BJ70 Storage Cabinet - new and much improved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd finally had it with my old storage cabinet. For starters, it didn't have a roll out drawer, it had a flip up lid in the rear. It was made out of cheap particle board and screws, it rattled to beat hell, I'd be constantly removing stuff from the top of the cabinet to open the lid...in short, it was a piece of crap
BJcabinet14.jpg

So I thought about it a long time....say a couple of years (ok, I'm just lazy). I wanted something that was befitting the rest of my truck, did'nt rattle, was way more functional, and most important...didn't look like some shop students who rode the short bus to school made it. I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. I started with 2 - 3/4" 4x8 sheets of birch and took them to a wood-worker guy I know. We cut the pieces for the base, drawer and lid, fit them all so I had no more cutting to do, them took them back to my garage
BJcabinet1.jpg
BJcabinet2.jpg
BJcabinet3.jpg

All the pieces were cut for biscuits, glued and clamped....no screws were used in the construction...what you end up with is joints that are a solid piece of wood that will never fall apart.
I used a length of 1" C-channel across the top to strengthen the project and act as a strike point for my paddle latch. I also routered and sanded all the edges for a nice rounded look that would'nt splinter
BJcabinet4.jpg
BJcabinet5.jpg

Then I carpeted the top with flex-form carpet...I used this stuff on the cabinet in my 100 series and it's awesome stuff..very forgiving and has a nice look & feel to it. I had pre-drilled all my holes for my fridge slide and cargo points that were being installed at the end so I just sprayed glue all over it and laid it flat and stapled it...I cut out the pre-drilled holes after.

Next I painted everything with primer, then with a high gloss super enamel paint...2 coats, a 220 grit sanding, then a final coat
BJcabinet6.jpg
BJcabinet8.jpg
BJcabinet7.jpg

I decided not to use an expensive set of drawer slides. Instead, I cut the drawer to fit the base with just a little play...then I used a teflon glide tape on all the main contact points to keep from any wood to wood contact.....works pretty slick
BJcabinet10.jpg

So here's the final product with the top installed and the base bolted to the existing capture nuts in my floor....So whaddya think??
BJcabinet11.jpg
BJcabinet12.jpg
BJcabinet13.jpg

dieselbigot said:
I decided not to use an expensive set of drawer slides. Instead, I cut the drawer to fit the base with just a little play...then I used a teflon glide tape on all the main contact points to keep from any wood to wood contact.....works pretty slick
Nice! I'm interested to know how well the teflon glide tape works when the drawer is fully loaded up with equipment.

hoser said:
Nice! I'm interested to know how well the teflon glide tape works when the drawer is fully loaded up with equipment.

So was I...I loaded it with tools, spares and camp gear and did a few test glides....it does'nt roll out with great ease like the cabinet in my 100 series does (I used 9301 Accuride slides on that one) but it slides out no problem. Now if you were a frail 95yr old lady I'm guessing youde have a problem, but with a little grunt, no big deal. The other thing I like about NOT having the drawer slides is that if you park on any sort of an angle the drawer won't slide open/closed on you....that's one thing about my other cabinet that drives me nuts. Another advantage is that you can slide the whole drawer out and place it elsewhere...that may come in handy for camping or if you need your tools out for a trail repair.

Very nice Brett- I consider your 70 one of the nicest out there!

GB

Would like to see some more posts on bumpers etc from you Brett.

Nice Brett, I can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks. :cheers:

I think it'll only be 3 of us with 70's this year

Looks good. It's amazing what 2 years of, umm... thought, research and planning will do construct a quality product. ;)

-kevin

dieselbigot said:
So here's the final product with the top installed and the base bolted to the existing capture nuts in my floor....So whaddya think??

Very Cool Brett :)

Cheers,

Michael

thats one of the best bumpers i've seen..

is it all custom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom