BJ74 Poptop, modular top camper or something

FJBen

SILVER Star

If you really want to use a car for off road and overlanding , I personally think that the 74 is too small .
It "could "do the job but you will be quite crapmed .
For 2 people , in 3 or 4 , it will be impossible , especially with bad weather .
Will be a pity to invest so much money ,time ,energy .for a cramped vehichle .
My suggestion would be a 75 or 78 .
The money you will be spending will be the same .
But the final result will be a complete different level.
Oh I fully agree, but this is just going to be a fun hobby vehicle that I can take camping. This will probably never take my family all together camping. It's cramped enough in our 4 door tundra, plus dogs, and our camper we tow.

My next step would be to get a small off-road trailer or pop-up. I don't have any plans to travel the world or live in this at this point so maximum room isn't a necessity. Having a cruiser I can run soft-top, hard top, pop top, bikini top, no top that I can swap around in an hourish of time, will be epic.

Besides, what troopy can do this? :)
IMG_7952.jpg

You have a cool project on your hands. I guess you are going to use the old top as a Mold to make a new cap that fits over your old one.

Roof top campers seem to be really popular now. I think it comes from desert camping in AU which has alot of dusty environment and poisonous snakes. Pitching a tent on the soft dust ground would become a dirty sleeping environment in a couple days. The pop-ups are fast and keep you off the ground in a torrential downpour where the ground would be saturated, or mud. Going off roading all day and needing to pick a site to camp as the sun goes down without really planning it or having a good spot picked out before hand.

3 Ideas for sleeping inside the 73 or 74 without building/buying a pop top: Seats that fold forward completely and sling a hammock inside the vehicle( it's a bit tricky but doable). Seats that fold forward and use military stretchers as beds rested on dashboard and suspended by rope/chain/ratchet straps in the back. 2' plywood extension to the rear floor that folds inward for packup and folds out with cables supporting the ends then trifold foam or air mattress and sleep on the floor rear doors open with tarp or bug nets over the opening per circumstance.

FJBen

SILVER Star

You have a cool project on your hands. I guess you are going to use the old top as a Mold to make a new cap that fits over your old one.

Roof top campers seem to be really popular now. I think it comes from desert camping in AU which has alot of dusty environment and poisonous snakes. Pitching a tent on the soft dust ground would become a dirty sleeping environment in a couple days. The pop-ups are fast and keep you off the ground in a torrential downpour where the ground would be saturated, or mud. Going off roading all day and needing to pick a site to camp as the sun goes down without really planning it or having a good spot picked out before hand.

3 Ideas for sleeping inside the 73 or 74 without building/buying a pop top: Seats that fold forward completely and sling a hammock inside the vehicle( it's a bit tricky but doable). Seats that fold forward and use military stretchers as beds rested on dashboard and suspended by rope/chain/ratchet straps in the back. 2' plywood extension to the rear floor that folds inward for packup and folds out with cables supporting the ends then trifold foam or air mattress and sleep on the floor rear doors open with tarp or bug nets over the opening per circumstance.

I actually have 2 tops for this BJ74. I have the regular top that came with it, which is standard height, and I was able to pickup this European high-top from @gr8ful that is just a factory top with a mold/skin over the top. I'm too tall to fit inside the BJ74 with seats. I'm almost too tall to make this tent work, but it will be close enough :)

Interesting ideas and thread!

The flip back style has the additional bonus of creating a dry space below at the back of the truck, which is where you would be most likely accessing camp/cook gear and fridge/cooler. Have to make sure the doors would open as I believe you mentioned though. Match it up somehow with a side awning/tarp system that covers from the front doors to the back edge of the flipped over part and you have a larger living space out of the weather for those inclement camps or sun shade for the scorchers.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

gb

Top Bottom