 a strip each?
Yes, likely because of the metal strip molded into each one. I believe this strip is part of why people lose them.. they get bent into a light curve during install and this applies upward pressure that allows them to slip out among the aerodynamic things going on above the vehicle at speed.

With clean channels and careful install I haven't lost a single one in 80k miles.

Yes, likely because of the metal strip molded into each one. I believe this strip is part of why people lose them.. they get bent into a light curve during install and this applies upward pressure that allows them to slip out among the aerodynamic things going on above the vehicle at speed.

With clean channels and careful install I haven't lost a single one in 80k miles.

Well bummer, trying to decide if I really "need" them now lol.

Funny, I just blew mine off in the car wash on Friday. I'm gonna replace with some silicone but if they blow off again, I doubt I even replace them.

Well bummer, trying to decide if I really "need" them now lol.

From the crap that gets under the stock roof rack feet even with them in place, I picture that collecting a whole lot of decomposing junk if they are gone, creating an acidic environment.

Not much evidence to support this but I also believe they serve to protect that area from UV damage. That’s where Toyota welds the side body panel to the roof, then fill with a sealant, then paint.

I only found that they were missing because I have a crazy ant infestation that I partially tracked down to the roof. I currently have Terro liquid ant bait traps all over the Cruiser, both inside and out lol.

I took all of mine (that remained) when I put my Gamiviti rack on and haven't missed them. Prior to that I had to check them any time I went to a automated or touchless car wash because there was inevitably one of two of the rubber strips blown out of position.

When I was installing the LC rack on my LX I saw that I had one or two missing. I decided not to get new ones since, where they were missing, the channel was clean. There was a lot of dirt and mud under the ones that remained.

I wish Toyota sold this by the role. All of them are same profile just different length. We need a crafty vendor who can extrude these and embed magnets in them lol. I’ve lost all of mine at least twice.

Maybe I'll just get an aftermarket roof rack instead lol.

Maybe I'll just get an aftermarket roof rack instead lol.

Not sure if it’s a problem in Texas but you’d still need em. Up here in PNW the evergreen needles get everywhere and the rubber strips keep them from piling up at the mounts where water could eventually intrude.

Not sure if it’s a problem in Texas but you’d still need em. Up here in PNW the evergreen needles get everywhere and the rubber strips keep them from piling up at the mounts where water could eventually intrude.

Oh I still need them for sure for the Oaks and Pines that we park under often. I only realized they were missing when I was crawling around looking for the source of the Crazy Ants on the truck. Turns out that they were nesting in the rubber in the drip rail. I just removed all of the pieces up there and shook out the ants and eggs and went nuts with the Terro spray. I'll be moving the rest of the liquid bait traps up there as well. The missing rubber bits will get ordered this evening.

The missing rubber bits will get ordered this evening.
Who has the best price on these?

I need both pieces for each side. Not jazzed about having to spend $115+ on a set of four.

To be honest I don’t even remember which online dealer I ordered them from, I simply googled the P/N and purchased from the best price. They are indeed extremely overpriced for what they are.

I ordered the two center driver's side strips at my dealer last July and again, in November. They are going to replace them under warranty. Still back-ordered. I need to light a fire under their butts. This is long enough. I had this same problem on my '08 Tundra. Seems like Toyota would get a clue and fix this. I glued the replacements on the Tundra with weather strip cement. Problem solved.

Call derrick at Stevinson.. 303.277.0293

Check your local neighborhood car wash’s lost and found. I just happened to look in my side view mirror during the drying phase of a
Drive through wash and saw rubber pieces flying off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom