BJ42 Rusted Gutter Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Thought I would share some pictures of the process in removing the gutter and replacing it with a steel gutter from Eureka Offroad.

The first couple of photos are of the rusted gutter on the shorty, and the reason to do this replacement. As you can see, the rust is half way across the door frame. The visor is completely gone, and the windshield bib is rusted out up in the corners (didnt get a photo of that).

Dan
DSC02390 (Small).JPG
DSC02391%20%28Small%29.JPG
DSC02392%20%28Small%29.JPG

The kit that I got freighted across to South Australia - I just need to get it welded and cleaned up before prime and paint, at this stage, I am considering POR15 for the gutter so that it never rusts again.

Ken doesnt usually provide the visor - as it usually is not the place that they rust out, but mine was so far gone, the PO actually held it up with white duct tape.
DSC02386%20%28Small%29.JPG
DSC02387%20%28Small%29.JPG
DSC02388%20%28Small%29.JPG

Had a little bit of issues with the passenger side door frame. One of the bolts into the windscreen did not come out and I didnt want to drill it out, so we unscrewed the nut and lifted the roof up and across.

I didnt want to bend or twist the rail that covers the three bolts above the door, so the whole lot came off and simply lifted out when the roof was on its lid.
DSC02393%20%28Small%29.JPG
DSC02394%20%28Small%29.JPG

I'll be watching with interest. Are you happy with the replacement gutter from Ken? My rust bucket hasn't gone into the panel shop yet nor have I had a quote for a stainless gutter from the local guys but I'm still umming and ahhing whether I'll just buy it from Ken.

Is there something about red shorties that make them rust like hell? the gutter in mine is in a similar state, was going to go for a fibreglass one, but this is another option. I've heard of a stainless steel gutter, but not sure who does them?

Is there something about red shorties that make them rust like hell? the gutter in mine is in a similar state, was going to go for a fibreglass one, but this is another option. I've heard of a stainless steel gutter, but not sure who does them?

Ha - tell me about it, I picked mine up in Newcastle, lots of rust spots everywhere. At the moment, I have cleaned it out, converted it and bogged them up just so I can pass rego. Then I will be able to hit it with the grinder and weld in new steel.

Dan

Haha, mine has almost fist sized holes in a few places, break the mig and angle grinder out sort of stuff, but I'm not in a hurry, I've still got my hj 45, well, it'll be going again after I finish the power steering conversion.:D

Ken from Eureka Offroad does the gutters in stainless as well. I got a quote for $330 for a stainless gutter from them that came with the front section as well. Stainless is the way to go because it won't rust and you can still use roof racks.

My gutter is also in a similar state but mine is completely missing the whole front section of gutter. Coincidence its also from Newy?

Kit looks good Dan but a few of us in ZA will prolly go with SouthbostonFJ's kits. Eureka's site and email is not functional so contacting them has been a stumbling block for us ;)

Ok,

Went down to the shed yesterday to take the new gutter to the welder - took both the new one and the kit, and put it together at the shop. The gutter is about an inch narrower across the front - as in the front bib is wider then the gutters across the top of the doors.

Looks like I am going to have to take in the fibreglass so that the gutter can be clamped and then the gutter can be tacked and completed.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom