Black 80 Series Production Numbers... how rare are they? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While shopping for my 80 series and then finding out about various specs and port installed options...

I have been wondering exactly how rare these rigs are. Specifically locked FZJ80's (not only black but just in general). I have seen the figures that 7% had lockers.

According to Coolcruisers.com build numbers are below for all FZJ80's.

• 1995.......14,208.......FJ80
  • 1996.......12,816.......FJ80
  • 1997.......11,502.......FJ80
However @SuperCruiser had posed slightly higher production numbers and posted numbers for 97' that special editions (40th & Collectors) had lockers at about a 26% install rate.

I have tired to reach out as he has been the only specific data I have seen, unfortunately it looks like he has not been active/responsive to PM.

I was initially looking for a locked white 96/97 ODB II rig, and while I didn't find the perfect one I did find my 96' Black locked rig. I do know that no matter the original production numbers a locked, clean tittle, low milage, rust free rig is rare as they only pop up for sale a handful of times a year. I attribute some of this to loyalty and owners being reluctant to sell. However now that a couple members have proven a 40-55K sales price is achievable for the right vehicle I would have though I would see more trade hands. I also agree with @cruiserdan that we will see these stock low milage examples go though the roof in sales price in the coming years.

My rig specifically is a 1996 FZJ80
Options as follows
Black paint/Oak interior
Factory LX450 colored Lexus leather (I can't confirm this, however it's what Craig @ cruiser parts stated. He told me it is the only one they have seen)
-K294 Lockers
-Wood Kit
-Gold Package (Just emblems, no pin stripe or tailgate lock)
-Rear Spoiler
-Sunroof defector (removed by original owner)
-No/deleted hood defector & roof rack
-Sunroof
-Running boards (Taken off and kept by me)
-Rs3000 alarm
-Car phone (I'm sure it was dealer installed, removed now)

It was purchased at Fox Toyota in Tennessee originally with a sales price of $50,994.00 which I assume would have been high for one of these in 1995.

My ultimate goal here to to see if someone can provide production numbers for locked FZJ80's by color for 95-97.

Also if you know why my rig came with the lighter leather. Maybe Toyota ran out of material or maybe mine was some kind of press car?

Production was 07/96, vin take says its production number 877 which I'm guessing is 877th for that month.

I have seen a couple members that have posted their low milage locked 80's below. However it would seem to me that there can't be more than 50 black, K294 80's left with low milage and being rust free. Especially no roof rack (delete) rigs. Although I know they are out there per the couple high milage, rusted east coat trucks I have found.

Pictures because I color by numbers, and apparently I’m not the only one.

5C7BF47B-B136-464B-A5DA-A881B89F307B.jpeg

BE2EA552-0A4A-41D8-9CB4-072BE57AE98C.jpeg

071DF5D5-DD27-4E8F-8304-BBE99ED9A7B9.jpeg

In regards to the seats, maybe those are re upholstered. The drivers seat side bolster has a poor fit with all the wrinkles to be OE. The passenger seat stitching on the bottom looks a little wavy on the flat insert. Perhaps these were made by Shane ?

In regards to the seats, maybe those are re upholstered. The drivers seat side bolster has a poor fit with all the wrinkles to be OE. The passenger seat stitching on the bottom looks a little wavy on the flat insert. Perhaps these were made by Shane ?

The wrinkles are from the foam degrading foam/being Baked in the AZ sun. The rest of the interior is in show room condition.I’m having new custom front leather made currently so I can recover with new OEM foam.

Nice truck! Huge bonus without the rack and locked!

The interior looks very nice compared to most, but I don't think there was a possibility anyone could get T to add Lexus leather as a one off special order and I am not sure it is much lighter than my 97' was 15 years ago when I bought it, just better cared for and maybe a little sunbleached.

To the point made earlier there aren't any public numbers on color production and untelling how many are left, black didn't seem too uncommon 15-20 years ago, but any nice Low mile locked 80 today is a rare one!

Congratulations, enjoy the truck!

Isn’t this regular oak color?
FEA815F9-3ABD-443B-96B7-6FEC98A3A9D3.jpeg

If you look at your passenger seat you posted, the bottom rear panel where your butt sits and the lean back lower panels do not exactly match the other face panels, you can see the color difference. It could be that an upholstery shop has replaced those panels due to wear or the mismatch indicates where leather is used vs vinyl. Katzkins leather covers are made this way as their least expensive covers and adding more leather to the face as a middle grade or all surfaces leather as the most expensive covers. Check out their web site to see the 3 choices.

I've always felt rarity was inverse to usability and fun factor.
The more rare, the less fun it is to use....especially considering the investment and intended future disposition.

My buddy in his yard has a black triple locked grey interior no roof rack. 200k on it I think might hbeen 215k. Needs interior redone otherwise pretty clean

My black 96 is even better.

It has chrome mirrors, chrome door handles, it had chrome wheels and even a chrome brush guard, with the gold plated front and rear emblems.......

Even more rarerererer.

I like chrome.

I've always felt rarity was inverse to usability and fun factor.
The more rare, the less fun it is to use....especially considering the investment and intended future disposition.

Bah!

Mine is probably more rare than these black ones.

1995 6M1 with gold emblems, grey cloth and x3 lockers. The cloth in a US spec 95 is what makes it the most rare out of those things.

I have zero issues using it but I am not into abusing it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom