bj70 5sp & tcase into 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alf

Threads
This may well be a very stupid questions but will a 5speed tranny/tcase from a bj70 work on a 2f. Any issues if it does? Are there any performance improvements from this swap?

Kevin

Nice try Alf the but 3B has a 21 splines and longer input shaft (maybe) and the F motors have 10 or 11 splines.The only g/boxes that are interchangeable are between the H and F motors that I know of. I drive a 5sp behind a 3F and wouldnt have it any other way. Maintains 100-120 klms easy enough but have hit 140 klm and still pulling.
1st is so low I only use it for steep hill starts and offroad.

I was just looking at man-a-fre site and saw they referenced a fine spline setup for the B. Bummer as I had a line on a tranny and tcase.

Kevin

You can swap the input shaft into the BJ trans... sold several of them lately... seems like the H 5speeds are getting scarce?

If my memory serves me correclty the new input shaft is ~$200 and you would want to do a rebuild kit at the same time... $250.00.

Might make or break the deal, depenging on the initial purchase...

One other issue... the case may have the 1.9xxx:1 gears in the t-case... (brain still sore from finals week)

If you're not going with the 5 speed let those of us with 3B diesels know where the deal is at. PM me if you don't mind.

[quote author=roscoFJ73 link=board=1;threadid=8708;start=msg74881#msg74881 date=1071240503]
Nice try Alf the but 3B has a 21 splines and longer input shaft (maybe) and the F motors have 10 or 11 splines.The only g/boxes that are interchangeable are between the H and F motors that I know of. I drive a 5sp behind a 3F and wouldnt have it any other way. Maintains 100-120 klms easy enough but have hit 140 klm and still pulling.
1st is so low I only use it for steep hill starts and offroad.
[/quote]

You would need to pick up a F/H series input shaft # 33311-60121 ..IIRC you can get the new shafts for about $200, you would probably want to rebearing the thing since you will have to have it all apart anyway.

Sheldon Walsh

Looks like I am going to move forward with at least procurring the diesel H55 tranny/tcases. The input shaft has already been sourced (thanks Kurt) and I have read a bunch of stuff on h55 swaps but mainly into FJ60's.

Here are the primary issues:
The shift lever is going to move 4-6 inches rearward of the stock location which may be a bit crowded in my 40 (any thoughts?). The transfer case shift linkage may need to be modified

I will have to add a crossmember for the tcase.

Front and rear drive shafts will have to be modified.

Parking break will have to moved from the tcase to the rear drum via a man-a-fre kit or similar (any other options here?).

Skid plate may have to be modified.

Speedo error adjusted.

Can you guys think of anything I am missing.

Kevin

Kevin,
What makes you think the shift lever will move?? The H55 will bolt up to the 4 speed bellhousing thus maintaining your shifter position (the trannys are the same except for the addition of the counter gear on the back). The transfer shifter will move rearward but only about an inch or so.

I would also think that you do not need an additional crossmember as the 2F is supported from the bellhousing with no additional support under the current transfer case (the BJ60's with H55 trannys do not have a support under the transfer, just under the transmission because there is no support at the bellhousing).

You could go to rear disk brakes with the Caddie e-brake calipers. That's what I'm contemplating on the FJ55 restoration.

Sent you a PM on some other stuff.

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=8708;start=msg76626#msg76626 date=1071623551]
Kevin,
What makes you think the shift lever will move?? [/quote]

The top covers are different, are they not? The shifter cane enters the top of the trans top cover in a location more aft on the five speed vs. the four speed...I guess the ones that I have seen sure looked that way, but I could be wrong.

The top cover is not different, with regards to shifter location, so far as I know. I swapped an H55 into my '82 BJ60 from the '84 BJ60 and they both lined up in the exact same spot, it's the transfer shifter that moved slightly rearward, I know 'cause I could not shift into hi4 until I swapped floor plates between the '84 and the '82 as well!
BJ60's were 4 speed until '83 and 5 speed thereafter. The top cover on the FJ55 4 speed looks the same as the ones on the deisel trannys as well.
The cover is different in that the 5th gear shift rod projects out the rear and works a lever that protrudes from the top of the 5th gear extension housing and the shift pattern is different as well.
But for the purposes of a transmission transplant I am 99.9% sure the shifter will not move.

The top of cover on the H55 diesel version is differnt than an h41. The shifter is on the aft portion of the cover vs on the front portion on the h41. It will move as previously stated.

In reviewing the gearing of the h55 and matching split tcase I have found that my crawl ratio will actually decrease which is a bummer. From all my research I have found that the H55 tcase and the stock h41 4 speed tcase have a low gear of 1.95:1. However the H55 first gear is 4.84 vs the h41 5.29. So while I am gaining the overdrive gear I am giving up crawl. There is some reference to a 5 speed tcase with a 2.28 low gear ratio but I don't believe this is what I am aquiring.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Can anyone confirm this

[quote author=alf link=board=1;threadid=8708;start=msg76656#msg76656 date=1071628311]
The top of cover on the H55 diesel version is differnt than an h41. The shifter is on the aft portion of the cover vs on the front portion on the h41. It will move as previously stated.
[/quote]

Yes, the top cover on the H55f that is installed in the BJ42 is different than the top cover of the H55f installed on the BJ60. The shifter is farther forward.

Dave

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=8708;start=msg76664#msg76664 date=1071630334]
Yes, the top cover on the H55f that is installed in the BJ42 is different than the top cover of the H55f installed on the BJ60. The shifter is farther forward.

Dave
[/quote]

I guess that's why my 4 speed and 5 speed swap went so easy :D

[quote author=alf link=board=1;threadid=8708;start=msg76656#msg76656 date=1071628311]
In reviewing the gearing of the h55 and matching split tcase I have found that my crawl ratio will actually decrease which is a bummer. From all my research I have found that the H55 tcase and the stock h41 4 speed tcase have a low gear of 1.95:1. However the H55 first gear is 4.84 vs the h41 5.29. So while I am gaining the overdrive gear I am giving up crawl. There is some reference to a 5 speed tcase with a 2.28 low gear ratio but I don't believe this is what I am aquiring.

Any thoughts?
Kevin

Can anyone confirm this
[/quote]
I just checked the FAQ for you http://www.birfield.com/~ramullen/FAQ/TEXT/08-01.html and thought you might have been wrong. Only very early H41s (late 60s/early 70s) and only those in FJ55s had a 5.something first gear. Otherwise, H41s and H55Fs share the same first gear at around 4.9. Another thing, are you sure you have a H41? They were really only available off shore there weren't even any in Canada. If you are thinking of the stock 4 speed in cruisers USA and Canada it's an H42, 3.something first gear. Difference between a H55F and H42 is bigger than dropping you axles to 5.29 in a Cruiser with a H42, fairly big difference in my opinion! Plus the 5th gear is nice...

Good luck with the swap! I think you have most of everything covered... :)

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=8708;start=msg76696#msg76696 date=1071633583]
I guess that's why my 4 speed and 5 speed swap went so easy :D
[/quote]

I think there are at least 3 different H55 shifter base positions, Mike M once told me this.

We know for sure the H55 that came with the 1HZ we installed has the same position as the HJ60, BJ60 and not sure but I think the BJ70.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom