BJ74 FRP Top weight limits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1986 BJ74 with an FRP top. I am curious to what weight limits the top can handle? Need to fit a 190lb rooftop tent.

anyone know the limits or reinforce the shell/rails?
Thanks

Don't the know the specific weight restrictions, but imagine the tent weight is not the final weight when considering the load capacity of the top.

190#+ user weight when tent is popped.

Sure you've taken this maximum weight into consideration. I passed on a BJ74 and one reason was the 'removal' fiberglass top, and assumed lower weight capacity.

Someone smarter than I will surely chime in to assist you further.

So a few options here and some thoughts.

#1 People have put racks/rooftop tents on the FRP and been OK. Those drip rails are not really strong enough for big loads, but people have been OK. Some have torn up those rails as well. No idea what the rating is, but I don't think it's really high.

#2 These fiberglass tops are old, so cracking and breaking would not be uncommon. Not to mention you probably won't be able to find another FRP top, however a good fiberglass place would be able to repair it.

@cruiserdan used thule artificial rain gutters to attach his roof rack with nutserts and it seems to be ok, although he isn't running a roof top tent.

In my opinion, the best way to run a tent up top would be to do a mini exo-cage and put it to the body like this. Maybe triangulate it a little better but then you aren't dealing with old fiberglass.

1*iXvN7RpZ0ZpM7shKAamnmw.jpeg

Other options are a mix of that that may work.

lc70widefender6-jpg.342999

24-home-away-from-home-jpg.69760

I've been SLOWLY tinkering with a Euro-hightop FRP top I got to convert the BJ74 into a pop-top camper. I got lucky and found the top so I didnt have to hack my original one.
Here's a thread I've been slowly working on with it.

BJ74 Poptop, modular top camper or something - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bj74-poptop-modular-top-camper-or-something.1214677/

This is my photoshop.
black-hitop3-jpg.2340695

I used the artificial rails to attach my roof rack. I would go exo route to mount a tent IMO. Trail Tailor also made racks that used feet against the top to help with loads.

I modified a Front Runner rack for mine to fit like a glove and it's excellent. However I have a James Boroud that will live up there which comes in a 145 lbs. I'm going to make spreader feet to help distribute the load. I also installed a Euro spec roll bar, been considering drilling some holes and running some lag bolts through them to support plates at the top to support it. I don't want to drill the top, but I don't want it to crack either. Still debating solutions.... I'm hoping I slack on mounting it up there long enough to see an inspiring solution I feel good about...

tempImagehuIWQ2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom